Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past I have always walked in with only my drivers license to get my tags. This year they wanted a past license or hunters safety certificate. Not just my drivers license.

Then I asked for an archery combo. They said that combos are now 1 buck with a gun, 1 buck with a bow????? I WAS SO CONFUSED!!!

I'm going to be hunting in Mecosta county and in Roscommon county. They told me that does were not going to be harvested in either county. Roscommon I knew because it was old news, but Mecosta too??

Then later after talking with my dad who spoke with a friend up north, I was told that combo archery you can still take a doe or a buck with a bow, with some other stipulation.

I know that anterless should be going on sale today, but I'm so FRIGGIN confused!!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I believe the store clerk is the one who is confused, nothing has changed with the combo license. Per the 2008 Hunting Guide pg 19; "A hunter can use both kill tags in the firearm or archery seasons". ...."The regular combination kill tag can be used in the archery seasons to tag either an antlered or antlerless deer". Was that your question?

ST8

·
Registered
493 Posts
from the DNR website:
[SIZE=+1]Combination Deer Hunting License - 2008[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Residents and nonresidents are entitled to purchase only one license with two kill tags (regular and restricted) for use during any firearm hunting season (youth, regular firearm, and muzzleloading) or archery seasons. A hunter can use both kill tags in the firearm seasons, both in the archery season or one in each season. Youngsters 10 and 11 are restricted to archery-only hunting.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The regular combination kill tag can be used in the archery seasons to tag either an antlered or antlerless deer. The regular combination kill tag can be used in the firearm seasons to tag a legal (3 inches or longer antler) antlered deer of any size except in the UP (see UP restrictions below) and for those areas with exceptions as listed in Antler Restriction Regulations [/SIZE]

·
Registered
120 Posts
this will be my first year bow hunting. i was wondering if you can take 2 does with your bow?? and if you do take only 1, can you use any tag or do you have to use the unrestricted tag??

·
Registered
376 Posts
from the DNR website:
[SIZE=+1]Combination Deer Hunting License - 2008[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Residents and nonresidents are entitled to purchase only one license with two kill tags (regular and restricted) for use during any firearm hunting season (youth, regular firearm, and muzzleloading) or archery seasons. A hunter can use both kill tags in the firearm seasons, both in the archery season or one in each season. Youngsters 10 and 11 are restricted to archery-only hunting.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The regular combination kill tag can be used in the archery seasons to tag either an antlered or antlerless deer. The regular combination kill tag can be used in the firearm seasons to tag a legal (3 inches or longer antler) antlered deer of any size except in the UP (see UP restrictions below) and for those areas with exceptions as listed in Antler Restriction Regulations [/SIZE]

You can take two does with your bow if you have the permits (doe tags can be bought separately but are broken into sections, some sections are not allowing does to be taken at all, some are only by lottery, and some have over the counter in certain quantity. If you only have a combo then you have to follow the above rule.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
this will be my first year bow hunting. i was wondering if you can take 2 does with your bow?? and if you do take only 1, can you use any tag or do you have to use the unrestricted tag??
Your Combo permits should have text on them explaining exactly what they can be used on, but to answer your question, yes, you can use either the Restricted or the Regular Combo Tag on a doe (or both on two does) during Archery season only. During regular firearms season, November 15-30, the Combo Tags can be used only on antlered bucks.

In many DMUs, there are also leftover antlerless permits available for Over-The-Counter purchase (OTC sales began this morning). You might want to go to www.michigan.gov/dnr and check it out. You can also buy the leftover permits online from the DNR site. If you want to participate in the September 18-22 early antlerless hunt, you'll need a private land antlerless permit to do so. You also have to wear orange, whether using a gun or a bow.

Best Regards,
Byron :)

·
Registered
15,171 Posts
Your Combo permits should have text on them explaining exactly what they can be used on, but to answer your question, yes, you can use either the Restricted or the Regular Combo Tag on a doe (or both on two does) during Archery season only. During regular firearms season, November 15-30, the Combo Tags can be used only on antlered bucks.

In many DMUs, there are also leftover antlerless permits available for Over-The-Counter purchase (OTC sales began this morning). You might want to go to www.michigan.gov/dnr and check it out. You can also buy the leftover permits online from the DNR site. If you want to participate in the September 18-22 early antlerless hunt, you'll need a private land antlerless permit to do so. You also have to wear orange, whether using a gun or a bow.

Best Regards,
Byron :)
I thought you can only use your un-restricted tag for an antlerless deer during archery only. And if you do, you would only be allowed 1 buck for the entire year with your remaining combo tag, which would be restricted to a buck with atleast 4 points on one side. Once you purchase a combo license, you will not be allowed to purchase another tag legal for a buck. So if your ok with shooting 1 buck per year all hunting seasons combined, then why not use the tag. Am I correct?:confused:

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
from the DNR website:
My interpretation of the above is that no, you cannot use both tags on a combo license for 2 does during archery season. It says "regular combination kill tag" which translates to the unrestricted tag. It states that this tag can be used in the archery season to tag either an antlered or antlerless deer. That leaves the restricted tag, which can only be used for a buck. Am I right or wrong?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
BTW, the confusion was not helped by a partial quote above. Here's the whole thing:
Combination Deer Hunting License - 2008

Residents and nonresidents are entitled to purchase only one license with two kill tags (regular and restricted) for use during any firearm hunting season (youth, regular firearm, and muzzleloading) or archery seasons. A hunter can use both kill tags in the firearm seasons, both in the archery season or one in each season. Youngsters 10 and 11 are restricted to archery-only hunting.

The regular combination kill tag can be used in the archery seasons to tag either an antlered or antlerless deer. The regular combination kill tag can be used in the firearm seasons to tag a legal (3 inches or longer antler) antlered deer of any size except in the UP (see UP restrictions below) and for those areas with exceptions as listed in Antler Restriction Regulations

The restricted combination kill tag can be used in the archery seasons to tag an antlerless deer. It also can be used to tag an antlered deer during either the archery or firearms seasons if the antlered deer has at least one antler with four or more antler points each one inch or longer. It is unlawful to use this tag on a smaller antlered deer regardless of the season or area in which it was taken.

UP Restrictions: Individuals hunting in the UP that purchased their combination license after June 11, 2008, the regular combination license now has a restriction of one antler with at least 3 or more antler points, each 1 inch in length during all deer seasons (youth, archery, firearm, and muzzleloader).
Exceptions: See Antler Restriction Regulations

·
Registered
15,171 Posts
Ok but, if you use one for a doe, you will only be allowed 1 buck for the entire year. The tag you have left will dictate weather restricted to 4points or no restrictions.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I too am looking at my combo license and the Restricted tag says
"Valid for a deer which must have at least one antler with 4 or more antler points 1 inch or longer in firearm or archery seasons, or antlerless deer only in archery season"

On the DNR deer hunting FAQ page it also states that you can take two antlerless deer with a combo tag, during archery season only.

·
Registered
15,171 Posts
My interpretation of the above is that no, you cannot use both tags on a combo license for 2 does during archery season. It says "regular combination kill tag" which translates to the unrestricted tag. It states that this tag can be used in the archery season to tag either an antlered or antlerless deer. That leaves the restricted tag, which can only be used for a buck. Am I right or wrong?
Thats the way it has been for quite some time. That tag you would have left will be restricted to a buck with atleast 4 points on 1 side in the slp.

·
Registered
15,171 Posts
ooooook. So I ask, if you use both combo tags for doe's, are you then not allowed to shoot a buck? As far as I know you cant purchase another combo, archery or firearms lic. after purchasing the combo.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Since you have used both valid tags for does, that leaves you without any tags for a buck. Can't buy another license for a buck, so that leaves you without a buck tag.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
ooooook. So I ask, if you use both combo tags for doe's, are you then not allowed to shoot a buck? As far as I know you cant purchase another combo, archery or firearms lic. after purchasing the combo.
:coolgleam You're correct. You've used up your chance's at an antlered deer. :fish:

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Thats the way it has been for quite some time. That tag you would have left will be restricted to a buck with atleast 4 points on 1 side in the slp.
You would be restricted to a buck with 4 pts or more one side one if you use you unrestricted tag first. You dont have to use your unrestricted tag first on a doe during archery. If you want to shoot a doe and save your unrestricted tag then use your restricted tag first. Theres nothing saying wich tag you have to use first.

·
Registered
120 Posts
so can you use it to tag a antlerless deer on state land or just private??? i have been told different answers by a bunch of different people...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.