Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had to put my Vizsla down a couple of days ago . IMO he was the best dog I ever had "temperament/companionship" so I am now looking for another one . I am interested in a HEALTHY male pup to be a pet and grouse dog in the fall . I have no interest in show or field trials or breeding . So I am primarily looking at health and temperament a couple white patches are not a big concern . I have been told that on point in Canada is good . I have also heard there are breeders in Linwood and Freeland "close to home for me" . I will not go back to the breeder I used before because my dog had thyroid problems and allergy problems so he was on thyroid pills his whole life and allot and antibiotics when he would break out bad . I feel this contributed to his dying earlier than would have been necessary at 11yrs . If you do not want to post please PM me with your good and bad experiences . I have contacted the VCA to see what they have to say but am trying to make the most informed decision I can to get a healthy well mannered pup

· Premium Member
11,079 Posts
Sorry to hear about the loss of your dog.

· Registered
2,126 Posts
That really sucks. I lost my boy a few months ago. I bought my newest V pup from Michel Berner. She's a bit of a twerp (the puppy) at almost 5 mo. but otherwise outstanding. Michel is thorough about health testing. I've bought dogs from three different breeders and she was the most through. VCOI is a good place to start.

http://www.vizslaclubofillinois.org/BreederDirectory.htm

Good luck

· Registered
151 Posts
might you be interested in wirehaired viszla? If you are I know a competent breeder in Midland who lives and breathes these dogs. great lines! I have hunted with them and am very impressed with their water work, tracking , and bird work. I know he has a litter coming in a couple weeks although I am sure the pups are already spoken for. pm me if you would like his info. Hope it helps I know what losing a good dog feels like. Sorry to hear about yours.

· Registered
495 Posts
FSHHNTR said:
might you be interested in wirehaired viszla? If you are I know a competent breeder in Midland who lives and breathes these dogs. great lines! I have hunted with them and am very impressed with their water work, tracking , and bird work. I know he has a litter coming in a couple weeks although I am sure the pups are already spoken for. pm me if you would like his info. Hope it helps I know what losing a good dog feels like. Sorry to hear about yours.
I will second the wire-haired Vizslas if you do not mind a slower working, softer dog. My first HWV is 16 weeks old and I will say although I have had smooths for over 11 years I will never have another after owning this girl. You should check them out..

There is a litter due this summer (yes from Midland) listed here on Vidor Vizslas site. She also has a Feb. 2008 litter planned. http://www.wirehairedvizslas.com/

· Registered
495 Posts
rmw said:
So is the big difference just the coat ? Or are they intentionally bred to be a softer dog
Differences:
Coat (correct coat is seen on that site), calmer, more natural guard ability.

They were bred to be able to handle hunting in the colder weather and water better then their smooth cousins.

I should have clarified what I meant by softer...
This is not a breed for force training or e-collar training.
No, they were not bred to be a softer dog but being that they are still new to America they are far more like the smooths in Europe are. Calmer, softer, and a close hunting dog.

· Registered
151 Posts
WHViz said:
And I might add, they have more "bone and substance", and are larger than their smooth cousins. Just look like "more dog" when you see one in person.
'

Like you said they are more dog and can handle a more diverse set of hunting situations than the smooth coat. Much easier temperment to deal with as they don't seem to be so wound up all the time. If I didn't just get a drahthaar I would be into a whviszla. In fact I may get one in a couple of years when my new pup gets a little older.

· Registered
495 Posts
Here's some examples of the difference in "bone and substance" ..

Left: 5yo Field Trial bred Smooth Vizsla
Right: HWV at 15 weeks old

Left:11yo Dual bred Smooth Vizsla
Right: Same WHV as above at only 13 weeks.

As you can see even at 13 wo Breeze (HWV) has more bone and mass then her 2 sister dogs.

As far as rivalry goes...none here. I have owned & rescued smooths for a long time. Love the breed, but after 2 with health issues and not liking were I see the breed going I felt it was time for a change. Not to mention I was out voted 3 to 1 by the family...they wanted a calmer breed this time around.

· Registered
277 Posts
redvdog said:
, but after 2 with health issues and not liking were I see the breed going I felt it was time for a change. Not to mention I was out voted 3 to 1 by the family...they wanted a calmer breed this time around.
Amen to that!! Having owned both smooth and wire...ain't no turning back for me!

· Registered
913 Posts
redvdog said:
...Love the breed, but after 2 with health issues and not liking were I see the breed going I felt it was time for a change. Not to mention I was out voted 3 to 1 by the family...they wanted a calmer breed this time around.
Huh?

Calm dog, even temperament, good bone structure, stumbles on the occasional grouse/phez/mallard . . . mine must be a fluke of nature (or he's got a really good barber)! ;)

As many here have mentioned over and over again, there’s often more variation within a breed than from breed to breed. Find healthy parents that you like the looks of and fit your needs in the field and in the house. Do all you can to stack the deck in your favor. There are lots of field proven Vs in the US and Canada that don’t look like a four-legged Paris Hilton. Are there a bunch of pocket-rocket 35#ers running field trials? Sure, they’re out there! But if that’s not what you want, why buy a pup from them? Like I mentioned in my PM, it’s possible to find a great vizsla will fit your needs without too much effort. Just put in a little leg work on the phone and have a little patience.

I’ve watched both wired and smooth Vs in both hunting and social settings, and I can’t say that curly hair did anything but give the owners something to talk about. Are there good ones out there? Sure, same as any other dog. Are there hyper, lazy, ugly, short, fat, tall, bla bla bla… smooth coats out there? Sure, but the same can be said for pointers, setters, brits, griffs, labs, GSPs, GWPs, Weims, etc etc etc…

Best of luck in your search for a new puppy, regardless of the paint job or afro tendencies, and post up some pics when you finally get one!

-tom

· Registered
495 Posts
Curly hair? Shouldn't be curly...lol

As far as health goes..Yes, by all means buy from health tested parents no matter what breed you purchase and do your research far beyond asking a few people on this list. With research you can atleast feel you did all you could to get a dog who may be free of the problems we can test for (as I did with mine). As for the problems we can not test for (auto-immune, cancer, epi, etc...) ask around, email people who own dogs from the same line you may find some who will pass any information to you.

Are there nice smooths out there? Yes, Tec has a very nice bitch from a wonderful honest breeder. Just have to look, listen to many people from all sides of the breed, and drive to get one.

Tom in case the below was to me~
Are there a bunch of pocket-rocket 35#ers running field trials? Sure, they’re out there! But if that’s not what you want, why buy a pup from them?

I didn't buy her but felt she had served enough years in her wood box that she deserved a chance to live "the good life". I will say in hindsight I am glad she failed OFA since sending a return pup back would have killed me.

· Registered
10 Posts
If you have any doubt, I would invite you to come and watch my dogs work. Afro or not you will be impressed. If you like a dog that can handle cold, has great temperment, bigger bone (not hair) structure, and the hunt drive of a maniac you will like the wire over the smooth. When I got my Wired V I was looking for a smooth, you could not talk me into going with a smooth after owning a wire. If interested come on out to the field, I will put my money where my mouth is.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.