Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first boat with a livewell last fall and I have a couple questions. The pump is on the transom and the hose runs up the side of the boat to the well. Its sprays in from the top. THere is a tube that comes up from the bottom of the well. I was assuming this was an overflow tube. Am I supposed to be able to keep the pump on? As it sits, I have to turn it off because if I leave it on, the well overflows into the boat. The tube empties out the bottom of the boat. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I'm assuming this is a "custom" add-on from the sounds of it???? Any pics? What kind of boat?

·
Smells like, Victory!
27,609 Posts
Run a fish tape down the drain end to see if you are clogged. Also if your drain is out the bottom or under water level the flow coming in is way more than going out. My Tuffy was designed that way and I have to turn the incoming valve way down to match the drain flow and it isn't much water coming in believe me. So if you don't have a valve to regulate the inflow you may want to investigate one. Also may want to look into timer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I kind of felt like the water coming in would be more than what was going out. Does the valve go near the pump? It is a 14 foot Sylvan with this custom livewell on it. PO put it on, did a really nice job.

·
Smells like, Victory!
27,609 Posts
1crappiefisher said:
I kind of felt like the water coming in would be more than what was going out. Does the valve go near the pump? It is a 14 foot Sylvan with this custom live well on it. PO put it on, did a really nice job.
My valve is at the livewell. If you are tourney fishing and it is necessary to keep fish alive I would also do the timer. With the timer you can blast full for a minute or two then leave off for the overflow to catch up instead of running a trickle constantly. I think you get more oxygen that way.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I used to be able to slow the in-flow of the pump so the out-flow could keep up.? Do you have a basket over the outflow? you could have a died minnow in the tube. Try running a hose where the water flows out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts