Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from another thread and so the other doesn't get off topic I started a new thread. This threads topic is about deer hunting licenses and reporting those that one knows is purposely with intent of breaking a very common law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskyDan
Reduced hunter numbers or reduced hunters buying licenses numbers?? I know a large number of people who shoot first and buy later as it stands, I don't think your plan would get you anywhere.
Did you really want to say that? I can't understand a person who knows "a large number of people" who purposely and intentionally break a law that is commonly know and completely unfair to all other good honest sportsperson to allow that to happen and be a part of it because they do nothing. Please give me some insight of why doing nothing about knowing a large number of people that break the law is right.

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Same problem with everything today Ray, people 'know' what other are doing wrong but don't want anyone to know, that they know, and if they turn them in, then they might have to 'face' them in court and then - who knows what might happen then? - Stick my head back in the sand - sad - it's not just poaching and tresspassing either - it's the meth cooker down the road and grass seller up the street - everyone 'knows' it's going on, but - I'll stick my head in the sand.

Military took care of that in a great way in the UCMJ - if you know someone that violated the UCMJ and you didn't turn them in, and it was found out later that you knew, your guilty as the person that did the crime - that kept a sharp eye out for those the chose to violate.

ferg....

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I can't understand a person who knows "a large number of people" who purposely and intentionally break a law that is commonly know and completely unfair to all other good honest sportsperson to allow that to happen and be a part of it because they do nothing.
Is violation of that law (license after the fact) any different (worse?) than the violations of all the other laws out there? (i.e. overbaiting, maintaining bait/salt blocks/mineral stations out of season, the lighted, "recreational viewing" pile at the edge of the back yard that no one ever shoots deer over, etc)

-na

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ferg,
Not trying to be picky but I'm not sure as to what USMJ is that you're referring to. I'm familiar with UCMJ?
It's very unfortunate how badly people abuse the hunting and fishing laws. At the same time, realistically how do you enforce it; in other words is there the time and man power to do so?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I don't know how people do that stuff and hunt in a relaxed fashion. I would ba so nervous it wouldn't be worth being out there for me.

Ganzer

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Is violation of that law (license after the fact) any different (worse?) than the violations of all the other laws out there? (i.e. overbaiting, maintaining bait/salt blocks/mineral stations out of season, the lighted, "recreational viewing" pile at the edge of the back yard that no one ever shoots deer over, etc)

-na
I'd have to check the penalties on those law to see which is 'worse' - but - they are all worthy of a dropping a dime on the RAP Line - at least to me they are. At least, and I mean at the very least, I'd be able to look myself in the mirror while I was shaving ;)

ferg....

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
before I weigh in on what Boehr wants me to weigh in on I would like to bring up another scenario that I am well aware of taking place. On the property that borders mine there is a 72 year old man, from as I can remember he was a bow hunter until about 4 years ago when he could no longer pull what he considered to be sufficient to kill a deer. At that time he began hunting with a crossbow which he could not acquire the appropriate permit for. Should I call the rap line? In my store I have sold literally hundreds of crossbows to older gentleman who may or may not have had the proper permits, what I can state as fact is that they were going to be hunting regardless.

Back to the point, in the past 28 years I have lived in my home I have never seen a DNR officer feed a deer, squirrel, rabbit, coon or any other wildlife that abounds on my acreage. I have never seen them working the ground planting foodplots or doing anything to improve the habitat on my property nor the surrounding privately owned ground.

In fact about 10 years ago I actually did need to call the rap line. A man and his grand daughter shot a giant buck off of my property while sitting in my blind, and with a 22. I actually heard the shots and confronted the man and then called the rap line. I was told unless I was willing to press charges there was nothing that could/would be done.

So, if I am hunting my little piece of heaven here behind the house and don't buy a license, or better yet I buy a doe tag but not a buck tag, and I wait until I shoot a buck to buy the tag, how am I hurting you and the hunting where you call home?

·
Registered
20,914 Posts
The revenue that the dnr bases theyre budget on is from license sales not deer harvested. If every hunter waited until the killed a buck to buy a tag, and didnt buy one if unsuccessful. That would cut the revenue from deer license sales by 75% or so. Affecting all of us.

The suggestion thats its ok because they didnt improve your property and you did is a joke to put it nicely. You are referring to #1 a public resource(deer) and #2 suggesting that they should use public funds from licenses which you dont want to buy to improve your property. If they did spend public funds on your property would you open it to hunting by the public whose funds would be used ?

lets not forget the most important part. If you wait until you kill a buck to buy a tag....THATS POACHING. It makes you no better than that old man, unless he had a tag. then your worse.

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
before I weigh in on what Boehr wants me to weigh in on I would like to bring up another scenario that I am well aware of taking place. On the property that borders mine there is a 72 year old man, from as I can remember he was a bow hunter until about 4 years ago when he could no longer pull what he considered to be sufficient to kill a deer. At that time he began hunting with a crossbow which he could not acquire the appropriate permit for. Should I call the rap line? In my store I have sold literally hundreds of crossbows to older gentleman who may or may not have had the proper permits, what I can state as fact is that they were going to be hunting regardless.

Back to the point, in the past 28 years I have lived in my home I have never seen a DNR officer feed a deer, squirrel, rabbit, coon or any other wildlife that abounds on my acreage. I have never seen them working the ground planting foodplots or doing anything to improve the habitat on my property nor the surrounding privately owned ground.

In fact about 10 years ago I actually did need to call the rap line. A man and his grand daughter shot a giant buck off of my property while sitting in my blind, and with a 22. I actually heard the shots and confronted the man and then called the rap line. I was told unless I was willing to press charges there was nothing that could/would be done.

So, if I am hunting my little piece of heaven here behind the house and don't buy a license, or better yet I buy a doe tag but not a buck tag, and I wait until I shoot a buck to buy the tag, how am I hurting you and the hunting where you call home?
That would make u a common violater or poacher if you will, and I'd turn you in as fast as any other - it's not about what you have done to me - you have violated the law - a common thief -

You are the only one that has to look at you in that mirror -

What do you see? :(

Ferg....

·
Registered
14,823 Posts
Not purchasing a license until a deer has been shot is a reflection of a person's character. Or more accurately, their lack of character. On top of the character issue, the person who operates that way is demonstrating a serious lack of intellect. Calling them a mental midget would be an insult to those who've achieved that status.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Not purchasing a license until a deer has been shot is a reflection of a person's character. Or more accurately, their lack of character. On top of the character issue, the person who operates that way is demonstrating a serious lack of intellect. Calling them a mental midget would be an insult to those who've achieved that status.
Cheap ignorant sumbitch is a faster way to describe someone that wants to save $15 in hopes he don't get caught just to pay $1000's.:rolleyes::dizzy::dizzy:

·
Registered
14,823 Posts
Cheap ignorant sumbitch is a faster way to describe someone that wants to save $15 in hopes he don't get caught just to pay $1000's.:rolleyes::dizzy::dizzy:
Can't ya just picture it now? Doofus without a license shoots a doe, drives 22 miles roundtrip in his old pickup truck to the sportings goods store ($8/gas). In addition to the tag he picks up $5/worth of snacks and drinks and so forth because he's hungry and still has to go back and gut out and tag the deer before he can get home for supper. Over dinner he then brags to his equally dimwit wife about his financial prowess in waiting to buy that $10/ tag until the point when he knew the money wasn't going to go to waste.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Can't ya just picture it now? Doofus without a license shoots a doe, drives 22 miles roundtrip in his old pickup truck to the sportings goods store ($8/gas). In addition to the tag he picks up $5/worth of snacks and drinks and so forth because he's hungry and still has to go back and gut out and tag the deer before he can get home for supper. Over dinner he then brags to his equally dimwit wife about his financial prowess in waiting to buy that $10/ tag until the point when he knew the money wasn't going to go to waste.
Hey!! I think I know that guy!!:lol::lol:

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
The point behind this hypothetical situation was to comment on another posters view of pricing licenses out of some peoples grasp. My immeadiate reply was that if that was to be the case, raising prices out of peoples grasp, we would simply find people shooting first to pay later.

So if there is no public land in a DMU why are the hunters there subject to the same price for a license? I mean if they aren't getting the same bang for their buck as far as services go doesn't it stand to reason their licenses should be cheaper, based on the previous comments.

I don't condon the poaching and as stated above I have called the RAP line when I felt it necessary.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
You would be amazed at how many character lacking people there are out there. I sell licenses to these folks everyday and hear comments like "I am just buying one doe tag, that makes me legal to be in the woods, if I shoot a buck it is a bonus and I will buy a tag." I have no way of knowing specifically where these people hunt and if I will ever even see them again. What would I say to the people on the rap line? "I suspect these people are going to be poaching and they hunt in DMU 065, you'll have to take it from there!"

You completely skirted the hypothetical situation. Should I hide my head in shame for not calling the rap line on my old neighbor? He is blatantly breaking the law with his crossbow! Perhaps not rapping him out makes me low in character but I see it differently.

How many of you on your high horses call 911 when you see a person driving with no seatbelt on or driving a bit over the speed limit, they are breaking the law and from the sounds of it you should be ashamed to look in the mirror if you don't turn them in.

Don't tell me there is a difference because breaking the is breaking the law, right?

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
This is from another thread and so the other doesn't get off topic I started a new thread. This threads topic is about deer hunting licenses and reporting those that one knows is purposely with intent of breaking a very common law.

Quote:

Did you really want to say that? I can't understand a person who knows "a large number of people" who purposely and intentionally break a law that is commonly know and completely unfair to all other good honest sportsperson to allow that to happen and be a part of it because they do nothing. Please give me some insight of why doing nothing about knowing a large number of people that break the law is right.

Yes I meant to say that! In every aspect of my hunting and fishing I could find fault with so called sportsman. At the boat ramp in Quanicassee I see people getting double limits and using the ramp without putting the 6 bucks in the slot. At Tippy Dam I can't count the number of times I have seen people blatantly snagging salmon and/or steelhead. The littering that goes on at the riverbanks all over the state of Michigan. I fish/hunt 2-3 days a week or more and if I called the RAP line everytime I witnessed any type of violation I would have 800-292-7800 on my speed dial. I don't like it any more than the next guy in fact I probably despise it more but what gets me is that if I can see it happening why cant the DNR? At the boat launch alone I bet there is 300 dollars of revenue lost daily, should I patrol the ramp, that is what it sounds like you want us/me to be doing?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Why would anyone call? I have personal experience with the RAP line and it's effectiveness ( or lack thereof ). There was a man who poached 15 to 20 deer per year who lived down the road from me. No less than 5 neighbors called or personally talked with CO's including myself. I personally saw this person shoot and drag out no less than 7 deer one year alone.(with a gun during Sept. and Oct.) NOTHING was done. He would boast to the neighbors how stupid the DNR was. Finally after 5 long years of calls he was caught red handed. It took 4 years before anyone had been taken seriously. The case was thrown out. The head CO in charge said "let it go."

The only thing that slowed down this poacher has been adversity with his health. He's an old man and the CO's told me old age would have to get him.

So why would anyone call? I don't know. I never will call or assist any CO/Rap line again. I wouldn't want to waste my breathe.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm sorry you did mean what you say the Dan, at least sorry for you.

I'm sorry for anyone that uses an excuse that the RAP Line or CO didn't do anything. I would love to go through the case step by step on about anyone who said that verses their one sided story.

If your not part of the cure, your part of the problem.

This is exactly why some people are just plain hypocrites when they complain about what the DNR does or doesn't do when they should be looking at themselves. They only think what is right for them and not what is best for the natural resources.:rant:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.