Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test the line on my reels for strength before the first outing of the season. Generally, good super lines break a little above the rated strength and good mono breaks right at its rated strength. I had some 50lb Power Pro on a couple of dipsey reels that broke at about 22 lbs so I bought some new 50 lb rated Power Pro. On a whim I decided to test it as I spooled it on the first reel. It broke at 25 lbs!!!! Consistently!!!! :confused: I need some insights and comments

·
Super Moderator
3,182 Posts
I usually tensile test the line like I think you are doing. I use a good digital fish scale. They are generally pretty accurate. I have a better scale that holds the maximum force on the digital meter, but my Rapala fish scale has about the same accuracy.

I've found a good mono will break a pound or two over the rating. 30Lb Berkly Big Game broke around 31#'s for me.

Do a good steady pull until the line breaks. If you stop, it gives the line time to stretch out and relax.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am using the procedure Getaway describes. The line breaks in the middle, never at the knot. 20 lb Stealth breaks at 22, 14 lb Triline XT braks at 14, new and 2 yr old Power Pro rated at 50 lb breaks as described.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts