Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a new .223. What brand model would you guys suggest? I want a heavy barrel as I am going to use this for target and possibly(hopefully someday) a varmint hunt. The other thing I would like is bolt action.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I have a .223 Remington bolt action. It is a pretty sweet little gun. I have had no prblem's with it, althought it is not a bull barrell. I have a Leupold Vari X II on it. Pretty flat shootin gun's, and they work great on coyotes.

There are so many manufacturer's out there that make great gun's, it is hard to give a definite vote for one single manufacturer (sp?). If I were in your shoe's, I would use the same brand name that I have used, and own.

Good luck in your hunt.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Most of my rifles are REM 700's. They have the reputation as the most accurate out-of-the box rifles, before tuneups, etc. REM makes many different models. Some individual rifles are very accurate and others are only so-so. A lot depends on the barrel.

I've heard a lot of good things about Savage bolt guns lately too. The .223 is inherently a very accurate round. Good luck.

Natty B.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have a Remington that I love, at this time it is at Williams getting a new barrel because I am getting my a$$ kicked at the range. My best bud has a Savage with the acu-trigger and the aluminum bedded stock and paid about $200.00 less than I did for my Remington. It is in my opinion a ugly rifle.. but is one real shooter out of the box, the best shooter out of the box for the money. But dont skimp on the scope..The Burris that he has, has been worth the money, it is one you should look at. His groops at 300 are better than any out of the box rifle out there, other than a custom ..His groops at 300 are under 1 inch. sounds like bull *****?
OK! how about 3/8 five shot groops at 100.
Keith Sage.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
No.4shot- As flyrod4steelhead said there are a lot of great rifles out there, but if your on a tight budget take a look at the Savage. I have the Savage Md 110 Tactic in .223, which has the heavy short barrel, recessed crown and synthetic stock and it is a tack driver. With their new adjustablee trigger they can only be better. They are very reasonably priced and are great shooters out of the box. Visit their web site www.savagearms.com

·
Registered
112 Posts
I didn't know the savage was that good.......but glad to hear that.
I kinda think I like the 700 rem the best..
Just me and THE REM. ha ha
happy shooting

·
Registered
35,200 Posts
Try a Savage model 112BT. I've done nothing to it except adjust the trigger pull to acceptable levels. Clover leafs are the norm at 100 yards with reloaded military brass.

It's one of the few non Remington Model 700s I own.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get shell's that are over 55 or 60gr? I have taken a few deer with it (heart shot's) and would like a little more powder. Or do some of you hand load these?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Dont know! I do know that a .223 is a small bullet. Most of the hunters I know would avoid using a .223 for deer. I wont pass judgment on your choice of calibers for deer, just be careful that you dont have a deer run off and die.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
There is data for 80 grain loads but you would need a barrel with a 1 - 8" twist for proper stabalization. Most factory guns have a 1 - 12" twist.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Oh no, I don't use it for deer hunting, lol. I took my first buck with it though. I have a 7mm that I use for gun hunting. I was just wondering if they made a shell that is more than 55gr.

Thanks guy's.

·
Registered
35,200 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, the Savage has and is used as a Sniper Rifle. Buy It! You can not beat the price of the Law Enforcement Models. I use a Bushmaster Ar15 but the Savage is on my "next buy list".

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think that the 55 gr. is the best for stock 223,s the safe way to shoot.........have fun with my sons AR 15 colt after the army ......had to shoot this one......much fun
Happy shooting

·
Registered
57 Posts
I reload and like Hornandy 68 gr.HP in my Ar15 Shorty. I am getting 1-2 inch groups using a Red Dot sight at 50 yards. I need to get a different scope for 100 yards. I am thinking about a Taso or Simmions 6-18 power

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
BangBang,

I'm not sure how you feel about Leupold, but I have 2 of them and love 'em. Both scoped are a 3-9x40mm vari x II. They pick up light very well. Or, check out the Vari X III, sweet scope's, a little more cahs though, pick up more light than the vari x II. One of them is on my .223, and I am shooting 1" group's @ 100 and 1 1/2" groups at 150-200. Good luck on looking for a scope.

Thank guy's for the link's.

B

·
0 Posts
I hate to complain about a certain manufacturer of firearm but I think that Savage Su%[email protected],I do own a Savage !I Know! I personally would use a Ruger mini 14.You can save some money and get a superb Firearm.I was shooting mine today sighting in for deer season .I was getting 1 inch groups at 100yards + with $1.99 Wolf ammo from Russia (55 grain Hollow points )Anything but a Savage would be nice .Mod 700,70,77 but dont get a cheap old nasty Savage you will be sorry.Good luck with what ever gun you choose though,

Bearboy

·
Registered
673 Posts
bearboy you use a .223 for deer hunting ? i usually just use mine for the varmints. i also say get a ruger if you havent gotten a savage yet. i have the ruger heavy barrel and laminate stock and i love it. great solid shooter. i put on a weaver grand slam scope also.

later, dave

1 - 20 of 22 Posts