Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
We are buying a place on 40 and the neighboring 40 is CF land. Since it’s fair game to hunt is it a dick move if need be to set up near the line?
Not a d!☆k move. I'm all about bedding/sanctuary in the center of the property & hunt the edges near the property lines. I have my back facing the neighbors property.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
There are millions of acres of CF enrolled lands in the U.P. Hunters get very territorial about their favorite spots and build permanent hunting shacks on them then take it over like it is their own property. I had 5 illegal shacks surrounding my property when I bought it - all right on the line facing into my property. The DNR won't do anything about illegal blinds even on State land much less private/corporate CF lands so I took care of them myself. One by one a little chainsaw work and I had them dismantled loaded up and hauled them to the dump. There is still a 6th one up on the north end of the one 40 but I haven't got to that one yet. I own the 40 now so nobody is using it anyway.

One guy built a legal ground blind from brush the following year but he must have got cold because he never showed up again. A lot of hunters are just lazy so if they find an unoccupied blind they will sit it in and use it. If there isn't something convenient for them to hunt from they will find another spot.

Hopefully you can enjoy your property without too many line sitters but don't be too surprised if somebody does park on your line. Just make sure your property is "conspicuously posted" as required by law in order to minimize trespassing And...it must meet the legal posting requirements or you won't be able to prosecute for trespass.

A friend of ours had 3 guys trespassing and hunting on his property a few years ago. He contacted them and told them they were trespassing and they said "Well we didn't see any signs and we are not leaving". He called the DNR and the CO came out and said the property wasn't posted "conspicuously" enough and not only was he not writing them any tickets, he wasn't even asking them to leave. The same 3 guys were back hunting my buddies' property the next day.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
There are millions of acres of CF enrolled lands in the U.P. Hunters get very territorial about their favorite spots and build permanent hunting shacks on them then take it over like it is their own property. I had 5 illegal shacks surrounding my property when I bought it - all right on the line facing into my property. The DNR won't do anything about illegal blinds even on State land much less private/corporate CF lands so I took care of them myself. One by one a little chainsaw work and I had them dismantled loaded up and hauled them to the dump. There is still a 6th one up on the north end of the one 40 but I haven't got to that one yet. I own the 40 now so nobody is using it anyway.

One guy built a legal ground blind from brush the following year but he must have got cold because he never showed up again. A lot of hunters are just lazy so if they find an unoccupied blind they will sit it in and use it. If there isn't something convenient for them to hunt from they will find another spot.

Hopefully you can enjoy your property without too many line sitters but don't be too surprised if somebody does park on your line. Just make sure your property is "conspicuously posted" as required by law in order to minimize trespassing And...it must meet the legal posting requirements or you won't be able to prosecute for trespass.

A friend of ours had 3 guys trespassing and hunting on his property a few years ago. He contacted them and told them they were trespassing and they said "Well we didn't see any signs and we are not leaving". He called the DNR and the CO came out and said the property wasn't posted "conspicuously" enough and not only was he not writing them any tickets, he wasn't even asking them to leave. The same 3 guys were back hunting my buddies' property the next day.
Unfortunately, signs are needed to be legal but I swear, this is the most illiterate state I have ever been in. I don't think hunters/poachers can read

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I feel like I'm talking to my ex wife. You have all the answers. Good luck w/ your property. Hope it all pans out well. Many of us have already been there.
Never knew I posed any type of answer? I hunt a lot of CF land up here and very rarely run into any one. But like I said, we shall see.

·
Registered
39,737 Posts
Unfortunately, signs are needed to be legal but I swear, this is the most illiterate state I have ever been in. I don't think hunters/poachers can read
They don’t need to when looking for their lost dog. Recreational trespass laws and enforcement is a joke compared to other states.

·
Premium Member
31,556 Posts
If it were me, Id set up on the CF land, line or otherwise, if it was a good/better spot than on the 40 I owned.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Nothing wrong with hunting CF land within the rules (don't tear it up with an ATV, etc.). The owners agreed to the terms and get a tax break in return, they should expect the public will exercise their rights. If they give you lip, report them to the DNR and the county assessor. I would hunt my property line and beyond if I was in your shoes.

·
Premium Member
33,548 Posts
Signs are not needed in Michigan. That co was in the wrong. You can not just go hunt because there is no sign

NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1994

324.73102 Entering or remaining on property of another; consent; exceptions.

Sec. 73102.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (4), a person shall not enter or remain upon the property of another person, other than farm property or a wooded area connected to farm property, to engage in any recreational activity or trapping on that property without the consent of the owner or his or her lessee or agent, if either of the following circumstances exists:
(a) The property is fenced or enclosed and is maintained in such a manner as to exclude intruders.
(b) The property is posted in a conspicuous manner against entry. The minimum letter height on the posting signs shall be 1 inch. Each posting sign shall be not less than 50 square inches, and the signs shall be spaced to enable a person to observe not less than 1 sign at any point of entry upon the property.
(2) Except as provided in subsection (4), a person shall not enter or remain upon farm property or a wooded area connected to farm property for any recreational activity or trapping without the consent of the owner or his or her lessee or agent, whether or not the farm property or wooded area connected to farm property is fenced, enclosed, or posted.
(3) On fenced or posted property or farm property, a fisherman wading or floating a navigable public stream may, without written or oral consent, enter upon property within the clearly defined banks of the stream or, without damaging farm products, walk a route as closely proximate to the clearly defined bank as possible when necessary to avoid a natural or artificial hazard or obstruction, including, but not limited to, a dam, deep hole, or a fence or other exercise of ownership by the riparian owner.
(4) A person other than a person possessing a firearm may, unless previously prohibited in writing or orally by the property owner or his or her lessee or agent, enter on foot upon the property of another person for the sole purpose of retrieving a hunting dog. The person shall not remain on the property beyond the reasonable time necessary to retrieve the dog. In an action under section 73109 or 73110, the burden of showing that the property owner or his or her lessee or agent previously prohibited entry under this subsection is on the plaintiff or prosecuting attorney, respectively.
(5) Consent to enter or remain upon the property of another person pursuant to this section may be given orally or in writing. The consent may establish conditions for entering or remaining upon that property. Unless prohibited in the written consent, a written consent may be amended or revoked orally. If the owner or his or her lessee or agent requires all persons entering or remaining upon the property to have written consent, the presence of the person on the property without written consent is prima facie evidence of unlawful entry.

History: Add. 1995, Act 58, Imd. Eff. May 24, 1995 ;-- Am. 1998, Act 546, Eff. Mar. 23, 1999
Popular Name: Act 451
Popular Name: NREPA
Popular Name: Recreational Trespass Act

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I'm with you but....

Last I checked signs had to be able to be seen if you were enter a property. Not that people can read...
The difference is in what is legal, and what is practically prosecutable. If you want to press charges, put up signs.

Reactions: jeffm

·
Registered
12,814 Posts

NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1994

324.73102 Entering or remaining on property of another; consent; exceptions.

Sec. 73102.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (4), a person shall not enter or remain upon the property of another person, other than farm property or a wooded area connected to farm property, to engage in any recreational activity or trapping on that property without the consent of the owner or his or her lessee or agent, if either of the following circumstances exists:
(a) The property is fenced or enclosed and is maintained in such a manner as to exclude intruders.
(b) The property is posted in a conspicuous manner against entry. The minimum letter height on the posting signs shall be 1 inch. Each posting sign shall be not less than 50 square inches, and the signs shall be spaced to enable a person to observe not less than 1 sign at any point of entry upon the property.
(2) Except as provided in subsection (4), a person shall not enter or remain upon farm property or a wooded area connected to farm property for any recreational activity or trapping without the consent of the owner or his or her lessee or agent, whether or not the farm property or wooded area connected to farm property is fenced, enclosed, or posted.
(3) On fenced or posted property or farm property, a fisherman wading or floating a navigable public stream may, without written or oral consent, enter upon property within the clearly defined banks of the stream or, without damaging farm products, walk a route as closely proximate to the clearly defined bank as possible when necessary to avoid a natural or artificial hazard or obstruction, including, but not limited to, a dam, deep hole, or a fence or other exercise of ownership by the riparian owner.
(4) A person other than a person possessing a firearm may, unless previously prohibited in writing or orally by the property owner or his or her lessee or agent, enter on foot upon the property of another person for the sole purpose of retrieving a hunting dog. The person shall not remain on the property beyond the reasonable time necessary to retrieve the dog. In an action under section 73109 or 73110, the burden of showing that the property owner or his or her lessee or agent previously prohibited entry under this subsection is on the plaintiff or prosecuting attorney, respectively.
(5) Consent to enter or remain upon the property of another person pursuant to this section may be given orally or in writing. The consent may establish conditions for entering or remaining upon that property. Unless prohibited in the written consent, a written consent may be amended or revoked orally. If the owner or his or her lessee or agent requires all persons entering or remaining upon the property to have written consent, the presence of the person on the property without written consent is prima facie evidence of unlawful entry.

History: Add. 1995, Act 58, Imd. Eff. May 24, 1995 ;-- Am. 1998, Act 546, Eff. Mar. 23, 1999
Popular Name: Act 451
Popular Name: NREPA
Popular Name: Recreational Trespass Act
I was just ready to post the link myself(y)

Reactions: Petronius
21 - 40 of 45 Posts