Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there is a lifetime for life jackets? I bought a boat that came with some type 2 and other vest style jackets. They are in great shape but i seem to remember there was a exp. date on them.
Thanks

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Mr. Flatfish
7,736 Posts
Never heard of an expiration date but I would be guided by the effectiveness of the preserver as an indication of its "life." As long as it works, the fabric has not rotted/frayed/deteriorated, snaps work, or the internals have become externals, and I still want it on my craft because it looks OK, then it stays.

If you have further questions, suggest you ask a Coast Guard rep for guidance...

·
Super Moderator
37,742 Posts
As long as they are in good shape they are good to use.......
BUT - The only life jacket that does you any good is the one you are wearing, and most people hate wearing hot and bulky vests. I have these on my boat and they are worn whenever we are underway, or all the time of the water is under 70 or rough. I had a kid fall off the rear casting deck when we got hit by a large wake a couple of weeks ago, I easily recovered the kid and the rod he was holding after the vest auto inflated.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...&subdeptNum=50470&classNum=50481#.T9HQLFJdPq4

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. And i do agree the only way they work to is if you wear them.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Exposure has a lot do with lifespan. Nylan gets stiff and brittle and thread will rot. The more exposure to the elements, the faster those things happen. As mentioned, if they look good after a thorough examination, they are probably good to go. Feel free to test them....and make sure they fit you and your passengers.
Me being a big guy, I have a couple life vests that I use for different fishing (kayak etc) and I bring one with me if I am a guest on a boat. That way we know it will fit if/when necessary. I also have a manual inflatable pfd from Bass Pro that is easy to wear in warm weather or over rain gear etc. Cheap insurance.

You are already ahead of the game if you are concerned with them.....most just throw them in a storage compartment and forget about them.

Off topic but years ago I got checked by the DNR for licenses and jackets on my boat. It took me more than 5 minutes to get the jackets unstuffed from bow storage. Was kind of an eye opening experience....good thing I didn't need them in an emergency. Lesson learned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts