Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a soil test back advising to apply two tons of lime per acre. I’ve got a half acre of brassicas growing that are about 4-6 inches high with clover and rye over seeded last week. When should I spread the lime (I know I should have done it 6 momths ago)? Also can it be top dressed or should I wait and spread and till it in next year? Ph is 5.6 now
thanks

·
Registered
36,670 Posts
Lime works best when incorporated into the soil. If you can get it spread this year it will well on its way to neutralizing the acid in the soil by this time next year. It pretty well stays where is is spread so it will be there in the spring when you can till it in.

Reactions: Wild Thing

·
Registered
26,740 Posts
Spread it after the brassicas die

Reactions: Wild Thing

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I've been using Foliar Lime or Liquid Calcium on my plots. Deergro makes a good product.

·
Registered
11,629 Posts
Just got a soil test back advising to apply two tons of lime per acre. I’ve got a half acre of brassicas growing that are about 4-6 inches high with clover and rye over seeded last week. When should I spread the lime (I know I should have done it 6 momths ago)? Also can it be top dressed or should I wait and spread and till it in next year? Ph is 5.6 now
thanks
Yup - 6 months ago would have been about right but at this point you don't want to ruin your brassicas so apply it as soon as you can after the deer consume the brassicas. Till it in for best (faster) results. Brassicas probably won't realize their full potential with pH being only 5.6 but will do better in the future after you raise the pH.

·
Administrator
36,078 Posts
I've been using Foliar Lime or Liquid Calcium on my plots. Deergro makes a good product.
I am very interested in hearing more about your system of doing this including pictures of your equipment. Might go this way next year and try to mix my lime, fertilizer, etc in one batch.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I was told by an old timer once at a local elevator that if going pelletized lime, use 10-20% of the recommended AG lime on soil test.

·
Registered
19,330 Posts
I was told by an old timer once at a local elevator that if going pelletized lime, use 10-20% of the recommended AG lime on soil test.
Hmmm. I would like to hear what the reasoning is behind that line of thinking.

L & O

·
Registered
11,629 Posts
Agree with L & O. Sounds like a fairy tale to me jfishbones. Cant believe everything we hear from strangers….especially “Old Timers” :D.

·
Registered
26,740 Posts
There's been conflicting info about how long pellet takes to react. I believe both sides were from results of MSU experiments

·
Registered
755 Posts
Mis-type maybe or alcohol was being consumed;) ....I go125% with pelletized because of delayed reaction time and the dreaded sand factor on my property. Ferns are a pain to beat but sweet fern is a beast and my only success was uping the lime after nuking to keep it gone. 3 years on that spot..... knock on wood. I'll find some pics but i don't have the picture library WT has lol.

·
Registered
11,629 Posts
Disney doesn't have the picture library that WT has.

L & O
Or Natural Geographic
LOL - I do need to thin them out some. A year or so ago I was approaching 200,000 photos on my Mac... a lot of them are trail cam photos, but they all take up space and slow down my computer. Trying to greatly reduce the numbers but that takes time too. :D

Reactions: FREEPOP

·
Registered
26,740 Posts
LOL - I do need to thin them out some. A year or so ago I was approaching 200,000 photos on my Mac... a lot of them are trail cam photos, but they all take up space and slow down my computer. Trying to greatly reduce the numbers but that takes time too. :D
I applaud your filing system. It's impressive how you can come up with pictures so quickly.

·
Registered
11,629 Posts
I applaud your filing system. It's impressive how you can come up with pictures so quickly.
Lots of albums sorted alphabetically helps me locate what I am looking for.(y)

·
Registered
11,629 Posts
I thought it sounded strange also so at the time I did some research and found collaborating information.
Here is a study from University of Missouri.
View attachment 787152
Interesting J - thanks for posting. It sounds like the reduced amount of pell lime would have to be added annually but it may get you where you want to go for a current year planting. It would be interesting to see the soil pH readings from shortly after application compared with a year or two later just to see what the trend looks like.

Reactions: 3X8
1 - 20 of 22 Posts