Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 653 Posts

·
Registered
40,586 Posts
Michigan deer harvest numbers

I don’t see how this is a negative in some peoples eyes. Should be interesting as the season progresses.
The only negative is the requirement to go find cell signal or an open library to use a computer in 72 hours of the kill. A week would be a more reasonable time frame since it doesn’t change the date of kill or if it happened. It’s too bad the State didn’t require 100% data coverage before implementation.

·
Registered
15,163 Posts
The only negative is the requirement to go find cell signal or an open library to use a computer in 72 hours of the kill. A week would be a more reasonable time frame since it doesn’t change the date of kill or if it happened. It’s too bad the State didn’t require 100% data coverage before implementation.
The only negative i see is giving up the in person deer check info over the next few years. If the dnr is good with the trade off then so be it.

There is more than enough internet in this state. There are probably a half dozen places I would go to before I would hit a library if i had no cell phone or internet at camp. Just about any fast food or bar/restaraunt has some sort of internet service for patrons these days. Rest areas have free wifi. I stopped at a local park in northern Michigan to use a public restroom. The local kids were gathered around the bathrooms sitting on benches playing on their tablets because the restrooms had wifi.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
40,586 Posts
The only negative i see is giving up the in person deer check info over the next few years. If the dnr is good with the trade off then so be it.

There is more than enough internet in this state. There are probably a half dozen places I would go to before I would hit a library if i had no cell phone or internet at camp. Just about any fast food or bar/restaraunt has some sort of internet service for patrons these days. Rest areas have free wifi. I stopped at a local park in northern Michigan to use a public restroom. The local kids were gathered around the bathrooms sitting on benches playing on their tablets because the restrooms had wifi.

Not everyone has a smart phone.

·
47,667 Posts

As you know, the hunter doesn't even need internet. They can phone someone who does.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I think it's cool to be able to see what's happening day by day in terms of reported kills.
How about a MSF lottery the winner picking the number for opening day of gun or the most registered day statewide during rut . You when win a prize or a free bag of Deer Apples! :p

DS, maybe they were just waiting around to see why you got the mane Dirty? :hide:

Reactions: DirtySteve

·
Registered
15,163 Posts
Not everyone has a smart phone.
A study in 2017 showed that 94% of homeless people had cellphones and 50% of those were smartphones. If you do not have one it is because you choose to not have one. You will habe to accept the hoops in life younwill jump thru by making that choice. The world is going to utilize them for far more things than deer registration.

85% of the US population has a smartphone today. I am not sure what percentage of that 15% are people who are deer hunting but it isnt all of them. Everyone in this country certainly knows someone with a smartphone.

·
Registered
15,163 Posts
How about a MSF lottery the winner picking the number for opening day of gun or the most registered day statewide during rut . You when win a prize or a free bag of Deer Apples!

DS, maybe they were just waiting around to see why you got the mane Dirty? :hide:
Lol. The only thing dirty that day was the restroom when I was done with it! It was an emergency situation that I think was shared on the sharted thread at one point. Those kids cleared out fast.

·
Registered
40,586 Posts
A study in 2017 showed that 94% of homeless people had cellphones and 50% of those were smartphones. If you do not have one it is because you choose to not have one. You will habe to accept the hoops in life younwill jump thru by making that choice. The world is going to utilize them for far more things than deer registration.

85% of the US population has a smartphone today. I am not sure what percentage of that 15% are people who are deer hunting but it isnt all of them. Everyone in this country certainly knows someone with a smartphone.

I see you agree that not everyone carries a device capable for the technology required to report a deer. There are many areas in Michigan in both peninsulas that have no data coverage available even if you do have a smart phone requiring a long drive. It makes no difference in data if a person reports in 72 hours or a week or two. The data doesn’t change in those few days. It’s too bad that the DNR didn’t wait until the entire state has broadband availability or at the very least provide a sat phone for those who can prove there is not service at their camp. More money is wasted than that on a regular basis, student loan forgiveness comes to mind.

1 - 20 of 653 Posts