Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for a good home for my pointing lab. He is seventy pounds of bird finding muscle with zero fat on him. I bought him from Hunter’s Rose Kennel in Dundee, Mi as a started gun dog at six months old. He is three years old now, fixed, and has been on lots of wild birds in the 2 ½ years I‘ve had him. His prey drive is very strong and he will retrieve anything back to you. Great with kids and is good with other medium to large dogs. He is not good with smaller dogs, cats, or other small animals. Unfortunately, he got out of our backyard recently and got a hold of our friends cat to the tune of $2300. Regrettably, keeping him his no longer an option for my wife or I. He is up on all his shots and has been on Frontline and heartworm preventive year around all his life.

He works in flushing range, and will point maybe 50% of the time. I didn’t buy him for the pointing aspect, I bought him for his upland hunting build. So I never really did anything with the point, it just comes natural, when it comes. He will point woodcock most times and some pheasants, and will mostly flush grouse. Must go to someone I meet and like, and to a good hunting home.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'd move...............PM ME.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
...$2300.00 for a cat??? you must mean $2.30 ...tell me $2.30!!! lie to me!
What cat is worth that much? I'm thinking it must be $2.30 too, unless that Vets office is near a large field he could see the owners coming??? :lol:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Preferably he should go to someone who has a cat problem;)
It should be noted that this dog is littermates with GMPR Cooper who is one of the top dogs in NBDCA and just made top 8 in the Worlds. Cooper also was close to his MH on our last report.

If you can't find some one to take him (My vote is PACO) contact us.
Are you asking anything for him?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Preferably he should go to someone who has a cat problem;)
It should be noted that this dog is littermates with GMPR Cooper who is one of the top dogs in NBDCA and just made top 8 in the Worlds. Cooper also was close to his MH on our last report.

If you can't find some one to take him (My vote is PACO) contact us.
Are you asking anything for him?
I hate cats, always have. This just makes it that much worse.

No money, just looking for the right person/family. I have a few people interested, hopefully it will all work out well. Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Chris,

I am sorry to learn about your situation, I have sent this off to a few people that I believe would be interested.

I wish we could find a solution for you to keep him....

He is a well bred good looking dog with all the make up and exposure...I am sorry you have to make this decision.

Fritz

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chris,

I am sorry to learn about your situation, I have sent this off to a few people that I believe would be interested.

I wish we could find a solution for you to keep him....

He is a well bred good looking dog with all the make up and exposure...I am sorry you have to make this decision.

Fritz
Thanks for the help. It's a painful thing.

Chris

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I know it has probably caused some stress with your neighbors that I can see you call friends but what makes it alright for their cat to be running loose and not your dog. I get it don't get me wrong but your dog did would many dogs would have done. I can tell you want to keep the piece but you are getting the short end of the stick, $2300.00 or not.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I know it has probably caused some stress with your neighbors that I can see you call friends but what makes it alright for their cat to be running loose and not your dog. I get it don't get me wrong but your dog did would many dogs would have done. I can tell you want to keep the piece but you are getting the short end of the stick, $2300.00 or not.
:yeahthat:

I agree 100%. You've paid for the damage and I'm betting their cat strays into your yard from time to time, in which case no one can say your neighbors weren't warned if something happens in the future.

There are some real nice invisible fence products (wired and wireless) for sale out there that could keep your dog contained...

Good luck regardless if you're still going to go through with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What did you say your asking for him? Sorry to hear your dog is broken(fixed) and hope he finds a good hunting home.

Wondering stray cats drive me crazy, I have to blast them off my porch with the water cannon cause they drive my dog nuts. If the cat was on your property then there should not be a problem.

Jon

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the kind words. I have a few people lined up to meet him. I'm also still working on my wife for a last minute pardon. He's got three years of grouse hunting under him, hard to give that experience up:).

For those who asked for further info on the story. We have an acre fenced in for our dogs. The cable guy came over to fix something and left the gate open. We were not home at the time. Our brittany stayed in the back yard and the lab went over to the neighbor's field where I usually run him. Our neighbor was walking back from the barn with her cat when my lab ran up, grabbed the cat, and was off to the races with it. The cat was later found, a little worse for wear. Our lab just hung around our front yard until my wife got home and put him away.

The cat was taken to the vet, where we paid for the best medical attention money can buy.

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
Must be a really good wife to be keeping her over the dog.:lol:

Seriously tough decision, I hope he gets that pardon, if not I hope you find a fantastic home for him.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I am sorry but I have (2) cats and I would never think of walking my cats. So who in there right mind would walk there cat? If it is a barn cat then it should have been able to take care of it self.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Sounds like the dog just did what a bunch of them would do in that situation.
Sure glad I'm single. Your dog deserves a great home. One mistake that was really not entirely his fault and he's gone?
I know it must be a trying situation,and surely there is more to the story.Hope it all works out for you.

Paco

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Thanks for all the kind words. I have a few people lined up to meet him. I'm also still working on my wife for a last minute pardon. He's got three years of grouse hunting under him, hard to give that experience up:).

For those who asked for further info on the story. We have an acre fenced in for our dogs. The cable guy came over to fix something and left the gate open. We were not home at the time. Our brittany stayed in the back yard and the lab went over to the neighbor's field where I usually run him. Our neighbor was walking back from the barn with her cat when my lab ran up, grabbed the cat, and was off to the races with it. The cat was later found, a little worse for wear. Our lab just hung around our front yard until my wife got home and put him away.

The cat was taken to the vet, where we paid for the best medical attention money can buy.
Wow dude that sounds like extunating circumstances there! Not your fault the stupid cable guy let the dog out. Too bad about the cat though. Just how bad was this cat hurt? Good luck man.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I vote for Paco as well.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
sorry to hear it, I know a couple that just lost their 2cd dog in a month that would be a great fit. the 1st died of old age, the 2 and 1\2 year old lab died hunting this week . possible blood clot. let me know if the others dont work as this dog would hunt alot as they are part of the hunt club so it would see more birds per week than most see in a life

1 - 20 of 35 Posts