Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an observation---It seems like every few weeks, someone wants to get into long range shooting and asks what kind of gun to use. How come no one asks where they can go to learn HOW to shoot at long range. You can have the best equipment in the world, but without the right knowledge, it isn't going to do you any good.

·
Premium Member
30,708 Posts
The best way to find out is to go to a gun club that has a couple of ranges and talk to them. They have members that have done it all.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Anyone with a basic understanding of exterior ballistics can manage the LR game on their own. There isn't anything magic about it. I started out shooting PPC rifles short range and became bored punching targets 100-200 yards. I got the bug to shoot LR, especially with a place where I can actually hunt and practice distance.

I had a 300WM built to my specs, topped it off with a quality scope and taught myself with the aid of books and videos. I also got involved with longrangehunting.com where members answered by questions.

My observations-

An accurate rifle is a must.
quality scope with repeatable turrets.
chronograph
ballistic software
Kestrel meter.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The best way to find out is to go to a gun club that has a couple of ranges and talk to them. They have members that have done it all.
I know that. My point is that all these people post and all they ask about is the equipment. The equipment without knowledge is useless.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I know that. My point is that all these people post and all they ask about is the equipment. The equipment without knowledge is useless.
Most of them would be better off working with a good 22lr at 200-300 yards for a couple of years first, before spending a lot of money on centerfire equipment.

-na

·
Premium Member
30,708 Posts
True. When I belonged to a club, I spent a lot of time talking to the benchrest guys and the ones that shoot competition. I learned a lot about handloads, calibers, bullet weight, windage, breathing technique, ect. all before which rifle to use.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just an observation---It seems like every few weeks, someone wants to get into long range shooting and asks what kind of gun to use. How come no one asks where they can go to learn HOW to shoot at long range. You can have the best equipment in the world, but without the right knowledge, it isn't going to do you any good.
And if you dont ask you will never know. Iam prob one of those guys you mentioned, But Iam green and just trying to learn as much as possible, so when I goto the range I will have some clue of what the hell there talking about lol. the closest range to me is washtenaw county gun club, which I do plan on attending when there is a public shoot. But for my winter pastime Iam gonna ask questions and take in what I can. So I will ask "where they can go to learn HOW to shoot at long range" ? My guess is gonna be the range, and Iam have fun doin so.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Try different Forums, http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/ These guys live long range shooting..and are less critical!:D
Shawn Carlock is a member of LRH. He builds long range sticks, developed the 338 Ege and champion LR shooter using hunter class rifles. He answered many of my questions and shared many PM's. I bought his instructional video that filled in many blanks for me. Shawn is one of many that takes the time to explain the game.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Shawn Carlock is a member of LRH. He builds long range sticks, developed the 338 Ege and champion LR shooter using hunter class rifles. He answered many of my questions and shared many PM's. I bought his instructional video that filled in many blanks for me. Shawn is one of many that takes the time to explain the game.
Thanks, I been also reading on snipershide.com, I been wanting to get into shooting more and I figure I would read a bit into it first, Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Thanks, I been also reading on snipershide.com, I been wanting to get into shooting more and I figure I would read a bit into it first, Thanks
Was going to mention that one. I'm on there too and there are some really knowledgeable members. Answered a lot of questions through pm's and threads.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
For me what I learned in the army and on my own.Reloading help me to and the long range hunting forum help me a lot.Those guys can shoot but that's where I go with my long range hunting questions.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Anyone with a basic understanding of exterior ballistics can manage the LR game on their own. There isn't anything magic about it. I started out shooting PPC rifles short range and became bored punching targets 100-200 yards. I got the bug to shoot LR, especially with a place where I can actually hunt and practice distance.
I agree. Why are so many people convinced that they have to take advice and lessons from someone to learn a new skill or activity? Both can't hurt, but are not mandatory by any means.

Practice--trial and error--is the best way to learn anything, provided you have a base understanding of what's involved. And most people that are interested are interested for a reason--they've picked up some pieces and are looking to put it together.

I shoot long range, 1000-1500 yards in the upper peninsula. I use a 300RUM. I handload. Using a basic understanding of trajectory and wind factors, I did not find it overly difficult at all to hit man-sized steel targets at 1000 yards. I did not receive any advice or instruction. I simply used knowledge and concepts I gleaned from personal experience and shooting, as well as periodicals/books over the years.

Like you said--challenging, but nothing magical about it.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I learned in the service,but we only were required to shoot 1000 yds,,but the basics are all the same,,we went to school 4 hrs and on the range 4 hours,,and in all weather conditions,,I know one thing you want a good spotter,,and you need to be a spotter,,we did not have the super guns they have now ,,we did learn how to shoot the Ma Deuce long range,,at 2000 and 2500 yds ,,that was a blast,,that was the hardest to figure out,,not like the 50's now,,Practice ,practice,practice,,and $$$$$$ learn to reload for long range ,,

·
Registered
249 Posts
2000 yards is crazy, I would like to see that, to me long range is anything past 400 lol. I hope to build upon that this yr.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 18 of 18 Posts