Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Im pretty sure it is closed to all fishing and hunting. Im almost positive it is a sanctuary. I fished 35 years ago. Was excellent pan fish. Went back probably 25 years ago with my youngest son. What a disappointment. Posted no fishing or hunting. I had hunted around lapeer state game area for years. I was very upset. It showed up on DNR sites as open. A waisted half a day.. ended up going to hollaway res where we limited out on walleye. I wrote a scathing letter to the dnr. Still a sore spot to this day. I loved fishing that lake. Never saw anyone else all the times we fished it. Big GILLS..

·
Registered
430 Posts
I know it's only open twice a year, once in the summer and once in the winter. I was just there over the summer and only went home with a 28" pike. I've just never fished it for ice fishing.
U got me thinking about it again. I'm going to ck into your belief its open twice a year. I hope u r right. Like I said its been 35/40 years ago since I fished it.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
294 Posts
When I was a kid ( many moons ago) they used to stock that lake with pike....it got alot of ice fishing traffic...haven't fished it in a long time, but you should be able to find decent gills and a few perch.

If you strike out on Long, there's some other small lakes nearby that hold a few crappie

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Yup. I grew up in the area and fished it a lot as a kid. And a fair amount as an adult. Always been the same. I keep holding out hope that there are some huge pike because its a big lake, but no such luck as of yet.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I grew up around there as well, I've actually done better fishing in the overflow creek. Haven't been there in years though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I grew up around there as well, I've actually done better fishing in the overflow creek. Haven't been there in years though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
My grandparents owned and operated the party store there on Fish Lake Road for over 30 years. And I grew up within 5 miles of the stateland. I remember riding my bike up there and fishing in that creek a bunch.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.