Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a great day on the water yesterday afternoon on a local lake.
Found the gills in 11-12 fow off remaining weeds. Although it was a little breezy they were cooperative running up to 9 1/2 inches. Gills were taking wax worms on a tiny chartreuse/black jig.
No crappies found this time as the wind made holding the boat in the crappie spots impossible but the bass were tearing up the tiny jigs with twister tails and the 2 bonus pike caught on 10 foot noodle rods was even more fun.
All in all can't complain.
Sorry, no pictures---left the camera behind.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Congrats on some nice gills WC!

I'm still just hitting mostly crappies in the shallows so far on a couple of lakes in the same area. I've had enough of them for awhile and should be finding some gills shortly since I'm starting to get quite a few bass mixed in over the last couple of days.

Mike

·
Registered
143 Posts
walleyechaser said:
Had a great day on the water yesterday afternoon on a local lake.
Found the gills in 11-12 fow off remaining weeds. Although it was a little breezy they were cooperative running up to 9 1/2 inches. Gills were taking wax worms on a tiny chartreuse/black jig.
No crappies found this time as the wind made holding the boat in the crappie spots impossible but the bass were tearing up the tiny jigs with twister tails and the 2 bonus pike caught on 10 foot noodle rods was even more fun.
All in all can't complain.
Sorry, no pictures---left the camera behind.

My neighbor slammed 11 bass between 11 am and 12:30. all in front of his house with only 60 feet of canel frontage. I caught 4 around the same time!
Most were pretty big fish, but he caught 2 hogs over 5 lbs.

I slammed big bluegills and only got 1 small crappie. Used wax worm on pink/white teardrop> Bass were caught on red colored large spinner with gold blades. I never seen that many bass caught in one spot like that before. This was friday!

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
JDHUNTER said:
My neighbor slammed 11 bass between 11 am and 12:30. all in front of his house with only 60 feet of canel frontage. I caught 4 around the same time!
Most were pretty big fish, but he caught 2 hogs over 5 lbs.

I slammed big bluegills and only got 1 small crappie. Used wax worm on pink/white teardrop> Bass were caught on red colored large spinner with gold blades. I never seen that many bass caught in one spot like that before. This was friday!
large red spinner? interesting since its not that time of year.... i won't say any more.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
wrong.

This is directly from the fishing guide on the DNR's website:
On the following waters, bass may be caught and released
on the dates listed. All bass caught must be immediately (see common terms p. 18) returned to the
water: L. St. Clair, St. Clair R. and Detroit R., from the last Sat. in April - Fri. before the 3rd. Sat. in
June; All Lower Pen. waters including Great Lakes: Last Sat. in April - Fri. before Memorial Day;
All Upper Pen. waters including Great Lakes: May 15 - Fri. before Memorial Day.

·
Registered
143 Posts
MSUICEMAN said:
wrong.

This is directly from the fishing guide on the DNR's website:
On the following waters, bass may be caught and released
on the dates listed. All bass caught must be immediately (see common terms p. 18) returned to the
water: L. St. Clair, St. Clair R. and Detroit R., from the last Sat. in April - Fri. before the 3rd. Sat. in
June; All Lower Pen. waters including Great Lakes: Last Sat. in April - Fri. before Memorial Day;
All Upper Pen. waters including Great Lakes: May 15 - Fri. before Memorial Day.

I recieved that info from a C.O but maybe he was wrong ! I will reserch further Thanks for the info by all means I don't want to be unsportsman like.

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
I believe that is true about the season not being catch and release..

anyway on topic.. you guys are lucky to be finding fish.. I have been fishing off shore in a couple different lakes for the past 2 weeks and I haven't caught one single fish yet.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sirslurpee said:
I believe that is true about the season not being catch and release..

anyway on topic.. you guys are lucky to be finding fish.. I have been fishing off shore in a couple different lakes for the past 2 weeks and I haven't caught one single fish yet.
Not Lucky at all----these fish are in the same place every year like clock work as soon as the ice goes out.

Its either the type of cover you're fishing or the particular lake but IMO ice out panfish can be the easiest to find if you know the lake as they're very predictable for the most part.
Location on a lake is the most important factor. Granted, you're quite limited when shore fishing so you should check out some other lakes, esp. if they have canals which warm up faster than the main lake.
Canals and panfish after ice out go together like Oreos and cold milk !!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MSUICEMAN said:
large red spinner? interesting since its not that time of year.... i won't say any more.
That is correct----
Lower Penninsula Catch and Release fishing for Bass----Last Saturday in April - Friday before Memorial Day.

However JDHUNTER, I've called the RAP Line and had follow up conversations with the CO regarding the same guys bass fishing every year on the chain since one or two of them have very few qualms about motoring through the canals and screwing up the gill/crappie fishing for us.
Seems it would be difficult at best to prosecute because the Prosecutor/Judges would require proof in the form of KEPT Bass so the most the COs can hope to accomplish is to cause the culprits enough aggrevation and grief to stop.
I don't even want to start this one again but try to go to the Saginaw River catch and release fishing for walleye out of season and see what the COs and Courts do to you.
I guess in some peoples minds, buying a Bass Boat entitles you to exemption from fishing regs.
Nuff Said !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts