Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanna make the run out to the Black Hole this weekend and wanted to see if anyone has made it out there yet. I'm a Bay rookie yet so if you have other suggestions I'm open! PM'S welcome too! Thanks

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Westside is risky this yr. Not saying you can't do it but i would recommend eastside or going with a group who has been out .

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Not trying to edit this thread but a local guy put a guad down last weekend. I believe the ice on the east side is better but still sketchy .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
East side as in Thomas "Sunset" area? Slot or closer in yet? I fished out and around the island last Saturday but didn't do too well so wanted to try other areas to get more familiar. Been on the river several years and made a few trips on it this year but I've finally got equipped to fish the bay so I really appreciate the info!

·
Registered
138 Posts
We made it out to the big crack on Saturday in the day light no issues sitting on 8" of ice and caught fish well Sunday where captain mark went in was only 50' away from where we were fishing! Use extreme caution out of Linwood go out in the day and make sure you have GPS to follow same path in. Ice is doing weird things over there like I said we were on 8" good ice and 50' away was 2" and it all looks the same right now

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
The quad on the east side went in the crack 7 miles out.. we were out 10 last night. Crack was tight but still found 6 inches of ice. Any off shore wind it could get scary out there. If you head west out.of Thomas towards Callahan there is another crack running north and south and the ice is thinner.. there's always a bad spot out that way. There is a main trail coming out of thomas.. stay on that.. don't go bombing around like you could last year.. just don't do it.. go in groups. Be prepared and if your scared stay on shore or go to the river.. I have a bad feeling about this weekend.. hope everybody uses there heads

·
Registered
387 Posts
supposed to get snow next few days too so its all going to look exactly the same....be smart out there guys.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking over Navionics for weeks now. Never fished the east side, boat or ice. Looking like the slot is about 7mi straight out of Sunset. Is that pretty close? Is there a particular fow that has been holding fish a little better?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Ethan(hogeye) might be a younger dude like myself, and a lot of people will be out there this weekend anyway.. but he's spent more hours on the ice than anyone I know and I have a bad feeling as well... theres gonna be a good coating of snow over every crack bump shove and thin ice spot out there.. all the main trails that you can follow now might be totally under snow and it'll look like one flat white sheet... I wouldn't be venturing out on days like that alone for nothing... even WITH some guys on here that are veterans of the ice on the bay, its still pretty sketchy. hell maybe im just a noob and paranoid.. but hey ill stick to the river or with a group of well seasoned vets this weekend

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Looking over Navionics for weeks now. Never fished the east side, boat or ice. Looking like the slot is about 7mi straight out of Sunset. Is that pretty close? Is there a particular fow that has been holding fish a little better?
the slot is 2-4 miles out..The slot is roughly 13-17 fow.. then she comes up to what we call the bar.. which is a bit shallower than the slot...then she drops down to 18+ fow.. there's fish being caught up and down the slot.. and out deeper.. we have switching winds coming and who knows what it will do to the cracks out there. You should be fine in the slot but still use caution. The big crack is out about 7 miles.. With the winds coming, who knows a different crack could form.. it may be a whole new ball game come Friday and the weekend I'll be out all weekend but won't be traveling in the dark until we have checked our track out in the daylight.. I wouldn't advise running in the dark unless you have been out everyday and know what has changed or what hasn't.. on a side note. Picking up a new sled tomorrow ;)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hogeye I am with you I have had a bad feeling all week. I went out State Park last Saturday and had it not been for my nephew coming in and letting us follow him out I would of turned around and went home. The Ice is scary this year

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
It'll be fine. It may change a bit though and create new dangers. Like hogeye said...just don't go out in the darkness after something like that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts