Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading out west next year for elk and looking for a partner. I am leaning towards ID or CO for an OTC tag, but will also apply to MT (just in case). I plan on backpacking in and hunting very hard.

If this is something you are interested in and willing to work hard (not hunting from the truck or 100 yards off of a road), shoot me a PM and we can talk.

Have a Happy Holidays and good luck out there hunting!
Dan

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'd avoid Idaho. It will be a few years of wolf harvesting before their herd comes back well.
Posted via Mobile Device
As much as I would like to keep this rumor going (less people coming here), I'll say that wolf impacts are regional, some areas hit hard, others little or no impact. Idaho still has some good elk hunting, especially in some of the controlled hunt areas. Some first come first served quota areas did not even sell out last year including where I hunt. Hunter numbers were definately down, chasing herds took work. We got into some areas where no hunters had been in, we knew this from the fresh snow we had. 1 drainage is huge and holds several good herds and I could not believe there was not one other hunting party venturing in, granted I have horses so getting in and out was not that bad. We did see one wolf and quite a bit of sign. We all had wolf tags but unable to get a shot.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been to Idaho, and I have friends that go there every year. While it is true that there are wolf issues in some areas, the problem is mainly localized. This has caused some "traditional" hot spots to decline in elk hunting quality, while other areas have gotten better.

It is just like anything else, you need to do your research and not be afraid to work hard.
Dan

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
If the $$ comes around I plan on Montana for the 2010 Archery Elk Season. We went to Montana in 2008 and it was by far the best and most memorable hunt I think I have ever been on and I didn't even see an elk. I had never experianced the mountains before and it is an addiction I don't plan on giving up. The hikes were brutal but the scenery was incredible.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
used to guide in Idaho( middle fork units) naw just a rumor. there are a few wolves all over. just avoid the selway!

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
used to guide in Idaho( middle fork units) naw just a rumor. there are a few wolves all over. just avoid the selway!
The Sawtooth Zone was really bad the last time I was there. Have not heard anything updated though. I have a friend that goes to SE ID and they do not have any problems with wolves.

I think I will be applying to MT, and then I will go to ID or CO if I do not draw.
Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts