Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone buy a bandsaw lately? I am looking to buy one for some basic woodworking - maybe carve some spearing decoys or maybe a few table tops and other misc things where a curved cut is needed. I don't need anything extravagant but I don’t mind spending a little money for high quality. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I’ll second Grizzly. They aren’t cheap if you’re comparing to box store brands, but they also aren’t as pricey as some other higher end brands, while still being very well made. I own a lot of their stuff and have never had issues with any of it. Their customer service is also top notch in my opinion.

I don’t know if it really makes a difference, but I’ve been told by a few different people (including Grizzly themselves), to steer towards their models that are produced in Taiwan, as I believe their manufacturing facilities hold to tighter tolerances than some of their facilities in China, etc.

I also wouldn’t be afraid to watch craigslist, etc., as some of the older stuff is tough as nails, and can be picked up on the cheap compared to new. And personally, I’d rather spend $300 on a 10-year old saw that cost $1000 new, than $300 on a brand new lower quality piece from a box store.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Buy the best you can afford you will not be sorry. I had a Delta that was my grandfathers and it worked good. Then I bought a Shop Smith at a auction sale. What a difference. I sold the Delta. I like the Grizzly tools also. I have heard the Ridgid one is good to. Don't go cheap on the blades I get mine at Menards and they are razor sharp and name brand

·
Premium Member
15,970 Posts
I bought a jet 14 inch on fb market place a few year back, got a hell of a deal on it.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I’d want a stand alone model. Thanks for the replies so far. I’ll start looking.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grizzly makes a nice looking 14” 1HP deluxe saw in the $700 range. Says no problem on hardwood and has up to 6” cut depth which all seems attractive.....

·
Registered
987 Posts
Anyone buy a bandsaw lately? I am looking to buy one for some basic woodworking - maybe carve some spearing decoys or maybe a few table tops and other misc things where a curved cut is needed. I don't need anything extravagant but I don’t mind spending a little money for high quality. Any recommendations?
All good brands mentioned.

Not sure where you're at, but do you know if you have a WoodCraft store near you? They will have a few options set up so you can fool around with them and see what features you like and don't like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts