Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sat down in 20 fow in the Linwood area at 3:45 this afternoon and within 15 minutes I went 3 for 6. Was thinking it would be a quick limit and early departure but then did not mark another fish until dark and then they were just a few lookers I could not get to go. Guess I will have to shower more frequently cause when they left, they left. Had 10 inches where I drilled. seen all that open water the other day out there so did not venture around much. As others have posted, use extreme caution fishing the Westside.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any specific colors work ?

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
When I sat down it was on like donkey kong so I think they would have hit about anything. It was one of them scenarios where you catch one but cant rebait and get the lure back down cause they were attacking the other rod. I really had to pee after the ride out but did not have time to do anything but try to catch the next one. I happened to have down a wonder bread J deez and a rainbow colored spoon.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
When I sat down it was on like donkey kong so I think they would have hit about anything. It was one of them scenarios where you catch one but cant rebait and get the lure back down cause they were attacking the other rod. I really had to pee after the ride out but did not have time to do anything but try to catch the next one. I happened to have down a wonder bread J deez and a rainbow colored spoon.

I keep my third rod baited and laying on the ice for just that occasion, as soon as the first fish is on the ice, I do not bother unhooking it, just send the other lure down, while I am also jigging the other rod. Works great on those multiples!

Sent from my iPad using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I keep my third rod baited and laying on the ice for just that occasion, as soon as the first fish is on the ice, I do not bother unhooking it, just send the other lure down, while I am also jigging the other rod. Works great on those multiples!

I do the same thing. It's all good until you have 3 walleye with hooks in their mouths flopping everywhere. First ice on the river this year was like that for an hour before dark. Once I cleared the chaos I only could fish one.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
I do the same thing. It's all good until you have 3 walleye with hooks in their mouths flopping everywhere. First ice on the river this year was like that for an hour before dark. Once I cleared the chaos I only could fish one.

Yep, works like a charm until the untangling starts!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

That is a great tip for those rare times when the action gets sizzeling like that; I will employ in the future. I often will use my third rod as a tip up; glad I did not on this occasion because I would have been out of the shanty screwing around setting up the tip up and missed the whole show inside the shanty.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Yep, works like a charm until the untangling starts!

If they are snapping like that you dont need to rebait! Drop her back down there and jig, especially if theres a lot of fish there. Its no fun when theres fish in your hole and all your poles are tangled up! It only takes a few seconds to put your fish in the bag and drop your lure back down the hole.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem is doing all that with one hand; unless one was to do something really radical like set down their beer to free up the other hand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts