Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Looking for a mentor

953 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Divers Down
Hello,
It has been 20 years this fall since I last duck hunted. I would love to give it another go this year. I grew up in Gibraltar so I have been exposed to the sport all my life. I still have fond memories waking up to the sound of shotguns at daylight on those fall mornings. I have been really into deer/turkey hunting and fishing the last several years that duck hunting just fell off my radar but I really want to get out this year.
Anyone willing to get me up to speed? I have all the gear minus decoys (and dog) but could probably get some off friends from Gib. I would be willing to repay the offer in some way. Maybe some fall perch/walleye fishing or a rain check for a spring turkey hunt. If you're (unlikely) looking for a duck hunting buddy this year, I'm your man! 🙋‍♂️
Also wondering if anyone hunts from a kayak? I saw a couple guys in kayaks out last year when I was fishing and I saw them shoot some birds. Think it would be pretty cool to do in mine.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
I have a sit on top kayak. They are good for transportation, especially in skinny water situations, however, as a shooting platform they have LIMITS! I went for an unscheduled ,mid November swim testing the limits. Test failed, equipment lost, lesson learned. Make sure you have a floating gun case!.

I have a Jetsled to hold the decoys and I have a cover over the sled. I tow it behind the kayak.
Have any goose field access?
Hello,
It has been 20 years this fall since I last duck hunted. I would love to give it another go this year. I grew up in Gibraltar so I have been exposed to the sport all my life. I still have fond memories waking up to the sound of shotguns at daylight on those fall mornings. I have been really into deer/turkey hunting and fishing the last several years that duck hunting just fell off my radar but I really want to get out this year.
Anyone willing to get me up to speed? I have all the gear minus decoys (and dog) but could probably get some off friends from Gib. I would be willing to repay the offer in some way. Maybe some fall perch/walleye fishing or a rain check for a spring turkey hunt. If you're (unlikely) looking for a duck hunting buddy this year, I'm your man! 🙋‍♂️
Also wondering if anyone hunts from a kayak? I saw a couple guys in kayaks out last year when I was fishing and I saw them shoot some birds. Think it would be pretty cool to do in mine.
Reactions: Robert88
Are you going to Bay City waterfowl show?
Was thinking about it, my buddy was going.
Are you going to Bay City waterfowl show?
Working on some in the Milan and Willis area. Have the connection but looks like limited days
Have any goose field access?
Where are you located now?
Hello,
Trenton. My mother still lives in Kingsbridge Condos on the water there
Where are you located now?
Share a picture of your set up sometime if you get a chance
I have a sit on top kayak. They are good for transportation, especially in skinny water situations, however, as a shooting platform they have LIMITS! I went for an unscheduled ,mid November swim testing the limits. Test failed, equipment lost, lesson learned. Make sure you have a floating gun case!.

I have a Jetsled to hold the decoys and I have a cover over the sled. I tow it behind the kayak.
PM sent
Working on some in the Milan and Willis area. Have the connection but looks like limited days
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.