Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have drawn the first hunt in Baraga. Looking for a bear guide. If anyone has some good leads please post them. I would be hunting by myself so maybe I could fill an opening.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,269 Posts
Not sure if he is filled up yet or not but I will be hunting with Lac Labelle Outfitters (do a search on-line) 1-888-294-7634. I have hunted with them before and this place is first rate. There are a little pricey so check it out to see if you might be interested.

Congrat's on your tag and good luck.

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would this be blueroad bucks?

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you are an archer , Black"Ghost"Bear Camp . Terry caters to the archer. I have hunted with him twice and will be there this year again , first period. Good time , camp is on a lake , so fishing in the morning and hunting at night. 14 taken last year , with a Pope & Young taken the second peroid.
Contact Terry, at 734-439-7979 or e-mail at [email protected]
Probably should call quickly as he fills up pretty fast .

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Spanky3 said:
If you are an archer , Black"Ghost"Bear Camp . Terry caters to the archer. I have hunted with him twice and will be there this year again , first period. Good time , camp is on a lake , so fishing in the morning and hunting at night. 14 taken last year , with a Pope & Young taken the second peroid.
Contact Terry, at 734-439-7979 or e-mail at [email protected]
Probably should call quickly as he fills up pretty fast .
Going to Terry's place this year with friends from work. They have been before and he runs a good camp, better call Terry soon, think he is almost full already.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I'm hunting with Hank this year and have heard nothing but great things about him, I think he might be filled up for the first hunt but definetly call him to make sure.

Ryan

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
soggybtmboys said:
Going to Terry's place this year with friends from work. They have been before and he runs a good camp, better call Terry soon, think he is almost full already.

Has he taken some good size bear? Does he hunt on any private ground? How many hunters does he run through his camp each year? Pricing seems good I just don't want to go with a big outfit. I would rather pay more for a smaller outfit with high success rates on better bear. I like the idea of fishing in the mornings. Where is he located?

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have talked with just about everyone mentioned.

Has anyone ever heard of UP Bear outfitting? Run by JR Sikklia in Covington?Good or bad?

He was on MUCC with Gabe hunting bear.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Talk to Brad Johnson. He is the DNR wildlife technician in Baraga and he does some bear guiding in the fall. Most of his clients get a bear and last year I know at least one of them got one over 300 pounds. His home phone number is 906 353 7580.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
kingfisher 11 said:
I have talked with just about everyone mentioned.

Has anyone ever heard of UP Bear outfitting? Run by JR Sikklia in Covington?Good or bad?

He was on MUCC with Gabe hunting bear.
I hunted with JR 2 years ago for the 3rd season. I actually hunted out of Gabe's stand that he shot his bear out of with a bow. I shot a 275 pounder on the 3rd day. JR is first class and will take you cyote hunting also. He is a little high on the price but you get what you pay for. I have his contact information if you need it just PM me.

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I committed to JR a few days ago. He offered what I was looking for, the price was in the middle of what I looked at. Cheaper is not always better, when it comes to hunts. I added points for 6 years so when I was ready to go. I wanted a someone who ran an outfit like JR's.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Bob

·
Registered
66 Posts
I work for a taxidermist out of crystal fall and get a lot of jr's success. I personally know him through my boss and would say that he is a good choice. He is a really nice guy and good at yote huntin to.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bob,

You will not be dissapointed with your choice, As I mentioned before JR runs a great hunt.

If you are bowhunting be sure to practice close shots out of a tree stand JR likes to set bowhunters about 10 yards from the bait, I followed his advice on which tree to hang my stand and it worked out very well.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
like everyone said befor J.R is a first rate guy my bro and him shot bow's togeather for a while and he hunts in a very good area . i have also seen some of the bears he has taking and they all seam to be very nice bears

1 - 19 of 19 Posts