Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
birds are gone, they just shut off. I don't get it awesome cover, tons of food, no pressure and no birds what gives. With no dog i understand its not easy, but as of lately other than a woodcock i shot i have not even heard a flushing grouse. I have been everywhere edge, creek bottom beaver dams, aspen stand mixed cover, alder, cedar, young growth old growth. :banghead:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Are we talking grouse or woodcock? Woodcock flights may be starting, but you should still find birds sprinkled about. Hell, our western U.P. trip always falls on the week of the 10th, and we always find birds. Grouse may be tough this year for those of us who have moderate success in the "up" years.
FWIW, I usually have a "write-off" day each year. Sometimes a whole weekend where I find little.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I think woodcock move around locally this time of year, so it's a possible to have a great day followed by a horrible day.
Regarding grouse, I remember a great morning two years ago with 22 flushes, all in singles and doubles. We went back to the same spot with the same dogs at the same time of day 3 or 4 days later and had 1 flush.
You have to have bad days to really appreciate the good days;)

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We where just kinda joking about the grouse going south, but woodcock yes. I will find some grouse, I made it my mission to help a Fellow MS member with a 5 month old Brittany that seems to have great potential to get her a few birds. And plus it great being up here in the Kewanaw hunting.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So where are we in the 10 year cycle now? in my assumption we should be near the low and starting to climb? I'm basing this off of NW lower where i primarily hunt.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
So where are we in the 10 year cycle now? in my assumption we should be near the low and starting to climb? I'm basing this off of NW lower where i primarily hunt.

I would say we haven't hit bottom yet unfortunately. Because it sure feels like the bottom this year. I think the next 2 years will be tough but, good winters and springs could change that too.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I would say we haven't hit bottom yet unfortunately.
I sure hope you're right. I'm having my best year yet! I'm certain that is mainly due to understanding birds better & finding better cover. Regardless, it makes me happy thinking I'm facing an increasing population with a very promising pup;)

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I sure hope you're right. I'm having my best year yet! I'm certain that is mainly due to understanding birds better & finding better cover. Regardless, it makes me happy thinking I'm facing an increasing population with a very promising pup;)

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Ohub Campfire mobile app
That's great. Glad your pup is getting plenty of chances. You're the first person I've heard of doing better this year than last. I'm going to have to sneak a GPS tracking device onto your car. Lol

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have to agree with Mr. Botek this year is better than last I am newer to bird hunting so better covers and year older dog is all helping just my 2cents.

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
It seems that the numbers are down but so far I am one bird off from last year at this same time. So with that said the numbers for me are the same for the last 5 years plus I don't hunt grouse as much as I used to

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Did the OP say he wasn't running a dog? If so they may be there but with the wet weather we've had they may just be holding tight. I'm a novice on the woodies and grouse, but my experience with pheasants tells me wet cover leads to a planted bird.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
By my records, and it not every area just where i hunt the 10 yr cycle was like almost 10 yrs ago now? I remember this because i bought a gsp from Abbe Lane, like 2 years before the peak from what i had been reading. I can remember 20 bird flushes by like a year after my dog started to hunt, he wasn't pointing them all or nothing, but i would just hear them flush off in the distance, and mark them on a counter i bought from fields sports I'm sure somebody remembers this too and was doing similar? If i was home i could look back in some old mags and find where i read some of these articles i such as pointing dog journals, and Retreiver journal, Upland Almanac, and Grouse society. Where it had claimed we where getting close too the peak. Good day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts