Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crazy, ya, but just an idea of which no one I asked has a consistant answer. Heres the poop...I have a good 40 acres behind my house, low and marshy. Cornfields and soy on three sides. There is a creek that runs from front to back of property/approx 1/2 mile. What I'd like to do is get a beaver or two back there to dam up the creek and flood the back 40. The creeks is wet year round and all of the low property is wet year round. I know it is not as easy as catching a beaver and putting him back there and creating a duck and goose refuge. There are woodies and some mallards on the creek and geese on our pond and creek, but a nice large marsh out back would be better. Any advice from ya'll would be great. I know wetland "reconstruction" has many rules so I need to know my limitation before I get my hopes up.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Check out Jack's Waterfront Bar.

They have a huge beaver population, with Cougars and Pumas in the mix.

Careful, they bite!

·
Registered
571 Posts

Careful, they bite!
Tooo funny!!

How about Muscamoot Bay or Gull Island on Jobbie Nooner day! Wait till dusk, they are much easier to trap then.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
If beavers wanted to live there they would already be there. You don't have the right habitat.

Griff
Yep, that's the fact. Not likely that a "transplanted" beaver would take hold there.

You can contact your local soil conservation (SCS) office because there is some federal and state assistance for creating wetlands if you meet their criteria...I didn't :rant: But they do offer that technical assistance, so I'd go that route...may not cost you a dime. They should be listed in your phone book, or talk to your county clerk. But one word of caution...if that "creek" is designated as a county drain, which most are, the drain commission will have a bird if you try to dam it up. I know...I have that very situation. Drain commissioners are often considered anti-environmentalists because their whole job is to make water flow and drain wet spots...not plug drains and create more water. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Accidentally cut up some trees that happen to fall into the creek. I'm not sure what your thinking is exactly legal. But if you were logging and some trees fell in there nothing you can really do about that

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
just make it look like a beaver chewed the trees down and started to build a dam thats what i would do that way if some one comes out you can say dam beavers:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,436 Posts

Careful, they bite!
Does huge beavers mean there bigger than say the size of an average beaver or that there are a whole lot of em.

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
sorry guys, I guess I'm in the gutter too.

saw the thread title and I instantly went "Ohhh boy, this is going to go south fast".

Nice to know the congregation doesn't let me down any! :evil:

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
some serious mischief with the Federalis building a coffer dam up around the Shiawassee SGA.

I thought it was cool:D

They were unimpressed:(

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man should have seen that one coming! Thanks though for the ligit advice...thought I'd get a little info before I talked to the officials and was told no. Easier to ask for forgivness then permission, or something like that. I did think about the cutting of trees, but was a little worried about getting a heat from the state. There are beavers a couple miles away that have recently moved in, so maybe I'll have to wait, but in the mean time I'll work on "cleaning" some overhead brush.:rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts