Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to pick up another rod for steelhead this year to pair with my Okuma Cedros reel. I have found a few different rods that I liked but stopped short of purpose because LL Bean Rods caught my eye. I was wondering if anyone has ever fished this product and what their thoughts were? Thanks gentlemen and tight lines

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
I bot a LL Bean 9' for an 8 wt (4 pc) rod some years ago at the outlet, down the hill from the main store. It has a detachable fighting butt and I understand the blank was a Loomis. The workmanship and materials were good and it has a med-fast action. Happy with the purchase overall and thrilled with the price.:D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bot a LL Bean 9' for an 8 wt (4 pc) rod some years ago at the outlet, down the hill from the main store. It has a detachable fighting butt and I understand the blank was a Loomis. The workmanship and materials were good and it has a med-fast action. Happy with the purchase overall and thrilled with the price.:D
I fished Loomis and Shimano for awhile in my formidable years because of the name mostly but recently I have found better CUSTOMER SERVICE with the off brand or less than popular brands. My rod of choice as of late has been Okuma and I remember when I could pick one up for $40 at most. Great product for the buck! Have never had a problem getting tips replaced, or complete sections shipped within days notice. I just want to find a few other rods that will provide that satisfactory experience without completely breaking my "budget"

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
I fished Loomis and Shimano for awhile in my formidable years because of the name mostly but recently I have found better CUSTOMER SERVICE with the off brand or less than popular brands. My rod of choice as of late has been Okuma and I remember when I could pick one up for $40 at most. Great product for the buck! Have never had a problem getting tips replaced, or complete sections shipped within days notice. I just want to find a few other rods that will provide that satisfactory experience without completely breaking my "budget"
Funny you would highlight Customer Service. IME, and many others, that's one of LL Beans strong points.

We lived in the East for many years and took many fishing/hunting vacations in Maine. Always stopped in Freeport at Beans for licenses and somehow always "needed" other stuff. Rods, reels, lines, flies, gadgets, boots, clothes, et al, et al.

Pretty sure Beans doesn't mfg any of their outdoor equipment. Boots are an exception. But if its their label that guarantee is as good as anyone's, and better than most. I have found Beans has solid equipment at a fair price.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Love LL Bean stuff. I bought a pair of waders about 3 yrs ago and a pair of hunting/ice fishing boots a few weeks ago. Lifetime warranty, so last waders and boots I'll buy. I would think their rods and reels are great quality too.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both for that input. I was sort of sketched out about their rods when I saw the price so I needed to ensure that it was not going to be shattered the first chrome I hooked up with.

Natty, I just moved out east to finish my degree. Hopefully I will have enough time this year to get into some striped bass. Have heard some good things about that

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Natty, I just moved out east to finish my degree. Hopefully I will have enough time this year to get into some striped bass. Have heard some good things about that
There is some great saltwater fishing all around the Cape and Islands in Mass.Also up along the North Shore. And out at the tip of Long island too. It was great "back in the day" for both stripers and blues. I'm talking late 60's-early 70's, and now I feel really old!!:idea:

Good Luck with the degree and fishing both!

NB

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought a 9ft, 5ft fly outfit a few years ago when I was just starting to get into fly fishing. I was attracted to the price and the lifetime guarantee. Since I didn't have much experience with fly rods and reels, I asked my buddy who has been fly fishing for 30+ years (mostly Winstons and St. Croix and high end gear). His response was to order one for himself.

So far I have really been pleased with the rod and have since tried several others, but this is my go to rod/reel. It's not exactly what you are looking for, but I think it speaks for the quality of their equipment.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought a 9ft, 5ft fly outfit a few years ago when I was just starting to get into fly fishing. I was attracted to the price and the lifetime guarantee. Since I didn't have much experience with fly rods and reels, I asked my buddy who has been fly fishing for 30+ years (mostly Winstons and St. Croix and high end gear). His response was to order one for himself.

So far I have really been pleased with the rod and have since tried several others, but this is my go to rod/reel. It's not exactly what you are looking for, but I think it speaks for the quality of their equipment.
I started to get into fly fishing last summer and had a ball hooking some Skams. I had a buddy of mine pick out a few things just to keep me going while I was in town and ended up really liking the fly fishing thing. I have been eye balling the LL Bean fly rods and have read great things about their customer service.....I actually have not heard one bad thing regarding that department! Thank you for your advice

·
Registered
38 Posts
No problem. I should clarify that it's a 9ft 5 wt - 4 pc rod (streamlight version). Keep an eye out for online coupons and with free shipping you can get the rod/reel/line/case for under $200. Tough to be that with a 100% guarantee.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts