Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

License increase?????????

3K views 39 replies 23 participants last post by  Rusher 
#1 ·
Pure BS stop using money to plant fish that won't reproduce and manage the money in a responsible manner and we don't need the increase in the lic. costs. I am so sick of government doin this you don't have the same revenue because hunter numbers are dropping because the people in charge have done a piss poor job "managing" the herd. JMO

ADAM

#2 ·
Perhaps you can give us one specific example of how the DNR is not managing our money in a responsible manner? Hunter numbers are dropping for a lot of reasons, like loss of habitat, urban sprawl etc. etc.. Some people even think the deer are doing so much damage to the habitat that deer numbers need to be reduced. To blame the people in charge for doing a “piss poor job” is capricious unless you have some facts that you can post to defend that opinion.

Maybe you didn’t experience the kind of hunt you think you are entitled to, but that does not mean the people in charge did a piss poor job. There could actually be another explanation!

From what I can tell, the people in the DNR are doing a very good job. Is there room for improvement? Of course there is, but that could apply to just about everyone. I think people lose a lot of credibility when they make general emotional statements that just show they are angry or frustrated.

I have no clue on what you mean by planting fish that don’t reproduce, but perhaps whatever your talking about would make a good topic for discussion?

#3 ·
Pure BS stop using money to plant fish that won't reproduce
There are no hard numbers to support what I'm going to say but I'll say it any way. Those fish that they are planting are bringing in alot of out of state visitors to catch the runs. I'd be willing to bet that the money spent on the fisheries is far less than the money it brings to the Michigan economy.

Don't worry there going to raise all lisceses across the board. Which doesn't make my wallet happy, but I don't have a problem paying these fees. What I don't want to see is a total reduction with in the DNR and with the fisheries. If we don't buck up now, that may be what the future holds. Also watch out for the state selling off land. Those are the things that are of the greater concern for me.

#4 ·
License fee increase? Yes!

As Users of Michigan's great outdoors we cry for more, but, some are not willing to pay for it.

#5 ·
Whit1 said:

As Users of Michigan's great outdoors we cry for more, but, some are not willing to pay for it.
I agree!!! The DNR need's to utilize the money in proper order though. I really don't care if they double the cost's, as long as there is a plan on how it is gonna be used. I buy resident tag's in IL as well and they are almost $200 by the time I'm done just to bowhunt. Ous state could learn a lot from Illinois.

#6 ·
Whit1 said:

A resident 'Combo Hunt/Fish/Big Game Gun/Big Game Nonquote' down here is 80 bucks - Whitetail, bear, boar and Turkey - thats 2 bucks 3 doe/day (In my WMA). Oh, and fishing is included.

ferg....

#7 ·
Instead of an increase maybe we should be complaining about the drip funds that the legislature won't release to the DNR. These funds were supposed to be restricted funds. If a license increase goes into effect, which I'm sure it will, what prevents the legislature from tapping into these funds as well? I'm all for the increase IF it goes where intended. Obviously we,as the recipients of the increases, have no say in the matter.....Jim

#8 ·
JAG said:
Instead of an increase maybe we should be complaining about the drip funds that the legislature won't release to the DNR...
I know the DNR has one employee dedicated to identifying/purchasing deer habitat using drip funds. I know they have made a couple of deer yard purchases over the last couple of years in the south central UP. I'm pretty sure they are currently negotiating for the purchase of a large parcel in Marquette county using drip funds.

The unreleased DRIP fund issue is at least in part related to the fact that while the DNR has money to buy land, they do not have adequate funds to make PILT payments on lands they already own, much less on newly purchased parcels. Some in Lansing want to stop all land purchases by the state until the PILT issue is resolved.

You can find more info on this issue here:

http://www.mlui.org/growthmanagement/fullarticle.asp?fileid=16535

Or by googling "+michigan +pilt"

-na

#9 ·
It seems to me that,after reading this, user fees would help solve the PILT problem, but isn't holding up the DRIP funds only making the problem worse? A portion of the PILT fund comes out of this money anyway even though it's a restricted fund. Like I said, I have no problem with a license fee increase as long as the legislature keeps their hands out of the pot.

#11 ·
I think you will find that the DNR does not get that money but it is money spent because of the fine work done by the DNR. Perhaps the legislature should recognize that fact and find a way to get more general fund dollars into projects that promote hunting and fishing programs?

#12 ·
I have no problem with a license increase....... In fact I have said right along that we've had it pretty good here. I don't think license increases over the last 20 years have even kept pace with the inflation rate. When compared with any other hobbie, entertainment, recreation, or assorted vices it's a pretty small price to pay in order to enjoy the hunting, fishing, and trapping that is available in our state. Having said that, I would like to know where the numbers are published that break down spending allocation vs. the revenue taken in through license sales?

#13 ·
luv 2 bowhunt said:
The dnr need a new accountant!
Read the back of your 2005 MI Hunting and Trapping Guide:

"Michigan ranks first in the nation in licensed hunters (one million), who contribute $2 billion annually to our economy."

What are they doing with all of that revenue now????????????
The DNR doesn't get the $2 million, that's what hunters spend to aid Michigan's economy. It's an economic figure which shows the impact of hunting on the economy.

#14 ·
If you don't like it, don't buy it. End of story. Maybe you and the rest of the clan will make a point and the fees can go up some more.

Go to Ontario for $175 + $35. Or Iowa for $400+. Let alone travel and guide costs. I know I won't be seing many more hunters in "my" woods now and that's a plus if you ask me. Maybe with less and less hunters, the herd will come back a bit and maybe even have more quality bucks. But when you come back and buy your first deer tag after your "strike", remember, you're the one who complained.

#16 ·
Spuds,

Why in the world would you want to pay additional money for using state land. The State of Michigan already receives $$$$$ through the Federal Goverment which you already pay through your taxes and this dosen't include your state taxes you pay yearly. When has an increase of tax ever or use fee resolved any problems????? Gee!, whats next put & take deer hunting or are going back to the days of paying the King's tax. The State needs to review thier spending and work with ajoining states by not duplicating studies, practices which the majority of time, wastes money. If you look back kinda like their pheasant program which burnt down $$$$$$$$, and came to an abrupt end.

#17 ·
A lot of people misunderstand what I am saying here. First I have been a great supporter of the DNR in the past look at my threads so this is not a DNR bash thread at all by me but I do not agree with raising the prices when the money is being managed poorly. Plant fish where they will not reproduce. Plant more and more steelhead salmon etc if they cannot sustain a population. Wipe deer out in areas of the state so hunter abandon these areas thats where they went they don't see deer so they do not come back. If I cannot manage my money appropriately I can't just go tell my employer I need more. We are their employer. DO we pay way too much for licenses in this state NO we do not but until I see them using it wisely I get irritated by increasing it.

AW

#18 ·
I don't think improper management is the problem at all. It's lack of funds coming in due to a very outdated fee structure and old contracts that we all have to live with with things like pensions, insurance, etc.. Deer tags should have been $20 some 15 years ago and $40 today. The fees should keep up with inflation and reflect auto price increases, home increases and gas increases, etc.
If anything, the ability to raise fees needs to be stripped from the legislature and the NRC should be able to raise fees when it needs to, all by itself.

#19 ·
I agree....use the money better...before increasing the fees...Look at ORV fees now 16.25 per year....I have not seen any trail improvements at all since 1998....where that money going? I'm sure its being used for other state projects...

Adam Waszak said:
A lot of people misunderstand what I am saying here. First I have been a great supporter of the DNR in the past look at my threads so this is not a DNR bash thread at all by me but I do not agree with raising the prices when the money is being managed poorly. Plant fish where they will not reproduce. Plant more and more steelhead salmon etc if they cannot sustain a population. Wipe deer out in areas of the state so hunter abandon these areas thats where they went they don't see deer so they do not come back. If I cannot manage my money appropriately I can't just go tell my employer I need more. We are their employer. DO we pay way too much for licenses in this state NO we do not but until I see them using it wisely I get irritated by increasing it.

AW

#20 ·
The money has to go somewhere but where I mean look at what you pay if youare a dedicated sportsman in this state per year with small game, waterfowl stamps, doe tags, combo deer, fur harvester, norestrictes fish, orv, boats, turkey(2 times). That adds up quick! 700,000 firearm hunters at a minimum of 14 bucks a pop? Thats $9.8 million just there before you add those who purchase combo licenses. I realize there is a lot of money involved with payroll etc but lets face it we have way too few CO's inthe state, We spend way too much on fisheries and plantings that are absurd etc. That is a lot of money. If the lic was 100 dollars I wouldn't be happy but I would still hunt and pay the money but I fear we are heading for an era of the havs and the hav nots in this state. Lets see some results with what we give currently first

AW

#21 ·
Adam Waszak said:
We spend way too much on fisheries and plantings that are absurd etc.
AW
Adam, You mentioned this or variations thereof a few times. Can you give some examples of what you're talking about?

#22 ·
Whit we do inland plantings of fish where the fish do not reproduce succesfully for on ereason or another so why continue to not listen to mother nature its like releasing chuckars in michigan kinda a waste of money don't you think nopt to mention the salmon etc why keep releasing in rivers if they are not successful in spawning and maintaining their own populations?

AW

#23 ·
Adam Waszak said:
Whit we do inland plantings of fish where the fish do not reproduce succesfully for on ereason or another so why continue to not listen to mother nature its like releasing chuckars in michigan kinda a waste of money don't you think nopt to mention the salmon etc why keep releasing in rivers if they are not successful in spawning and maintaining their own populations?

AW
Examples! Can you give specific examples!

Certainly the Grand R, Kalamazoo R., and St. Joe R. would be three examples of rivers where fish are planted and they cannot reproduce in those systems. However, the very fact that they are near population centers and offer some excellent fishing within a short drive of the rivers for a LOT of anglers makes them worthwhile. Those Southern MI anglers spend money on license fees, equipment, etc. In the long run those plantings do pay off of the DNR and the economics of fishing.

Okay! Let's agree with what you say and stop all plantings of fish where they cannot spawn naturally. That will do one of two things.

One: Severely reduce license fee income for the DNR......just what they need!

Two: Bring those thousands of anglers up to a few, select Northern Michigan rivers, The PM, Little Manistee, and Platte Rivers. The Big Manistee R. would be cut out because it doesn't fit your criteria of being able to sustain a naturally reproducing salmon and trout fishery. The Betsie is out (it just about is anyway). I'm not sure about the Pentwater R.

As you can see, by limiting plants to only streams that can produce a self sustaining steelhead and salmon population would shut down the vast majority of our streams.

Is that what you want?

#24 ·
Whit1 said:

Certainly the Grand R, Kalamazoo R., and St. Joe R. would be three examples of rivers where fish are planted and they cannot reproduce in those systems. However, the very fact that they are near population centers and offer some excellent fishing within a short drive of the rivers for a LOT of anglers makes them worthwhile. Those Southern MI anglers spend money on license fees, equipment, etc. In the long run those plantings do pay off of the DNR and the economics of fishing.

Okay! Let's agree with what you say and stop all plantings of fish where they cannot spawn naturally. That will do one of two things.

Two: Bring those thousands of anglers up to a few, select Northern Michigan rivers, The PM, Little Manistee, and Platte Rivers. The Big Manistee R. would be cut out because it doesn't fit your criteria of being able to sustain a naturally reproducing salmon and trout fishery. The Betsie is out (it just about is anyway). I'm not sure about the Pentwater R.

As you can see, by limiting plants to only streams that can produce a self sustaining steelhead and salmon population would shut down the vast majority of our streams.

Is that what you want?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He named names !!!! :yikes: :yikes: :help:

ferg....

sorry - couldn't help it - :evilsmile

#25 ·
I will only support hunting and fishing license increases if the DNR can garantee that the general funding of the DNR from the state will remain constant and that all DNR restricted funds will be used for their intended uses.

Sportsmen have been footing the lion's share of the bill for the DNR for way to long. I'd like to see a license requirement for all users of public lands. Say a $25 anual fee per vehicle that would be requied to park on or near public lands. The Feds are already doing this on some of their lands. The DNR already has a state park sticker that would work fine. I'd gladly pay it as long as it went into a restricted fund that the politicians could not raid.

#26 ·
Whit1 said:

Is that what you want?

Alright don't have a coronary I do not have specific lakes right now milt but I have read the info. I have relatives who work for the DEQ and the office of the great lakes and we do plant in the lakes which is no different by you r reasoning for the rivers. Those people who fish those streams you mention will still buy fishing licenses soi that argument is out. It is a waste of money plain and simple do we release alligators in northern michigan to have hunts for them no why not? Do we release chukars all over stateland no? Why not because they will die and in essence it is a waste of money there is so much spent on the fisheries where it is wasted it is one thing to release walleye where they will take off and the population may be helped by doing so but to release salmon etc where the end result is they will die then that is a waste of tax payers money. Otherwise on those mentioned rivers you may as well snag the hell outta them because it is just money swimmin up to die and rot there. We have seen some pretty foolish things happen but that one is right up there with devastating the deer herd in NLP what is the difference between that which makes the deer hunting only good in the south and making the steelhead and salmon only good in the north?

Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.