Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, im looking for the ultimate bullet an im open to recommendations,calibre is not really a factor as i have a 243,, 25/06,,,,260,,,,,30-06,,,,,7mm,,44 rem,,, 450 marlin,,, 30-378 weatherby but i like my 30-06 the best and speculations on the most deer killing bullet for it,,i shoot a rem 7400 carbine an i hunt the U.P,,,,, I WANT A MEAT DESTROYING..KNOCK EM ON THERE ASS,,WHOLE BLOWIN DEER STOPPING CHUNK OF LEAD,,LOOKING FOR A STOPPER,, HOPE YOU GUYS OR GALS CAN HELP,,,,, 7 POINTER WENT 12O YARDS WITH A 168 GRAIN BALISTIC TIP THROUGH THE UPPER CHEST,, SHOT HIM AT 60 YARDS BROADSIDE AN HE RAN ALL THE WAY INTO THE DAMN CEDAR SWAMP, WAS A NIGHTMARE WITH A CHAIN SAW TO GET HIM OUT,, OFF SHOULDER WAS BROKE BUT EXIT WOUND WASNT ANYTHING, JUST A SMALL HOLE, WONT SHOOT THOSE NEXT YEAR

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
RPG-russian made... nothing will be left:eek:

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
The thing with with whitetail is they aren't that tuff of an animal and alot of the high performance bullets just don't open enough on impact.

If the Bullet passes through to fast with out expanding all the way the animal doesn't get alot of the energy from the round. The tree the round hits after it leaves the deer gets the energy.

I like 06's also I have my dad set up with 165 grain soft points.
It works well but sometimes we still have to tarck the deer a little ways.

Thats why I like that 350. It's 35 caliber so the entry hole is much larger and the bullet is soft enough that it expands well on impact.

The exit hole is always large.

As I said I have shot 10 deer with that gun now and I have yet to have one take a single step.

I switched to that gun after tracking a deer 100 yards that I shot with a 300 win mag.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I also have a rem 7400. i used federal ballistic tip. I was sitting 1/2 way up a ridge and shot at a buck in 6 year old cut aspen stand. i put 2 shots on him on his neck. the 1st must of been deflected. the second droppedhim. i was amazed that i could shoot that load into the aspen. lucky i guess.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
I have a old Ruger Deer Stalker carbine in 44-mag that I have always used,,It is no bean feild gun but it seems to ancor them real good in MI,,must be something to hitting them with 240grains of lead

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Nosler Partition in all of those calibers except the 30-378. For that anti tank gun I would go with 180 gr. Barnes or Fail safe. That puppy is just to fast for standard bullets. The partition would work fine in that round I'm sure, but no such thing a too stout a bullet in that cartridge!
Imo, the partition is still the best all around bullet. There are others that retain more weight etc, but the old partition still does everything well.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Well, we seem to have this discussion every year! Seems we need to get a FAQ sticky goin' on this one.

We hunt by a big swamp- we'd need an airboat to go get a big buck who got in there!!:D ;) :D An old timer once told me at a deer camp I was visiting, "there aint such a thing as too big a hole" in yr buck. Well said.

I hunt with a .35 Whelen - an oldie but goodie. I use a 225 gr Nosler Ballistic tip made by Nosler expressly for the Whelen.Its the ballistic twin of Rob McCoy's .35o Mag. I've shot six deer with it- including two mature bucks (2 1/2 yrs+). I agree with Rob, if you hit them right, they never go anywhere.

I'd look for a bullet/cartridge along those lines. Good luck.

Natty B.:D

·
Registered
708 Posts
i tried a 270 for a couple of years and then went back to the old 30/06 with 150 grain or 180 grains knock on wood every deer i have gotton has droped in there tracks :)
lucky i guess.

·
Registered
691 Posts
My 12 gauge with 3" mags has dropped em every time right where they stood when I put my crosshairs on them. No, they don't have the range of rifles, but under 75 yard shots (maybe 100) I like the knockdown power it has.

·
Premium Member
6,221 Posts
Bloodtrail,

I am with the others that say go with a partitioned bullet. I am not a big fan of the ballistic tips for deer hunting. I have seen varied extremes in that bullet from either blowing up on impact or passing right through with little expansion. Go with a nosler type bullet and then shot placement, as always, is everything else in the equation. Good luck.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I shoot Federal Power Shok 200 grain soft point in a .35 REM. Never had a problem dropping a deer with it, and they don't run.

Shot a spike 2 yrs. ago from about 85 yards, right behind the shoulder.....the heart was destroyed when I gutted him.....

Took a doe this season while she was facing me at about 75 yards, eating some corn.....took the top of her spine right between the shoulders while her head was down (figured, if she picked her head up on me, I would nail the head, or the brisket....high percentage shot ;)). Again, not a problem.

I found the jacket while gutting her.....I have to locate it as I continue unpacking, but when I do, I'll post a picture of it.....

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
You want stopping power? Never had one run very far after taking a Winchester super X 1oz. slug in the shoulder out to 100 yds. I shoot an 870 wingmaster mag with a smmothbore slug barrel and 2X8 scope.:eek: AL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts