Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Grand Rapids and I've been looking for a new steelhead rod lately. I was just wondering what places on the west side of the state would have the largest and best assortment of steelhead rods?

· Registered
141 Posts
Depends on how much $ you want to spend? Gandeer Mt., Al&Bobs, or Outdoorsmen have a pretty good selection of rods, cheap and higher end ones. Their are alot of people on this site that are having rods built for them as well. So you might want to look into that as well.

· Registered
3,708 Posts
Since steelheading is almost over. I would look to Stealheadfred and have him make me one. I've never fished with his rods but, knowing him, he's perfectionist and would make you one nice stick.

If your a fly fisherman and money is no object try the new Orvis Zero G 7wt 10 ft rod. You'll be hard pressed to find a better rod.

Good Luck,

Nice looking dog in your avatar/:)

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions everybody. Anyone gotten out and fished in the cold since wednesday? If so how have the fish been responding to the weather?

· Registered
5,581 Posts
quest32a said:
What kind of rod do you have slowpoke?
It's not one of those costly ones. I think it's a 12' eagle claw (yellow one). I caught a few steelheads with it and it did good. It would make a back up rod for someone or a new comer to the sport, not that it is a bad rod but it seems people want to spend a lot of money on rods now days when you don't have to. It was my first steelhead rod. I made me up one out of a graphite blank but I sold that one a while ago.

· Registered
1,632 Posts
BIGSP said:
Since steelheading is almost over. I would look to Stealheadfred and have him make me one. I've never fished with his rods but, knowing him, he's perfectionist and would make you one nice stick.

I wouldnt look at the run almost being over, This is the peak of the run in most rivers (depending where your at), this is what we've been waiting for get out and get your rod before it is truly to late GOODLUCK...

· Registered
12,979 Posts
Rivers and streams are still coming down around West Michigan... if you have a boat the Grand is fishable... but some of the streams are still a bit high and dirty. Hopefully we can get into some of them soon!!

And I agree... you don't need to spend big bucks on a rod, especially if you are just getting started. My main steelie rod is a Traverse Bay Tackle 9'6" medium heavy IM8 that I got at MC Sports for around $30 (marked down from $59... but they always seem to be marked down). It has been flawless the 2 seasons I've been fishing it now. Sensitive, good backbone, and a comfortable "Michigan" handle.

· Registered
5,581 Posts
slowpoke said:
It's not one of those costly ones. I think it's a 12' eagle claw (yellow one). I caught a few steelheads with it and it did good. It would make a back up rod for someone or a new comer to the sport, not that it is a bad rod but it seems people want to spend a lot of money on rods now days when you don't have to. It was my first steelhead rod. I made me up one out of a graphite blank but I sold that one a while ago.
Its 11 and 1/2'.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.