Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have always encouraged our camp members to make sure that their rifles are sighted in and accurate prior to deer season. This year we started what will become an annual September event at our camp (Lone Oak) to accomplish that goal and also to include maybe a little “Bragging Rights” to go along with the competition. Some even suggested that we include an entry fee for a little more incentive for next year.

Rules were pretty simple - Bring 3 rifles - 1 big bore, 1 small bore and 1 muzzle loader. Each shooter shoots a 3-shot group with each of them at 100 yards and another 3-shot group with each of them at 200 yards. Shooters were also allowed to make 1 or 2 “sighter” or “foul the bore shots” at a separate target prior to shooting for score.

Here are some pics:

This portable rifle rack came in handy…

Plant Tree Wood Biome Shotgun

The 100 yard range…

Plant Tripod Tree Camera accessory Wood

100 yard targets after round 1…

Plant Tree Wood Rectangle Trunk

Elaines group from her predator rifle…

Font Handwriting Art Circle Recreation

One of the muzzle loader groups…

Rim Circle Pattern Symmetry Tree

Getting targets up at the 200 yard range…

Plant Plant community Nature Botany Leaf

Plant Plant community Tree Land lot Wood

If you look closely you can see 3 deer that came out to feed while we were shooting! They browsed for probably 10 minutes and rarely even looked up when we fired a shot. They kept moving to the point where they were nearly in direct line of fire so we finally whistled them out of there so we could finish our shoot. Apparently these U.P. Deer know when deer season opens and they weren’t about to miss an alfalfa meal when we are weeks before the firearms opener. :D

Plant Green Tree Mammal Grass

It was a lot of fun and it definitely helped to enlighten us as to being better prepared next year. I know I even need to do a little more tuning up for this year. I am making up a plaque to hang in camp with the winner from each year.

I know I didn’t mention who won this year but that really isn’t important is it? Especially when the lone female shooter (Elaine) beats all of the men in camp….so I am not going to mention the winner this year :D. I’ll let you know if I win next year.

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is anybody doing something similar at their camp? I can say that we will be modifying the shoot some for next year. The muzzle loader shooting takes a long time. We are thinking of reducing the muzzy shooting to only 1 round each at 100 and 200 and maybe upping the others to 5-shot groups from the centerfire rifles.

Feel free to offer your comments or suggestions for improving this event. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,886 Posts
I knew Elaine would be the “Top Gun” before I even looked. You might as well just engrave her name as next years winner too Frank, that gal has it all together when it comes to shooting targets and bucks. You go girl !!

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew Elaine would be the “Top Gun” before I even looked. You might as well just engrave her name as next years winner too Frank, that gal has it all together when it comes to shooting targets and bucks. You go girl !!

I wasn't entirely sure she would win Don, but she clearly did for sure. She is a tough competitor. I wouldn't want her shooting at me with either a pistol, rifle or bow. Of course, I taught her everything I know about shooting…she was just an exceptional student who eventually surpassed the master :LOL:

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have participated in something similar that started out with shooting (rifle, pistol, 22 and trap) in the morning and collecting scores and then after lunch the drinking and yard/card games started. Each was scored and by the end of the day there was a winner. It wasnt a serious competition but was very fun.

·
Premium Member
11,123 Posts
I’m guessing you had another day just for zeroing in? Or was it up to each shooter to do that on their own before the competition

Reactions: Wild Thing

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kudos to you, you guys and gal are doing it right!
Could i be so bold as to ask your permission to hunt from yr 200 yd bench rest? (just joking). Have a great season!
LOL -Actually, we have a pretty nice box blind about 50 feet away from the shooting bench which would probably be more comfy :D

Natural landscape Plant Tree Trunk Snow

Ironically enough, the name of the blind is…….Deer View!

Brown World Leaf Wood Brick

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m guessing you had another day just for zeroing in? Or was it up to each shooter to do that on their own before the competition
Yes we did Kevin. One of our guys had some health issues and couldnt make it this year but everybody else showed up the day before and did some shooting. My son didn’t shoot his 22-250 at all before the scoring event, thinking it was all good to go. He concentrated on dialing in his muzzle loader instead. While he did shoot a great score with his muzzy, all 3 of his shots with the 22-250 were outside the black. I’ll bet he will shoot them all next year:LOL:

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is crazy....and that they stayed and ate with bullets flying past them!
Yep - Crazy Osceola….but they are Yoopers ya know:D

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
We have always encouraged our camp members to make sure that their rifles are sighted in and accurate prior to deer season. This year we started what will become an annual September event at our camp (Lone Oak) to accomplish that goal and also to include maybe a little “Bragging Rights” to go along with the competition. Some even suggested that we include an entry fee for a little more incentive for next year.

Rules were pretty simple - Bring 3 rifles - 1 big bore, 1 small bore and 1 muzzle loader. Each shooter shoots a 3-shot group with each of them at 100 yards and another 3-shot group with each of them at 200 yards. Shooters were also allowed to make 1 or 2 “sighter” or “foul the bore shots” at a separate target prior to shooting for score.

Here are some pics:

View attachment 787325

The 100 yard range…

View attachment 787326

View attachment 787327

View attachment 787329

View attachment 787336

View attachment 787333

View attachment 787331

If you look closely you can see 3 deer that came out to feed while we were shooting! They browsed for probably 10 minutes and rarely even looked up when we fired a shot. They kept moving to the point where they were nearly in direct line of fire so we finally whistled them out of there so we could finish our shoot. Apparently these U.P. Deer know when deer season opens and they weren’t about to miss an alfalfa meal when we are weeks before the firearms opener. :D

View attachment 787334

It was a lot of fun and it definitely helped to enlighten us as to being better prepared next year. I know I even need to do a little more tuning up for this year. I am making up a plaque to hang in camp with the winner from each year.

I know I didn’t mention who won this year but that really isn’t important is it? Especially when the lone female shooter (Elaine) beats all of the men in camp….so I am not going to mention the winner this year :D. I’ll let you know if I win next year.
Thanks for sharing that. Looks like a great time.

·
Premium Member
17,351 Posts

Here are some pics:

View attachment 787325

The 100 yard range…

View attachment 787326

View attachment 787327

View attachment 787329

View attachment 787336

View attachment 787333

View attachment 787331

View attachment 787334

Elaine and Frank are a force to reckon with.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts