Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
When I fished with a permanent, I put them in a panfish basket down the hole. Otherwise just kept them in a bucket or large cooler.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I have a 5gallon bucket with lid and hole in top 1/4 of bucket and holes in lid with a weight to sink it in my permanent. Them I have fish cage I keep at my parents dock on a river that does freeze if I’m use a hub. I’ve had decoys alive for over a month either way

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Of for a couple days, in the Frabil aerated bucket.

If extended, I toss em in the Koi pond. It has a heater to keep a hole open in the u e so wife can feed them. Small enough I can net them when I need them.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I picked up a 20 gal. aquarium off of Craigslist for cheap.
Rigged it with a cheap filter and bubbler system.
My garage is partly heated, so they keep for a long time.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I only spear out of a permanent so I have a fish basket I made out of 1/4 mesh rolled fence. If i can keep the pike off the decoy they last for weeks.

·
Registered
11,447 Posts
I will run a livewell in my garage. 30 gallon horse trough from TSC and a pond pump. Cover the top with a piece of plywood to keep jumpers in.

Never had a problem with freezing, even in the unheated garage.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
When we run them in the hardside I always tied up a harness with heavy tip up line and tied it too them by running the line through the back just below the dorsal fin with a carpet sewing needle and creating a loop for a tie off. At the end of the day I’d just let all the line out and they’d go hide in weeds. We had one last a full season one year. You could do the same thing with a portable minus your storing issue.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have tried to sink them chuck, but they died ,, i assume it was from lack of oxygen at the bottom compared to the bait shop water? maybe it was just the trama they may have had..as for running live over artificial,, i have used both and so far this year have around 15 sits and only 5 short fish so looking at changing something..

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
i have tried to sink them chuck, but they died ,, i assume it was from lack of oxygen at the bottom compared to the bait shop water? maybe it was just the trama they may have had..as for running live over artificial,, i have used both and so far this year have around 15 sits and only 5 short fish so looking at changing something..
I would say it’s more to do with trauma then oxygen.
Ever tried jigging with a rattle trap? another deadly tactic is taking a salmon spoon and tipping it with a 3-4” shiner and jigging it.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes used a rattle trap before actually caught a nice walleye doing it:) have used spoons as well not tipped with minnows though the hard side is on shore now waiting for the ice to come back..
the best year i had was running a live and artificial at the same time but this year cant seem to find many on the ice we had access to.. maybe the new ice will be better

·
Registered
789 Posts
When we run them in the hardside I always tied up a harness with heavy tip up line and tied it too them by running the line through the back just below the dorsal fin with a carpet sewing needle and creating a loop for a tie off. At the end of the day I’d just let all the line out and they’d go hide in weeds. We had one last a full season one year. You could do the same thing with a portable minus your storing issue.
I do something similar.
I take a med. rubber band and opened the eye on a large sewing needle and run the rubber band under the dorsal fin. (twist the rubber band,while in the eye of needle, to minimize width, before inserting thru back)This gives them a little "stretch" when pulling against the line and doesn't seem to traumatize them much. Their back also stays good, line doesn't cut flesh and doesn't fester or get infected. I then take a snap swivel and connect the two loops that are sticking out from each side.They last quite a while this way.
DSCF1369.JPG

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use a fish basket also keeps them alive for quite some time

1 - 18 of 18 Posts