Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a new small portable heater for the shanty. Was hopeing to get some feedback on some. I like the MH9BX but wasnt sure how good it heats or if theres anything smaller that puts out good heat.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
853 Posts
Is what i use in my Guide.
Plenty of heat on low most of the time.
We put 2 guides together (with the connector) and 1 can do both shanties (on high) We do use 1 per if its really cold.
Pretty safe as it doesnt get to hot on top.
I think there about 79 bucks. (I bought mine from a tip from a member here !/2 off at Home depot ot lows for $35 a couple years back). Never skips a beat.
You'll like it.
--Dennis--

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
Another vote for a Little Buddy heater. If you keep your eyes open Lowe's will have them on clearance in a couple months for $40.

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Dunhams has the little buddys for $69.....at least they did Sat. when I was in there.

·
Registered
381 Posts
another on for the buddy heater. i heard the little buddy puts out some good heat to though. i have a coleman black cat that i use for a back up, it works, but you have to have it right under you, pretty much using it for a hand warmer is about all, but it does work in a pinch

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
When you decide what portable you want, do yourself a favor and buy the adapter to refill the one pound tanks from a 20 pound'er. It ends up costing about 75 cents per refill instead of $3 for a new one pound'er.

Its easy to do and its legal for personal use.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Tack another on for buddy heaters. I don't know how to feel about the automatic shutoff though. It can be irritating when it shuts off before it warms up. Maybe I'm the only one?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yea i have the little one i got it from a buddy last year he found it in his garage when he bought a new one, i picked it up from him for like 40 bucks ... but you could prolly get one a lil cheaper right now before christmas, try your local farm store.. i could look for ya when i go there in the morning...

·
Registered
610 Posts
One more here for buddy heater, my parents got me one for Christmas last year and i love it. we do a lot of crappie fishing at night and with the buddy and lantern in the shanty it is enough sit in a tee shirt and jeans.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well, It's been said a lot, but I'll add one more. Little Buddy Heater. Can't go wrong. That being said, I am also fond of the Mr. Heater Cooker for those days when I'm out long enough to need grub.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Yep, buddy heater is the way to go. I picked up a mr. heater cooker last year and the thing rocks to cook on. Nothing like some venison steak bites over peppers/onions in the shanty!

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
When you decide what portable you want, do yourself a favor and buy the adapter to refill the one pound tanks from a 20 pound'er. It ends up costing about 75 cents per refill instead of $3 for a new one pound'er.

Its easy to do and its legal for personal use.
Where do you get the adapter and hose?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Another for Mr. Buddy. Buddy also has an automatic shut off for carbonmanoxide. I also use my coleman lantern which does a pretty good job unless it is really, really cold out.

·
Administrator
27,206 Posts
In the market for a new small portable heater for the shanty. Was hopeing to get some feedback on some. I like the MH9BX but wasnt sure how good it heats or if theres anything smaller that puts out good heat.
Thanks in advance
If you weren't so far away, I'd sell you my extra Mr.Buddy for $30

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts

·
Registered
3,440 Posts

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
With a room temperature 20 pound tank and a completely EMPTY and FROZEN one pound tank you will get almost exactly 16 oz into the empty one pound tank.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts