Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a steelhead trip on the big manistee river for 2 if anyone knows of a good contact please EM any info to [email protected] would like a winter trip and dont know if any fishing is done durring january so early spring would work also this is kinda a christmas gift and a chance for me to go also thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
check out troutscout.com for your trip, and then check out the fishing report page for some up to date action. we are fishing the river at least a few times a week.

·
Banned
5,734 Posts
thank you ive hear of a few others also, redmoose and tony wolty anyonr hear of these?
As a former river boat slave on the Manistee. I would go with any of them.
But if I had to choose one...... If that's the same Tony ( I think the last name is Wolte.. could be wrong) from the good old day's @ Tippy Dam Campground then book it.
Not too many people impressed me growing up Steelhead Fishing the Manistee. Tony did.
I am not knocking anyone's ability as a guide, there's alot to chose from .
I just had a chance to fish with him on numerous occasions and would refer him any day of the week.
Regardless, hope your trip goes well.
Wint

·
Banned
5,734 Posts
I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure Tony Wolte primarily fishes the Kalamazoo and St. Joe.
Last time i talked with him he had property on the K-zoo by Fennville.
Last time i fished with him was on the St. Joe years ago.
I hear he still fishes the Manistee here and there.

·
Registered
18,333 Posts
Tony runs Frost Bite Charters on the lower K-zoo by New Richmond. Friend fishes with him often and does pretty well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I worked with Tony years back and hear nothing but good things about his fishing abilties, I got his number the otherday and im going to give him a call, and see he does run out of bestchance charters and frostbite is what i see on there website

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you want to fish flys and C&R on the Manistee I would contact Jon Ray or Ed McCoy at Hawkins Outfitters.They are top notch guides and can put you on fish.I know they will do half or full day trips from now until the beginning of March.There can be some great fishing to be had in Jan./Feb.,with March being the start of the spring season.If you have any ?? fell free to pm me,as I have fished with them several times.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
As a former river boat slave on the Manistee. I would go with any of them.
But if I had to choose one...... If that's the same Tony ( I think the last name is Wolte.. could be wrong) from the good old day's @ Tippy Dam Campground then book it.
Not too many people impressed me growing up Steelhead Fishing the Manistee. Tony did.
I am not knocking anyone's ability as a guide, there's alot to chose from .
I just had a chance to fish with him on numerous occasions and would refer him any day of the week.
Regardless, hope your trip goes well.
Wint

gotta be the same one, used to have a toyota motorhome? I was thinking of pulling plugs? ive never fly fished bf not opposed to learning how to but dont have all the gear for that

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
All is well buddy, been floating around this forum for nearly ten years, quite entertaining at times... I abused a favorite walk in spot the other day with my pin and short stick ("hint" I run the shorter 9'6 for over hanging trees).. Four heads and a handful of trout in under two hours...

I'd be around more on the water if I was still craving Whitetails... Bought another Kent Co tag just today... Freaking Jerky is soooo good, and I have to break out the canner the next couple weeks..

Bounced the Grand a few times this fall, double digits both times, if that doesn't freeze soon I'll be making another run in the upcoming weeks...

Take care buddy,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the way things look im leaning towards making a trip on the muskegon instead of the manistee, closer to home and have never fished the upper muskegon and sounds like there is also the possiblity of trout on the muskegon thanks to all that have replyed

1 - 20 of 23 Posts