Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,I have a 1999,130hp Johnson outboard that has oil injection.My question is should I bypass the oil injection system and just start mixing oil and gas.How much should this cost as this is something I can not do myself.This is my second year with this boat and have had no problems with it.Im just afraid that if something goes wrong with it,its going to be bad news.Any comments are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
18,972 Posts
The oil tank could be flushed independently of it's use,(not running engine but by removing oil tank or accessing outlet) using diesel or similar seasonally.
A diaphragm failure though is not as predictable if your unit has one in it's oil system.
Going back to mixing oil risks stale mix.
Unless failure is common on your year and model I would not sweat it.
Were I wanting to defeat it ,the sending wires would be disconnected multiple places and the oil line cut and/or plugged in probably two places also..
An hours labor rate would be plenty in my opinion and if doing a motor I'm familiar with it would take less time than that,but an hours rate would seem fair to pay a marine mechanic to do it. No more than that though.
Just my opinion.
Youtube shows some units being bypassed.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I got a similar engine...VRO went out once and it alarmed. Disconnected the oil tank, plugged the line and started mixing by hand when I fill up. It's an 89' 70horse. You know what your mixing for sure then. My.02

1 - 3 of 3 Posts