Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 60 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Wh
Have to be a sniper to hunt my spot. 1 lane roughly 350 yds long. I killed one at the end of the lane at 300. Shooting a 30-06 165 grain balistic tips. No more tracking since switching from core locks to Winchester ballistics

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
What do zero in at do you sight in at?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Here is the ballistic chart for Winchester ballistic silver tip ammo in 270 win hope this helps you out at the range for practice if zero at 200 yards you can aim with the crosshairs and be just fine out to 250 yards if you practice and feel confident
581F843F-1A1E-4477-88C4-8BED2AD7412F.jpeg

·
Registered
220 Posts
When I was a teenager I took a doe in the corner of the 40 acre field with my 7mm Mag at 420 yards. My buddies bet me I wouldn't even come close, dropped her in her tracks. What they didn't know is we regularly would shoot from that exact spot out to where the deer was standing. Bullet drop was about 10" for my zero. We still practice shooting the 22-250 at that range and make bets on a 1"x1" square. Accuracy with a rifle is the same as with a bow or anything else, knowing your weapon and being consistent, very very consistent.

·
Registered
9,320 Posts
I’m in zone 3 so everything is a bit tighter. I have an Rem 870 and a 11/87 which I’m confident to a 100 hundred yds. I have Thompson Center muzzy that I can touch 150. My longest shot ever on a deer has been about a 100. If I can’t get them closer, I didn’t do my homework. .

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Racer if your serious about longer ranges I would suggest a scope that has a bullet drop compensation turret. This allows you to range the target then adjust the scope turret that has been calibrated to your specific bullet type and weight to the ranged distance. No guesswork range, dial distance, adjust for wind and shoot. I like Leupold CDS scopes with a Wind Plex reticles.
The CDS is a very good idea and my 7mm has the VX5HD 15x56 on it with CDS for my load. Funny thing about that though...every long shot I've taken on a deer or coyote it's been unused. My old eyes, dark in the blind, and low light make it so I can't see the numbers on the dial well enough, LOL. And, once I've decided he's a shooter and I'm on him through the scope; I'm not looking up. I'm doing yardage with my eyes and ballistics in my head...go figure.

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts
A good rule to live by is only take shots you know you can make. Too many people take shots they hope they can make. A gut shot deer is a gut shot deer whether it's a bow, ML, shotgun, or rifle. Good job with your self control.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
So you recovered the bullet?
No, pictured is the exit hole and I did not use a gage dowel to measure it but it sure looks to be four
IMG_8049.JPG
hundred and fifty thousands to me!

On another note a little story. A lot of years ago we were having a deer drive during Muzzle Loading season. There is a group of does standing out 350 yards in the middle if the field knowing they can move in the opposite of our direction. One guy says watch this and does a Hail Mary with his Hawkins. Dropped the biggest one right there.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Being 90 percent bow hunter with a recurve bow 30 yards is my max on a mature buck 15-20 is what I prefer. With a gun your only restricted on the terrain your ability and what you can live with. For me there is a line you cross from being a hunter or a sniper. As long as it is legal and safe do what you enjoy. My Dad took a Mulie over a 1000 yards with a 30-06 with my uncle calling the shots took 20 plus. Things were different back then as hunters are today. As long as you enjoy the experience and have fun you will be a successful hunter in my book.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
No, pictured is the exit hole and I did not use a gage dowel to measure it but it sure looks to be four View attachment 607335 hundred and fifty thousands to me!

On another note a little story. A lot of years ago we were having a deer drive during Muzzle Loading season. There is a group of does standing out 350 yards in the middle if the field knowing they can move in the opposite of our direction. One guy says watch this and does a Hail Mary with his Hawkins. Dropped the biggest one right there.
Something to keep in mind at 180 yards the 450BM is running out to energy fast. It will have half the energy than it did the muzzle. My guess is you got deformation of the tip that caused organ trauma/shock but it did not deform past the bullet diameter which is normal for bullets at the lower end of their velocity spectrum. That exit hole is exactly what I was expect given the range of the deer. Bullet probably looked similar to this and exited at a pretty low velocity that allowed the entry hole to remain elastic.

Screenshot_20201124-071410_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
699 Posts
My longest shot on a deer was 350 yards using a. 270-130 grain bullet hand loaded. That was on a Mule deer in Wyoming. I was comfortable with the shot as my hunting buddy and myself would meet once a week throughout the summer to shoot our rifles so I knew my limitations.
I typically hunt whitetails with my muzzle loader and I have it zeroed at 150 yards but my average shot has been 70 -80 yards. That being said, my 3 biggest deer including the 8 point I shot Sunday,
were shot with a 20 ga at less than 50 yards.
reddog

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Being 90 percent bow hunter with a recurve bow 30 yards is my max on a mature buck 15-20 is what I prefer. With a gun your only restricted on the terrain your ability and what you can live with. For me there is a line you cross from being a hunter or a sniper. As long as it is legal and safe do what you enjoy. My Dad took a Mulie over a 1000 yards with a 30-06 with my uncle calling the shots took 20 plus. Things were different back then as hunters are today. As long as you enjoy the experience and have fun you will be a successful hunter in my book.
At 1000 yards with a 30-06 you would be dealing with 36+ ft of drop.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My longest shot on a deer was 320 yards with a my .270 and 130 gr Sierra Game Kings. It was a doe. We were filling crop damage permits. I felt pretty confident taking the shot . I had spent the summer shooting bowling pins at 250 yards and gallon milk jugs filled with water, at 300 yards with my 22-250. I put close to 800 rounds thru my 22-250 that summer.

Good job on the pass.

I let one of largest bucks I've ever seen walk I was sitting on a bluff top over looking a marsh.
the buck stepped out at 315 yards, but I had a 20mph + crosswind. I picked a balsam that was a little less than 150 yards and said to myself I wont shoot unless he gets closer than that balsam. I watched him for 20 minutes and he walked off . He closed to 200 yards .
If it had been calm I wouldn't have hesitated.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Something to keep in mind at 180 yards the 450BM is running out to energy fast. It will have half the energy than it did the muzzle. My guess is you got deformation of the tip that caused organ trauma/shock but it did not deform past the bullet diameter which is normal for bullets at the lower end of their velocity spectrum. That exit hole is exactly what I was expect given the range of the deer. Bullet probably looked similar to this and exited at a pretty low velocity that allowed the entry hole to remain elastic.

View attachment 607351

Thank You, Interesting, it would be neat to use my metal detector to find it but have better things to detect, like GOLD! He did pile up within 40 yards out of site dropping the head and running before going behind the Sorghum.

Reactions: bowhunter426

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Last year November 17. I know where the 100yd distance is from the stand I was in and the direction the doe was. I estimated her to be 30yds beyond the 100yd mark. Dropped her in her tracks with my Thompson Center Icon .308, shooting a Hornady 150gr SST.

Longest shot I have ever taken at a deer.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Never rest your barrel on them.... Just the stock.
My last several deer have been shot off a Primos monopod triggerstick.. It takes attention to keep it just right. But with practice worked and continues to work , for me anyways.
I might upgrade to more legs , but my introduction to the single went real well with a borrowed one years ago.

Cross sticks can be built on the cheap. Not as nimble for my set up. But more sturdy maybe.
This ^

·
Registered
310 Posts
Popped a 6pt at 270 yards with a 25-06 on a fairly calm day. Easy double lung shot with a little tracking.

Had it been 15+ MPH winds, I likely wouldn't have done it as drift becomes a bigger factor when you start stretching past 200 yards.

41 - 60 of 181 Posts