Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we hunted out near deckers marsh , the morning heard lots of shooting but seen low number of birds and only had 2 decoy in a layout boat spread. afternoon /evening not one shot extremly slow too nice weather. how did you guys do?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hunted Strawberry Island.......lots of birds lots of shooting.....But not by us never pulled the trigger. Birds just wouldn't decoy no matter what we did.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
We were out from the Ballard Road lauch 1 mile and were set up and hunting at 8:00 am Saturday. We had Jimmy Gretzinger from Michigan Out of Doors Television and although he didn't get out there with us until 8:30 he did get alot of birds and shooting on film and even a couple of dead birds. We ended up with 10 birds. 4 Bluebills, 4 Redheads, 1 Canvasback, 1 Bufflehead. We were the only rig in sight that was doing any shooting and had birds. I think the difference was that we had three hundred plus decoys out where others maybe had a hundred.

Oh yeah, by the way. The best BB Drake has a #2 snelled hook through the top of the bill at the culmen. The bird was extremly healthy so it didn't seem to affect it's eating. Jimmy got some film of it so look for it in the next couple of weeks. It along with a hen is getting mounted, with the hook.

Ken Martin
Michigan Duck Hunters Association-Bluewater-President

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts
Ken.... divers.... not divers.... and you filmed it.... so so sad... LOL... I would have called for you guys if you wanted real ducks... happy that they got some birds on film anyways.. Johnny

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
We are the Bluewater Chapter of MDHA so it fits well. John you would have been way out of your element. A mile from cover, 12 feet of water, 2 boats FULL of decoys, and shooting ducks in the face.

I will know Tuesday when it will be on TV and post it. Jimmy came out the first weekend of November and the weather didn't cooperate so he was nice enough to come back out.

Ken

·
Registered
142 Posts
WHERE IS BALLARD ROAD IF YOU DON'T MIND TELLING? HAD 150 DEKES OUT AND ONLY TWO BIRDS WITH IN RANGE. ALLOT OFHIGH FLIERS LOOKING THEM OVER.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It is the launch at the spillway across from Eddie's Drive In. We were straight out from Harrison Twp Park. Where were you? My friends went out again Sunday and got 5, 2 Cans, 2 Redheads, and 1 BB. They said it was 3-4 foot waves though.

There is a meeting Tuesday at 7:30 pm, come on and we'll talk more.

Ken
MDHA-Bluewater-President

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The late season was once again disappointing. Worked all week on scouting and putting a plan together that never paid off. There simply was too much pressure on these poor birds along with no wind.

Hunted Goose Bay Saturday morning; ended up with 2 geese and 1 mallard. Kudos to the gentleman who retrieved one of our geese and brought it to us. For the first hour we watched plenty of ducks a mile-high heading to secure places. What birds that did work never came into good range and it was so quiet you really couldn't do much calling.

Hunted the marsh at Harsens on Sunday. Sat there for many hours watching birds move around the refuge. Ended up with 1 goose, could of had more if it wasn't for sky-busters. Finally packed in the season once we realized the weathermen where once again wrong.

Next year we definetly need it rougher, colder, or whatever to keep the "fly by night" hunters at home. All-in-all it was just fun to hang out with friends and to have one more opportunity....

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Trippin,
We had the same experience at Shiawassee Saturday.....too many guys in the warm weather, and birds were acting just like the last day of the regular season. Didn't look relaxed at all by the way they acted. Your problem, and mine, is that we hunted public land. We both need to find some private ground to hunt for next year.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Just Ducky,

Kudos to that!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Originally posted by Trippin' Dipsies
Hunted Goose Bay Saturday morning; ended up with 2 geese and 1 mallard
Hey, did you see the guys out there hunting out of a red and silver lund over snow goose decoys? I bet those guys smoked 'em.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Nice call on that one- How about swans & that was trippin and I. It is a proven technique that has worked time and time again during the late season. Ever noticed how the ducks seem to flock towards the open water near a grouping of swans?

Our success is measured over several hunts and not by hanging our hat on just one day in field. Factor in the weather of this past "Late Season" and I bet we did just as good as everyone else in the Goose Bay area.

One quote that stands out in my mind from Saturday morning is:

"Let's just go home!" was that you guys???

Jeff- BMT

·
Registered
79 Posts
Originally posted by BITE_ME_TOO
Nice call on that one- How about swans & that was trippin and I. It is a proven technique that has worked time and time again during the late season. Ever noticed how the ducks seem to flock towards the open water near a grouping of swans?

Our success is measured over several hunts and not by hanging our hat on just one day in field. Factor in the weather of this past "Late Season" and I bet we did just as good as everyone else in the Goose Bay area.

One quote that stands out in my mind from Saturday morning is:

"Let's just go home!" was that you guys???

Jeff- BMT

Whoops sorry about that. Its just that you see so many people out there that have no idea what there doing. I suppose your right about the flights landing with the swans. I think that may of been my buddy saying "Lets go home" after he hit something in the bay and ripped a blade of his prop. Once again sorry about calling you guys out on that. I should of guessed with my luck I'd be wrong and it would be somebody from this forum.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Swampy,

No harm, no foul. Believe me, we've often wondered what people think when they drive up on a set up like that. But when the hunting gets tuff, the hunters get crazy.....

·
Registered
793 Posts
Chad,

Did you mean to say no "fowl"? Darn weather man fooled us again......

SWAMPY, sorry about your buddy's prop- see you in the field next season with some swans in your set-up.

Jeff- BMT

1 - 17 of 17 Posts