Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a female Brittany pup. I'm new to Brittany's, so I'm researching bloodlines etc. I want a 6-8 week old liver and white pup if possible, that ranges fairly close and would make a good house pet also. If any of you have Brittany experience, please help me if you would.
Thanks,
Woody

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Woody,

First, let me commend you as being a very discerning judge of bird dogs. Brits ARE the best.:D :D That said , here are a couple of random thoughts.

1. Read the "must read for bird dogs" thread here.

2. Be very very careful on picking a breeder. Be sure to hook up with one who breeds YOUR kind of dog - some breed for show, some horseback field trials, some obedience, etc. I'd pick somebody active in one of the Brittany Clubs here in MI. BEWARE the backyard breeder - most dont have a clue.

3. Buy a pup subject to healyh approval by YOUR veterinarian.

Good luck.

Natty B.:D

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Another point on picking a breeder. Most medium sized and large sporting dogs have some incidence of hip dysplasia (HD) , which is one of the worst problems a hunting dog could have. Brittanys are no exception. Be sure that both sire and dam as well as all four grandparents are OFA certified. If they are , the chances of HD in the pups will be practically nil. GOOD breeders will have already taken care of this important qualification of breeding stock and the "other kind" won't know what you are talking about.

Natty B.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Natty,
I'm aware of the medical problems that I need to check for, I had an English Setter many years ago that had to be put down on his 1st birthday because of serious hip problems. I have bred Springers and Goldens before, and always had hips and eye checks done before using a stud dog.
I'm new to Brittanys, and am gathering as much info as possible on bloodlines etc. I know that there are some breeders out there who have outstanding hunting dogs, but don't field trial them. Sometimes a good hunting dog for a recreational hunter who likes a close ranging, somewhat slower dog,wouldn't be competitive in field trials. I'm just looking for some leads on what those bloodlines are, and who has them, so that I can purchase a pup that is exactly what I want. (I'd much rather shop now, than try to change a dogs tendencies later, because the pup wasn't bred to do what I want)
Thanks for the help, I'm gathering info slowly, and your advise is well founded. Ignorant and greedy breeders are everywhere, even moreso since pup prices are so high. This leads to alot of matings that should have never taken place.
Regards,
Woody

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Ignorant and greedy breeders are everywhere, even moreso since pup prices are so high. This leads to alot of matings that should have never taken place.
Regards,
Woody

Amen Woody.

There are alot of people out there that are gonna regret what they have done to the sport later in life.

I know guy's who are pricing pup's right out of the avarage mans price range. Also breeding to bitches that they have never seen perform just because of her papers.

Reap what you sowe.

I think your doing the right thing buy checking around.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Check with Chuck Langstaff in Lansing. He will be at the Brittney field trail in Gladwin this weekend. I believe he only has orange but not sure. His dog did win cover dog of the year for closed breed last year.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Woody and I have already shared a few PM's about Brittanies and some local breeders, but for the benefit of others who may be watching and also looking for Britts (or any other breed for that matter), my advice is get involved in the "clubs" or at least with the people who are in the clubs that represent the breeds -- e.g. Michigan Brittany Club (MiBC). Most of these people take the breeds and breeding very, very seriously and can tell you everything you want to know (some times more than you want to know) about every breeder there is. You can also go watch hunt test or field trials to see how certain dogs from certain bloodlines run. Everyone has their favorite breeders for each dog and since Britts are a very popular breed, there are lots out there. My younger Britt came from Center Ridge Farms and is a gem.

Click Here for Website

But there are several others out there (e.g. Autens, John Hall, etc...) that put out some real high quality dogs.

Woody has the right idea, take your time and look at lots and lots of dogs. Big name kennels are good places to start, but that doesn't mean a local guy can't produce some great dogs -- like my Elliot:D :D :D

One thing on range and distance. Don't put a lot of stock in the whole "Close working" moniker about dog lines. I would suggest getting a big running dog and work on reeling them in. I made that error on my first Britt. I love her to death, but she won't leave my shadow when it comes to hunting. Great for thick woods (e.g. Grouse) terrible for phesant, quail, chuckar, etc... And the real problem is there isn't a damn thing I can do about it. You can't "cast" a genetically close working dog. HOWEVER, you can reel in a big runner. For my Elliot, I went for big structure and even bigger running, knowing I was going to reel him in to what I was happy with. I would strongly suggest anyone else do the same. Its very easy to reel in a dog.

Brittanies by nature are a good family dog, and in fact they make terrible "kennel" dogs. If you're not going to make them part of the family, you're going to have an unhappy dog. Ours both sleep with us, eat with us, travel with us, etc... If your looking for a dog that can spend a lot of time in a kennel or run -- go with a pointer, from what I can tell, they are much less dependent or should I say "co-dependent". Obviously, there's going to be exceptions to every rule, but in general, if your looking for a family dog that hunts, almost all Britts will fill that need.

·
Registered
390 Posts
"Britts aren't big dogs but they will give you all you want with their merry dispostion and their willingness to please.
Mine was named Daisy and we never had a bad day in the woods, just too few of them."

Gene Hill

Wish I'd written it, I just feel it now with 9 Britts, a great wife who hunts with me and too few days to do it. I am haunted by grouse.

o town

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Gene Hill, now there's a guy that is sorely missed. Remember his column "Tail Feathers" at the back of Sports Afield.:D

Course, that when there was a Sports Afield.:rolleyes:

Natty B.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
If you haven't found a Britt yet the Brittney Nationals are Oct 4 and 5 th at the Gladwin field trail grounds. This is a cover dog trail(except for the close breed) run on wild birds and the best Britt from the surrounding states will be there.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Can't disagree with any posts here. You're on track on finding the right pup.
There is a website called dualbrittanys on Yahoo groups that just announced 5 litters. I belong and these are the serious movers and shakers in the Britt breed. We intend to make our dogs dual champions, both in the field and in the show ring. We breed for temperment, style, form and bird finding ability.
Bernie Crain and a couple of others founded the site and, unfortunately, field trials have gone to the horses for Britts. You better be in good shape to trial for the kind of dog they consider the best of the breed. They are big range dogs but mine do both.
When I first got a great prospect, I went to this website and was shocked that they had taken a great close worker to the horses to compete with the pointers and setters.
Wellllll, being the refined and quiet person I am, I knocked the hornet's nest out of the tree. Among other things, I suggested Bernie bring his freakin' horses up to MI to hunt grouse and find out they couldn't hack the woods for 10 feet.
Bernie and I are good inet buds because we understand each other now and the Am Britt Club is suffering for membership because they took a common man's dog, a French peasant's dog that was bred for poaching on the nobleman's estates, working close and getting the hell out of there, and tried to make it a big runner.
If you go to DB's, have your hat in your hand and ask advice. I'll get your posts. There are some great people there, no, all of them are great. They have the best Britts in this country on paper. I have seen Britts that weren't on paper who could compete in the class, but this group, overall, is the best. No need to be scared or intimidated, but they have the best Britts and don't charge much more for them than a back yard breeder. The major players are here. Would suggest Jane Hopper in your area. Knows the ropes, knows grouse, woodcock and pheasants and will point you in the right direction and is just a great person. Sent a few others to her and they are totally freaked out with the dogs they found. We breed the best pups ever.
Having 11 Britts who are constantly in and out of the house, Lynn and I wouldn't change a thing. Never had a bad moment with them in 30 years and they love kids, will hunt their butts off and will come home from the hill to hang out with you.

otown

·
Registered
390 Posts
Gonna amend my last post and suggest you look for Phil Corlew, Jane Hopper or Diana Kibbutz at the trials. Will be glad to talk, point you in the right direction.

otown

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks alot guys, I have put a deposit on a pup who is now 2 weeks old. (I can't wait) I spent alot of frustrating time looking, reading, e-mailing, traveling to see dogs (like Greg M's), and field trials. I found a man who has bred dual-purpose Brittanys for close to 30 years, and had the best looking and performing dogs I've seen. He set me up with a family who had bred a female with a great background to the dog of his that I liked best. This was a planned breeding because of the bloodlines, not for convenience or money. I am very excited about my little liver and white female Britt. pup. Thanks again for all the info and help.
Woody

·
Registered
390 Posts
Glad you found a pup. You won't regret getting into Britts and I hope she's a serial bird killer. I'm coming up with 2 of my best dogs in a few weeks and I can't wait.
Good luck.

o town

1 - 16 of 16 Posts