Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys sorry for the newbie question. Been messing around with my fly rod in the back yard for quite awhile now trying to get my confidence up to run down to the river and wet a line.

I think I am to the point where I would not make a total fool of myself if anyone was watching but in the process the cheap line that came on my reel has taken a beating. I want to switch it out with a better line before I start actually fishing.

One thing that I have been seeing while looking at lines are classifications like: WF3F or DT4F etc. Figure the WF is weight forward and the DT is Double tapper but can't figure out or find with the number (my guess is weight of the line?) and the "F" stand for (floating maybe??)

Thanks and I'm open to any suggestions for lines. I have a 9ft 5wt rod and I'm thinking to start I will throw a WF floating line with dry flies.

Thanks in advance,
J-

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
You got it JJC. Don't worry about "making a fool outta yourself" just go and enjoy yourself. Anyone who's picked up a fly rod has been where you're at now, hell, occasionally, I take a trip down memory lane and make a complete ass out of myself with the 'ol flyrod.

Go to a local fly shop and show them a little love $, and they'll be happy to answer your questions. Depending on where and how you're fishing, they may suggest a certain brand of line or bump ya up a line size to get you throwing better. They Know their stuff, it's their job.

Good luck,
J

·
Registered
379 Posts
Good advice from Jerrob. I have found over the years that one line wt. up will improve your casting. Especially if there is some wind. Also, you will find that a DT line will roll cast a little easier than a WF if you are starting out.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Ill back up what these guys have said too,and never be afraid to try.
Start with short cast and work your way from there and stay relaxed if possible. take your time and think about were you want to put that fly learn your knots too,and enjoy it its a blast to catch fish this way.

·
Registered
640 Posts
. . . and, whenever you run into another fly fisherman, don't hesitate to announce that you are a newbie. Unless they are a total jerk (which very few are), they'll probably offer to help with whatever question you come up with.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
You have an excellent fly shop near you...

Schultz Outfitters

Stop in there and Schultzy and crew will get you headed in the right direction...

·
Registered
893 Posts
I bought some WF4 Sage line that was discontinued from Cabelas for I think $25. It was regular $80. There's all kinds of deals on discontinued line that is just as good. I think they just change the name to keep it 'fresh.'

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
the number should basicly match your rod of course. depending on what your doing once you get a little practice, you can bump up or down a number to deal with different needs,,,you'll get to that soon enough though,,,so get a reasonable line, not too cheap,,,not to expensive and get out there and wear it out.
about that time you will get a lot more of this stuff figured out. no matter how its explained doing it is always better.:fish:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
copy thanks for the info guys. Gonna stop in to Shultz's and talk to them and see what they can set me up with.

Thanks
J-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts