Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
You will get 10,000 opinions but a good place to start:

250 gr SST or Shockwave bullet [they are the same thing, made by Hornady]

100 gr of Pyrodex or 777

Will kill any deer that walks out to 100 yards if you sight in carefully and make a good shot.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree. I am shooting 250 grain shockwave super glide bonded and 150 grains 777. I probably don't need the bonded bullets or the extra 50 grains of powder but that's what I sighted it in with. I need to shoot some more and play with the loads.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jeff, for the info. my big question was the amount of powder.

What about futher than 100yrds?

Should I go with 150gr of powder? and stay with it.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
This might help. I shoot a 54 cal with a Remington 303 grain 45 cal sabot. My gun likes 90 grains of powder with this bullet. I have shot through every deer I shot with this load out to 100 yds. As I add more powder my groups open up with this bullet. After picking out a good bullet You will have to do some shooting to find out how much powder you can add to the load before the group starts to open up. I tried a lot of different bullets and powder amounts before I came up with what I'm shooting. Remington quite making the 303 Remington 45 cal bullets now so I will have to find another bullet after I run out of my supply. Fortunately I have 40 bullets left so I'm good to go for a while. If you do find that right combination buy up you a good supply. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Look through this forum...I posted almost the same exact question for a CVA and got some good answers....would've saved you some time.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
You will get 10,000 opinions but a good place to start:

250 gr SST or Shockwave bullet [they are the same thing, made by Hornady]

100 gr of Pyrodex or 777

Will kill any deer that walks out to 100 yards if you sight in carefully and make a good shot.
Accurate and deadly out of the Optima Elite

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
like stated above the gun chooses the load basically. That said 250gr SST and 100grs of your choice of powder would be a good starting point.

I shoot 250gr SST's over 110grs of BlackHorn 209 and get cloverleafs at 100yards (with out swabbing between rounds). Conversley I could not get Barnes Spitfire's 245gr round to group better than about 4 inches at 50yards.

When I used 777 I was shooting the SST's and 100gr (2 50gr pellets) of 777 and would average about 3 inches at 100yards, plus had to swab between every shot.

Dont take this wrong way, just some constructive criticism, but Nov is too late to be working up ML load. I started last April to get to where I am today.

J-

·
Registered
394 Posts
Its not to late to work w/ a muzzle loader. I just got out yesterday to site it in and put a 5 in. group at a 100 yds. Im shooting a remington 710 ML, 245gr round w/ 100 gr 777 powder. You wont need to put 10 rounds in a 2 in. group to go hunting. The kill zone on a deer is almost as big as the darn target. Plus most of us wont even get a 100 yd. shot. The farthest ill have to shoot is about 50-60 yds. By the way, i did get a 3 in. group at 50 yds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts