Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 793 Posts

·
Registered
41,227 Posts
85% of households in the USA have a smartphone as of last year.

93% of Americans report regularly using the internet.
Another guy who agrees that there are people who have a need to go somewhere to register a deer. Broadband is coming but is not everywhere yet.

·
Premium Member
34,892 Posts
Another guy who agrees that there are people who have a need to go somewhere to register a deer.
Sure... so? As long as the "need to go somewhere" isn't an onerous distance, that is no problem at all.

Broadband is coming but is not everywhere yet.

You don't need broadband.

Dial up works. 3G works (if anyone still has a phone that old).

·
Registered
15,669 Posts
But is will be down at some point in time. Like Saturdays mobile ticket apps. You got to just walk into the Big House Saturday cuz the app was down. At least 13 universities confirmed they had the issue this weekend from the same app provider (125+ colleges)
They will make an exception on the fly like they did 2 years ago when the dnr licensing system went down on nov 14th. They put out a press release that you could make your own temporary tag opening day. It was on the website and on local news.

They can surely allow hunters to take deer to processors until the system is up an running. No big deal.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
15,669 Posts
Another guy who agrees that there are people who have a need to go somewhere to register a deer. Broadband is coming but is not everywhere yet.
When broadband is available everywhere what changes? Those who choose to not use the internet still have an issue. The excuses/complaints are silly.

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
Not really a surprise, is it?

My buddy took his son out for his first youth hunt. His son passed ~25 opportunities. No shots because he wanted a 6 pt or greater.
Not all kids are raised with that mentality which is good I think! Hell 1st deer is a 1st deer and good ethical shooting should be number 1 priority. More animals killed more experienced gained.

·
48,874 Posts
Not all kids are raised with that mentality which is good I think! Hell 1st deer is a 1st deer and good ethical shooting should be number 1 priority. More animals killed more experienced gained.
His dad told him to shoot what he wanted. The kid chose to wait. Must have gotten it from somewhere but at least it was the kid's choice.

·
48,874 Posts
Good shot on a legal deer , I'll applaud.
Selective choosing of a deer? Fine by me too. If the choice is the youths.
The why of a choice is for the youth to define themselves. Choices now , and choices later.
I agree.

Though I do have to assume somewhere along the line the kid heard dad or grandpa or whoever, say they were only taking a 6+ pt buck. Kids remember every word!

·
Premium Member
12,341 Posts
A study in 2017 showed that 94% of homeless people had cellphones and 50% of those were smartphones. If you do not have one it is because you choose to not have one. You will habe to accept the hoops in life younwill jump thru by making that choice. The world is going to utilize them for far more things than deer registration.

85% of the US population has a smartphone today. I am not sure what percentage of that 15% are people who are deer hunting but it isnt all of them. Everyone in this country certainly knows someone with a smartphone.

Come out here and try using a cell phone. We do not have any coverage and if we do it is really bad. There are several areas in the state like this or should say there use to be

·
Registered
23,229 Posts
I agree.

Though I do have to assume somewhere along the line the kid heard dad or grandpa or whoever, say they were only taking a 6+ pt buck. Kids remember every word!
Sure.

I don't interrogate folks much on thier choices. But why a given deer in relation to the local herd and site goals is what I fish for.
A balance is not going to be easy when we understand a respectable (per hunter) buck has a tag awaiting it.
I don't begrudge a tag filled. How it affects the herd it what's left next time. And down the road too.

Youths exposed to considering the whys a given kill choice will have different answers for different reasons.
From what they've been exposed to prior. Kinfolk as you mention , host desires. Property management goals.
What's in rage. L.o.l..

Youth hunt preparation time is a good time for such discussion without oversteering.
Some won't dwell on such for years maybe. That's not a crime.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,341 Posts
Your location says Lake City.

I've driven 55 from 127 to Cadillac lots of times with no loss in signal at all.
I live right in the middle of a dead zone and I am about 10 miles north of M 55. LC when ou drive thru town in the morning your see people standing on car roofs or in one case on the roof of the house there is a reason for that. A cell phone store let me take one of each carriers that they had and try it and only one would just work slighty. Neighbor and I was jst talking about this Fri and he put a boost antena o a pole whichs works maybe 50% of the time. He said ATT works best of any but you cannot rely on it and that is why he also has a land line.

·
Premium Member
34,892 Posts
You're trusting a map from Verizon's website? LOL!

No... but I'm trusting a map of McDonalds, Family Fare grocery stores with WiFi, state of Michigan listed open hot spots, and Verizon coverage all smashed together.

There are spots where the coverage maps aren't perfect - although some of that is dependent on your individual phone and geography/tree cover... but between open WiFi, cell coverage, and stores/restaurants with WiFi - it's pretty hard to be somewhere "requiring a long drive".

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
No... but I'm trusting a map of McDonalds, Family Fare grocery stores with WiFi, state of Michigan listed open hot spots, and Verizon coverage all smashed together.

There are spots where the coverage maps aren't perfect - although some of that is dependent on your individual phone and geography/tree cover... but between open WiFi, cell coverage, and stores/restaurants with WiFi - it's pretty hard to be somewhere "requiring a long drive".
Oh ... I thought you said Verizon's coverage was about 95% in that area based upon the map you attached.

·
Premium Member
34,892 Posts
I live right in the middle of a dead zone and I am about 10 miles north of M 55. LC when ou drive thru town in the morning your see people standing on car roofs or in one case on the roof of the house there is a reason for that. A cell phone store let me take one of each carriers that they had and try it and only one would just work slighty. Neighbor and I was jst talking about this Fri and he put a boost antena o a pole whichs works maybe 50% of the time. He said ATT works best of any but you cannot rely on it and that is why he also has a land line.
Sure - it might not work AT YOUR HOUSE - but I'd be willing to be that within a 10 mile drive you can get cell coverage...

...and Lake City has a McDonalds (free WiFi).

·
Premium Member
34,892 Posts
Oh ... I thought you said Verizon's coverage was about 95% in that area based upon the map you attached.
It is about 95% - that doesn't mean there aren't numerous small pockets with poor/no reception.

It also doesn't mean that even in areas with coverage you can't put the phone in a situation where it can't get a signal (and some phones have such poor antennas they get significantly worse reception).

My last job had a metal building that was basically a Faraday cage. Step outside and you had full signal. Inside the building you had zero signal... but it wasn't because coverage wasn't available, it was because the signal was being blocked.

41 - 60 of 793 Posts