Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, please read the post, I know this is a long shot, but I need help finding someone north of M57 (rifle/shotgun line) who has some private land to let an 11 year old girl go deer hunting.

Little lady is a good shot with an AR15, but shes intimidated by a 20ga, and my 44 lever carbine (even with light hand loads).

20150531_141701.jpg

I was hoping to be able to bring her rifle hunting, but upon a re-read of the Hunting/Trapping digest, being 11 shes only allowed
"Youth may hunt:
• Private or Commercial Forest lands using archery, crossbow, or firearm equipment.
• Public land using archery or crossbow equipment only." -pg 25

So I'm looking for someone who could host us on private land for a rifle hunt. Like I said I know its a long shot, but if there is anyone here who is willing to let my daughter get her first crack at a deer, I would appreciate it.

Personally I don't mind hunting public, and I have a few places I can bow hunt private, but nothing I can do rifle on that's private. I swear on my honor, not to take any game other than one deer by her (if she even decides to shoot) and to operate in a perfectly respectful manner. I wont treat your land as if it were mine, I would treat it as its YOURS and teach my daughter the same.

Thanks in advance, and if anyone is OK with the idea, please PM me, no need to post it publicly (unless you want to)

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
There's a ton of Commercial Forest Act land in northern Michigan that is open to hunting. The DNR provides a map online.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Wow I would say come on up but the deer aren't coming in until after dark. Pretty much only does too.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
There are a few HAP properties North of the Rifle/Shotgun line -

These ones are open to Youth and Apprentice Hunting Only (HAP counts as Private)

These are outside Pinconning http://www.michigandnr.com/publications/pdfs/huntingwildlifehabitat/HAP/HAPf-map_RivardA1.pdf
This one looks promising - http://www.michigandnr.com/publications/pdfs/huntingwildlifehabitat/HAP/HAPf-map_RivardA2.pdf

This one's in Standish
http://www.michigandnr.com/publications/pdfs/huntingwildlifehabitat/HAP/HAPf-map_ShannonJ1.pdf

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly I never even thought about HAP, thanks for the links TGIG

I'll see if I can find the Commercial Forest Land map and see whats avaialble. I hadnt give that much thought. Thanks guys.

I should mention, this isnt for the youth hunt weekend, just normal season. We're going to be tied up the weekend of the youth hunt, and I want her to have some more experience shooting out of a blind, and from a chair with sticks, that we wont have time to do before the youth hunt anyways.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
thanks everyone!!

with everything that has been said, I now have more homework than before!! :eek: dang...I didn't realize there was so much to a scope.

thanks again for all the suggestions. good thing I have a couple of months to figure this all out! :)

[This message has been edited by Markfaz (edited 12-04-2000).]
Hap property is great I used them a couple yrs with my son. I would recommend you scout them out ahead of time though. People can be funny at times. One of the guys in lapeer got a bug up his rear about early doe hunting one yr and banned it on his HAP farm. A doe hunter complained that youth hunters were allowed but not him.... and the next yr he banned youth hunting. Now he allows both for archery and Xbow only.

I question weather he is allowed to do that since he is profiting from the hap program......but I never pushed the issue because he may decided to withdraw from the program and that wouldn't be good for anyone.

My guess is you will find the hap properties are very under used for youth hunt. However in the afternoons you will run into people out there hanging stands for bow season.....that has been my experience.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Just a thought, if she can shoot an AR-15 she can easily shoot a crossbow. Maybe see if someone can lend you one. They are very easy to shoot. My son took a doe at 40 yards at 10 years old. Just a thought if you have access to property below M57.

Good luck to her

Ganzer

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a thought, if she can shoot an AR-15 she can easily shoot a crossbow. Maybe see if someone can lend you one. They are very easy to shoot. My son took a doe at 40 yards at 10 years old. Just a thought if you have access to property below M57.

Good luck to her

Ganzer
I've looked at that option as well. Its on the possibility list. My father has a crossbow we could possibly borrow, but its his first year with it so I didnt want to steal the new toy when we have may have other options available.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a heads up, looks like we have a place!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Great, I just got back on to let you know I was unable to find anything for you in that area on short notice. Happy to hear that someone took care of you. Please keep us in the loop and post some pics.;-)

Have a good day, Pez

1 - 13 of 13 Posts