Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have a question. i shoot a cva hunterbolt in 45 cal. i am currently using 100 grains loose 777ffg and a 245 grain AT Powerbelt. It shoots decent but the deer a i shot did not leave a good blood trail. lucky i was able to watch them drop. sorry so long, now the question is that to much powder for that lite of a bullet. any info greatly appreciated. :confused:

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
The problem is not the powder charge, it's the choice of bullet. Powerbelts are a poor choice for hunting. Throwing rocks is almost as ethical imo! The quality control of the powerbelts is poor at best. Do some searches on this forum, you'll get lots of reading material regarding Powerbelts. When comparing them to a quality bullet like a Hornady SST or a Barnes etc, the powerbelts fall short on many levels. There are far too many better choices to even mess with powerbelts, period.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Yup, light powerbelts are terrible. Please look at the SST/Shockwaves or about anything from Barnes. You'll be much happier in the long run.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
bmd1023,

You have been given some very sound advice, I would much rather be using a .45/.40 200 grain SST than ANY sub 405 grain PowerBelt. The problem with .45 caliber guns is the limited choices of bullets available. If you buy your sabots and bullets seperately, you will have several more choices.

One outstanding .45/.40 bullet is the 350 grain White PowerStar, they shoot lights-out in my 1:20 twist White .451 M-98 Elite. I am not sure how they will do in the slower 1:28 or 1:30 twist .45's, but these bullets are tough swadged lead and stay together.

Pic.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The problem is not the powder charge, it's the choice of bullet. Powerbelts are a poor choice for hunting. Throwing rocks is almost as ethical imo! The quality control of the powerbelts is poor at best. Do some searches on this forum, you'll get lots of reading material regarding Powerbelts. When comparing them to a quality bullet like a Hornady SST or a Barnes etc, the powerbelts fall short on many levels. There are far too many better choices to even mess with powerbelts, period.
You know I kind of feel like this should be a sticky! I had some poor results with PB's but kept trying to work through the problem, then I figured out they were the problem. There are so many better options out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts