Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm looking for opinions on line releases. Tried churches (one after a few trips would not adjust one the rubber started to stick together), cannon adjustable but PIA to get set right and Amish releases. Haven't had any luck with any of them. Using older big John manual downriggers, 10 lb balls. Fishing in lake superior/whitefish bay.
I've had a recommendation for blacks line releases. Can anyone suggest something that's not a PIA to set and or easy to use?
Thanks

· Premium Member
14,068 Posts
Are you using rubber bands with your blacks?
I use a double rubber band when there are a lot of small fish around, i.e. pier heads, but normally straight out of the blacks with it adjusted so I can just barely get it to release from above. A stiff release = a solid hook set.

Reactions: anagranite

· Registered
1,603 Posts
Just curious as to why you are using braid on a downrigger rod.
Dont laugh, but for no other reaons than I like it, and catch fish.

My thoughts going into it were becasue the smaller diamiter, I can get MORE line on the reel.
The specs say 310 yards of 25#, well that was incorrect, after getting 300 Yards of 25# nono, and was not able to spool it all onto the reel.

I can get 30# braid, with smaller diamiter, and less resistnace, and lasts longer than Mono. At least in my scenario, I can put on a backing, and then fill with 300 yards of 30# Braid, and be set.

When fishing solo, if I see backing, its time to cut the motor, and start chasing the fish. With 300 yards, I have not had to do that just yet, but I keep trying to hook into that beast of a fish.

Also have found no difference between Braid, or Mono, or Fluorocarbon, on a rigger rod. Others may have differenet experiences.

OE

· Registered
5,469 Posts
I use Blacks on my boat. Tried Chamberlain releases and wasn't overly impressed. The wire on them was not stainless and started to show chalky white oxidation after a couple uses. Ran pinch pad releases for years before that but prefer the Blacks now.

The pinch pads being on a cable do make it easier to see when shakers grab your bait though.

· Registered
2,098 Posts
Started with Black's & went to Chamberlain's.

I like the adjustable feature of the Chamberlain release that still allows you to load up the rod without tripping the release.

Both releases are SubTroll probe connection friendly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.