Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Party 23, very little moving, very few birds in the fields. Losing clouds. Have plan, need good draw or ignorant people in front of me to make it work.

·
Registered
17,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Show time. Draw four with three dead balls so first pick. Guys two down six decoys and awful calling. Guys closer decent calling and 18 decoys starting st 40 yards and almost to the refuge line. Guy on the other side nice but bunched spread mostly pointing down wind. Birds in front of me in the refuge. Birds behind me on private land. Feeling pretty good.

·
Registered
17,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3k geese, 1k ducks. 59 geese and 2 ducks taken to date. Most birds feeding off unit. Got geese landing in front of me but they know the line. Three just came out, guys two down emptied out nothing, guys beyond them one shot folded one.

·
Registered
17,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys in the se corner backed up their earlier misses by busting a flock of 40+ that came in from behind at fifty yards plus. Nice work. The two flocks behind this one that were lower bailed out.

·
Registered
17,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Five was hot one day. Like 200 ducks up and not one thinks about leaving the refuge...

·
Registered
17,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Two geese made a break for it in the lower eights. One came back....

·
Registered
17,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys in lower eight can shoot. Had a goose come out and flare, guy in next zone moving decoys. It went out through eight high got winged and then folded. Had drake mallard lock up but veer off at 60...

·
Registered
17,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Suicide single at 40, hit him twice but he crashed dead in the next zone. And they brought him to me. Thanks guys. Lower eights getting some nice devoting singles, guys in approx. 8b made another great shot, unlike me. Had two more ducks break out nut not close. Birds starting to move...

·
Registered
17,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Epic fail three times on thirty yard or closer greenheadc that cupped up while still in the refuge.

·
Registered
17,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Goose and a drake that came out of no where and made the mistake of circling right back into the pocket. Passed on a drake and black that slid off at fifty, and a goose that went down the edge of my spread but was more interested in the next zone. They missed. Skybusters in the se corner ended up with four none under 50 yards lucky all fell close and none sailed. Not a bad day.

·
Registered
89 Posts
sounds like fun, its crazy how the birds seem to no the lines and exactly where to fly where they are just out of range. Drives me nuts out there, but still fun to see all the birds buzzing around and hoping a few make a mistake.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
sounds like fun, its crazy how the birds seem to no the lines and exactly where to fly where they are just out of range. Drives me nuts out there, but still fun to see all the birds buzzing around and hoping a few make a mistake.
This is what sky busting, over calling, and crowded GMUs do. Not really rocket science, just like any other trained animal. Down at braidwood the birds will fly 30 miles to feed

·
Registered
17,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The birds flying out after hours were insane, especially the GWT. They also had this habit of strafing the deck. Trying to pick up decoys and 15-20 teal come over at 10'. Thought I was going to add a couple to my bag just from having them run into me.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I hunted the Todd farm on Sunday with my son and one of his friends. 59 parties on opening day. We hunted 7C. Wet mucky mess on the South side. Had a guy 2 or 3 blinds down pulling a huge trailer get stuck right behind the blinds. He unhooked the trailer and my son pulled his truck out on the way back to the parking lot. They guy messed around and got the truck stuck again. He must have just said "screw it, I'm going hunting." Left his truck and trailer behind the blinds all morning. Almost every bird that came our way flared at the sight of the trailer. The DNR paid the guy a visit and made him call a tow truck. Tow truck winching out a trailer and a truck 50 yards from your blind doesn't make for good hunting! I bet that was a costly hunting trip.

·
Registered
17,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's blocked off at 7-d now and to be honest it was pretty spongy all around that area. I was in a Jeep with good tires and got out and walked first to check as I know the area and could feel it getting soft. Could not imagine jinking a trailer around back there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts