Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a few questions for the guys that run LED's off a single or a few deep cycle batteries. I've got 2 fairly new deep cycle marine batteries from my brother's boat that he's scrapping, and I've got a quantity of 10 LED flood lights at 40w a piece. Do you think the batteries will have enough power to give me 3 hours+ of shooting? Also, what gauge of wire should I use?

Additionally, anybody want to share some pictures of how they wired everything up?

·
Registered
793 Posts
It comes down to size of the battery / group size to amp hour reserve. You would be very close to the 3.5 hours of use in 24v.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of running 12v system because that's all the lights require. That way I could wire my batteries in parallel. Good or bad decision?

·
Registered
211 Posts
so a little math is required. 40 Watt lights running on 12 volts require approx. 3.4 amps of power. you have 10 lights so that is 34 amps of power. most deep cycle batteries are around 90 amp hour rating. it is not good practice to run a battery below 80% of it's full amp rating, so 90 times .8 equals 72 amps of usable power in each battery. that gives you approx. 144 amp hours of power with the 2 batteries. now divide 144/34, that gives you about 4.2 hours of run time. of course that number changes based on the rating on your batteries.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Scott7030 is correct, but this is why we run "deep cycle" batteries they allow you to discharge the battery fully but is not recommended for the longevity of the battery! 45%-75% is acceptable!

You can INCREASE your run time of lighting by running 2 batteries in parallel yet still yielding a 12V supply!

Better numbers can be crunched with knowing what batteries you plan on running and the amp hours they are rated for.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have had better quality light for a longer time with 2 batteries wire up in 24 volt. Most LED DC drivers will work with 9-30 volts "MOST" I would look your up before trying it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All my stuff is at my parents house, so I'll check it out this weekend. I know my lights can handle 12-24V for sure, and it sounds like 24V will give me more run time so I'll probably do that.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
24v will not get you more run time, the only thing that changes when you run 2 batteries in series is doubling the output voltage. Which will make the lighting brighter. If you want to increase run time, wire the batteries in parallel to increase capacitance of the batteries, but will yield a 12V supply

·
Registered
793 Posts
24v will not get you more run time, the only thing that changes when you run 2 batteries in series is doubling the output voltage. Which will make the lighting brighter. If you want to increase run time, wire the batteries in parallel to increase capacitance of the batteries, but will yield a 12V supply
In 2014 I tested both configurations several times with 10 custom Fitz 50 watt Cool White. The 12 volt system ran much hotter and had less over all shootable light when compared to the 24 volt system. Same battiers same lights better preformance defiantly went to 24 volt. 24 Volt less burnt fuse {12v burnt wires / 12v melt down} and had better shooting light over a longer period.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This might be a dumb question, but do I need anything other than my batteries, 10 or 12 gauge wire, and my lights to wire up my rig?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts