Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over your lifetime, whatever that may be, and for ALL reasons (lack of game, moving, going bankrupt, exceptional access and habitat - you name it) on a scale of 1-10, 0 being neutral, 10 exceeding all expectations, how would you rate your lifetime deer hunting experience compared to the present. You could go negative. All in all I'd go with a 4. More deer here in Mi. than where I used to live, but far less access knocks it well back from a 10, but still a + experience! That reason and a few thousand other experiences distills it to a 4 for me. The rating is individual and need not be defended but you can if you want!

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
10. I love every moment spent in the woods. Scouted for 3 hours again today. Figured out a big ones pattern from early season. Walked the public I killed my first buck ever on. Changed a lot but figured a few things out. All seasons have there up and downs. Hunting was the reason for the worst down of my life this year with my dad passing while pheasant hunting and he would still rate it a 10 also. Things could also get better but that's why it's so fun.

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
10. I remember telling a buddy back in 2007 after shooting 3 wall hangers in 2 years that we were living in the "good old days" of hunting. Although the success of those 2 years hasn't been repeated, I still look forward to every new season.

It's only gotten better since.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
10 been doing it for 56years if they weren’t 10s I would have found a different hobby years ago.Sure I had lots of years not getting a deer but they were still tens just out hunting with good friends and having fun when not hunting.Thats what I miss the most now hunting by my self for past five years.They all either died or can’t do it anymore.Every time I hunt now I get a little depressed sitting in my blind think of friends gone or not able to hunt.I know I will be joining them pretty soon

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
how would you rate your lifetime deer hunting experience compared to the present.
I'm not real sure about what you are asking. I rate my current and past as both 10. I'm deer hunting, and it is what it is.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I can’t follow exactly what bear blade is asking in his post, but I’m going to say 10. After many years living in many different states, I’ve been a Michigan resident for 4 years now and the hunting (and fishing) opportunities available here blow the other places I’ve lived out of the water.

I’ve even hunted multiple states out west. Not sure I’d trade Michigan for those either. 10 for me. Hope it never ends.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, I agree with the 10's when I'm out! I had access right out the back door and miles of it to roam growing up. I've never gotten over that since moving to the SLP where access is much more restricted. So compared to those days it's different. I shouldn't live in the past so much maybe.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Reactions: Sparky23

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I had access right out the back door and miles of it to roam growing up. I've never gotten over that since moving to the SLP where access is much more restricted.
Where you are makes a big difference in what you do. Once upon a time I lived in Gainesville, FL. That the home of the Gatornationals, and has a great drag strip. At that time I was a drag racer, mopar or nocar, but didn't hunt at all. I moved to the U. P. There are no drag strips, but plenty of hunting, so that is what I do now.

·
Registered
18,996 Posts
Back in the 60's deer hunting was difficult in my area of the SLP. Some farms not all that far away had ok hunting. Never did we ever dream that the deer herd would exploded like it has.
Pheasant & grouse hunting was good in the early/mid 60's. Not so good by 1970. None of either now.
Happy that turkeys were re-introduced.

L & O

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Hhhmmmm I would rate mine way higher then a 10 but seeing as you are asking on a scale from 1-10 then it’s a 10 also. I have one son and he is 16, very very busy kid, I spend late summer on the sidelines watching him play defense on the soccer field. All winter watching him play indoor soccer and all spring and summer watching him running down balls in the outfield.
The only time I get time with him it seems like is in the deer woods, I hunt for myself the first 3 weeks in November, there isn’t a number high enough that I can put on quality time with my family and that is what deer hunting is for me. The day he isn’t there.......and I know it’s looming, well let’s just say it won’t be the same.
Flight

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Not sure if this answers your question right, but my hunting life in Michigan has two distinct phases, pre-2014, before I bought my own land, and since 2014. Pre-2014 I would rate a 3. Since 2014, a solid 8 and getting better every year.

·
Premium Member
4,723 Posts

Tons of deer in the woods to hunt, APRs, phenomenal access with 1000’s of hunt able acres around my place, great friends and family to share camp with.

Not sure how you could possibly complain about hunting in Michigan.

·
Registered
9,308 Posts
5 at best. Encroachment and other hunters with poor ethics are ruining the sport. Naming deer, bragging, etc. It's only getting worse.
Sure glad I don’t hunt in your environment. Any idea what the common denominator is?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
18,996 Posts
5 at best. Encroachment and other hunters with poor ethics are ruining the sport. Naming deer, bragging, etc. It's only getting worse.
Does encroachment mean sitting along your fenceline ?
Also, why does naming deer bother you ?

L & O

1 - 20 of 38 Posts