Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've got a loose lip on a gotcha the sealANT IS worn off. The lip will go back into place but i'm not sure how to hold it. Was wondering if anyone could tell me what sealant or glue, or silicone, e.t.c. to use. i'm not real familiar of the Lure making process. I'm also worried about not getting the lip back to proper position and then it wont run correctly. The lip didn't appear to be loose or out place today when I threw it back in the water after catching a fish, and then it didn't run right at all, making figure 8's. Trying to tune it with plyers until i noticed the lip was loose.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Use a clear 2-part epoxy to glue it back in. There's various brands at the hardware store, Home Depot etc. They cost around $3 to $6 & come in a syringe. Devcon 2-Ton Clear Epoxy is what I have used.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah that stuff is handy I've used it a lot patching holes in duck decoys and various other things. I've never used to fix a lure lip but I'm sure it would work. The two part stuff holds pretty well just make sure you let the lure dry for a while before you glue the lip back on and let the stuff set for at least 24 hours before using the lure again. There are some that are suppose to set faster than others but I would still give it plenty of time to set and cure. Good luck hopefully it works for you.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Zibs tip is dead on with the 2 part epoxy. "Seal all" will work for the repair too.

Another tip, if you do not have glue, is to screw the lip in place.

Drill two pilot holes through the lexan, into the wood. Open the holes up to clearance holes in just the lexan. Then use 2 small brass screws or brad nails to hold in place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Use Zib's tip on the Devcon 2-ton, it works great for this purpose. I mix it with a toothpick for 30 seconds, and apply with the toothpick on both sides of the lip. Make sure the lip is centered in the slot on the lure body, and seated properly. I would let it sit overnight before using,however it won't be tacky after half hour or so if its mixed properly. Good luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for info guys. Is there additional sealant used with the epoxy on the outside of the lure to keep water from getting to the glue?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts