Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My youngest is 11 years old this week and he wants to get out and hunt, but he's beyond a pellet gun. I took him to the range to shoot my 20 gauge, but it was too much gun for him. I am hoping that one of the good Michigan Sportsman members might have a 410 for him to shoot. If I can borrow one for a couple of days, I'll take my boy to shoot it and make sure he can handle it before I go and buy one. I just need it for a few days. If you can help me, please reply or shoot me a PM.
Dan

·
Registered
521 Posts
I don't remember if you can get reduced recoil loads for a 20ga or not. However if you know someone that reloads they can make up some loads that have a lot less recoil. This would prevent you from haveing to purchase another gun, and If you are hunting waterfowl then you can switch to steel in 2 3/4" Your 11 year old won't care about the recoil when shooting at game.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Daddyduck, steel shot is available, you usually have to buy it by the case. It's not easy to find, thats for sure.

Jim, thats a good suggestion, I may have to pursue that, but I have 5 kids and already two grandkids, so if I have to buy a 410 it will get used through the years.

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
My kids had good luck with an autoloading 20 ga. My genuine feeling is they react more to the report than the recoil. They went straight to heavy load 12 ga's soon after the 20.

I have an 1100 20 ga that you could try, but how would that work?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
My youngest is 11 years old this week and he wants to get out and hunt, but he's beyond a pellet gun. I took him to the range to shoot my 20 gauge, but it was too much gun for him. I am hoping that one of the good Michigan Sportsman members might have a 410 for him to shoot. If I can borrow one for a couple of days, I'll take my boy to shoot it and make sure he can handle it before I go and buy one. I just need it for a few days. If you can help me, please reply or shoot me a PM.
Dan
just a quick question when you took him out did he have on a coat or just a shirt? recoil is more manageable under hunting clothing.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
N.E. OUtdoorsman, I agree with you that the report is worse than the recoil on the 20 gauge. I think my boy has it in his head that a 20 gauge is just too much for him (he was with me when I shot it and he was a bit scared of it). I appreciate the offer though, I may take you up on it.
Dan

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Duckhunter 382, he didn't shoot the 20 gauge, I shot it. After seeing it kick and hearing the report, he wouldn't touch it.

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
I would make sure he/she has a good pair of ear muffs on. My trick was to shoot the gun first for a demo. I held it tightly with both hands to reduce any visible signs of recoil. Then, I offered each of the Boys a chance while keeping both hands on the gun, still reducing the felt recoil. It's been nothing but buying more guns after that!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have a 410 break barrel.
PM me. I will meet you at a shooting club or something.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I thought the smallest caliber you could use to hunt waterfowl with was a 20 guage.

If you simply want to shoot some with the 410, I have a single shot I started on as a small kid. You are aelcome to borrow mine anytime if we are in the area. I will be up near Higgins Lake area this weekend if you need it for an afternoon.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
IMHO, I would concentrate on getting him accustomed to the 20ga and forget about the 410 unless you are going to have him water swat them, which is fine. Since he has not shot the 20ga, I would take him to shoot skeet with it using light loads, after he is used to it I would swap out the loads with some light and slow duck loads. Is your 20ga a semi? If not that will make a big difference. They also make semi 28's that might be good for him.

Really though, this is something that you would have had a better chance with if you started him early in the summer. A quick couple hours of shooting the week before duck season is just not enough IMO.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Duckhunter 382, he didn't shoot the 20 gauge, I shot it. After seeing it kick and hearing the report, he wouldn't touch it.
I'm sorry ! If he's afraid of it ? Then as much as you would like him to shoot/go with you, I think you should just back off for the time being. When he's a little older he might be able to handle the fear factor. I've got a 20ga. featherlight that flat kicks more than my 12 double. Now ! 2 3/4" loads are
good. If you can find some pheasant/skeet loads to shoot after a week or so break you might try those. But again if he's afraid, only time will help it out.
Let "HIM" make the decision.....I want to shoot it/try it, etc. If you force him you just might loose him. JMHO

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TSS Caddiss, I agree with you about starting this process before now. We actually went to an indoor range in August, which in retrospec, worked against us. It was hot, very loud, and the guy going through mags of 9mm for his Glock was just too much for my little guy. When I brought home two mallards Saturday and cooked them, now he is on me again about hunting. If I can get him out with me with a gun he is comfortable with it will be worth it.

Mike L, my 20 gauge is a Browning Citori Ultralite, and yes it kicks something fierce, but that's what I have that's not a 12 gauge. I agree applying pressure to him will backfire, we'll see what happens, it looks like BVD has a gun that I can borrow.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Bismuth does make .410 shells.

Here is what I have found on the subject;

My 11 year old daughter does not have the strength to swing a 20 ga auto loader, pump, or over/under. She does have the strength to swing a Rossi 20 ga single shot.

But…

I have not found steel in light loads so the gun kicks like a mule. In fact my best friend bought the same gun for his child to deer hunt. He (my friend) sighted it in 2 weeks ago and still has a nasty mark on his shoulder. He says it kicks worse than his .338 Winchester. He should know… he just got back from Africa about a month ago.

I have found that you can get gauge mates and shoot .410 shells out of a 20 ga gun.
http://www.gaugemate.com/
These are great for skeet but we have not hunted with them.

Now comes the best part.
Can one actually hunt ducks wit a .410?

Legally you can
From the DNR waterfowl guide:

"10 gauge or smaller shotgun capable of holding no more than three shells."

Now, should you?
That depends on the skill of the shooter, the range one is shooting, and about a million other things, including your definition of ethical hunting methods. I really do not want to open that can of worms. Make your own decision.

My daughter took three shots at ducks with her 20 ga during last year's youth season. Didn't touch a feather. She did have a ball. There were so many Teal coming at us from different directions she didn't know which one to shoot.

She decided the kick was just a bit too much so we went to the woods and did a bit of squirrel hunting with a .22. Killed 3 and had a great day.

She decided to forgo duck hunting until she is big enough to swing an auto loading 20 ga. Maybe in another 2 or 3 years. Charles Daly makes a nice youth gun.

She is having a lot of fun with those Bushy tails this year.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Aren't gauge mates only for break action guns? Just an fyi.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
I have not found steel in light loads so the gun kicks like a mule.
Buy Bismuth or Hevi and reload at 1100fps for her. At one shell per flock, it won't be all that expensive of a proposition and Hevi does not have to be fast at all to be leathal.

As for 410, we all know where I stand on that while I practice with mine for Swan this winter.:lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts