Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went Crappie fishing in the early evening last night and found a hole where I marked lots of fish. I figure at least some were Crappie as many were suspended. I have to tell you I had one heck of a time landing them! I ended up with a half-dozen (and one little Pike that was a blast to land on the little jigging rod!), but it took alot of patience. It seemed as though they were just taking a little of the minnow in their mouth and slowly drifing off with it, rather than sucking it in. I went to the smallest teardop I had that would still hold a minnow, and then let them take the slip bobber completely under the ice before setting the hook. Can anyone offer tips for landing lite-biting fish? Thanks in advance!
-B

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
Here's one tip,, I personally have not tried,, but it seems to make alot of sense,,,, use a small treble hook, with a tiny split shot,, if ya have to.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
When the crappies are bitting that light I use just a piece of a minnow,like a half or a third to down size things a little.....

·
Registered
781 Posts
I always clip one of the lobes off of the tail so they can't swim very well greatly improves hook ups and makes the minnow look injured. Good Luck

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
The same thing was happening to my g/f and I last night, only we were using wax worms. I was fishing about 3 feet off the bottom in 7 f.o.w. After they would bite I would give them about two or three feet of slack as they slowly swam off. I waited until they pulled the line tight and I would then set the hook. If I didn't do that I would pull the hook right out of them.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Yeah, I like the idea of the small treble or a slightly bigger teardrop. Those crappies have a pretty good size mouth so chances of hooking up with a tiny teardrop are not as good. Bigger teardrop= better the chance the tip of the hook will find its mark...Good luck to ya!!! :)

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
ok, i have two plans for light biting crappie.... if they are still taking minnows, a tiny size 16 or 18 treble, one split shot about 6-8" above it, and a small slip bobber....... you can let them run with it a while before setting the hook, as they don't get almost any resistance from the bobber.

for crappies that are just in a negative mood, they will not even chase a minnow. Downsize downsize downsize is the name of the game, small jigs with a waxie or spikes can do it.

steve

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
A couple of thingds, first I will go as small as a #20 treble if I have to and a #20 gets a SMALL minnow.

Second, sometimes they don't bite no matter what you do.

It can be very frustrating.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
... guess that's why it's called 'fishin' and not 'catchin', right! It's always fun, anyway. Some good tips guys - thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts