Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

61 - 80 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Gave up on it this morning. No shooting to speak of one little doe,and a huge coon.
I feel like I need to hunt afternoon, can't today but tomorrow and especially Sunday with that front coming they ought to be feeding !

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Finally!!! After 12 long , long seasons of literally never seeing a legal buck to shoot. He stepped out.

Bunch of doe in the field as it got light. A spike came from a different direction and was hassling the doe. Then he came out. Walked up to the spike, they butted heads a few times and he looked right up at me from across the field, gave me a good look at his rack , that I thought might have been the tall light brown grass on the other side of the field they were standing at . Nope. A nice chip shot at 160 for the 7--mm08 and he was down. Unfortunately I felt I had to put a second one in him as he just layed down after the first shot , then kept standing back up with no wobble.

I can't say this one got to me a little. 12 seasons is a long time to wait.
20207pt3.jpg

20207pt2.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,335 Posts
Finally!!! After 12 long , long seasons of literally never seeing a legal buck to shoot. He stepped out.

Bunch of doe in the field as it got light. A spike came from a different direction and was hassling the doe. Then he came out. Walked up to the spike, they butted heads a few times and he looked right up at me from across the field, gave me a good look at his rack , that I thought might have been the tall light brown grass on the other side of the field they were standing at . Nope. A nice chip shot at 160 for the 7--mm08 and he was down. Unfortunately I felt I had to put a second one in him as he just layed down after the first shot , then kept standing back up with no wobble.

View attachment 608863
View attachment 608865
congrats. The dry spell is over. Good job

·
Registered
18,221 Posts

View attachment 608863
View attachment 608865
Now you messed up a good streak you had goin! :lol:

Congrats on your long won prize.
And applause for your sticking with it.
Celebrate!:woohoo1:

·
Registered
314 Posts
I gave you a honk at 10 on my way to Autozone. I shot a couple does in there the first year they had that hunt. They had me parking at the north end and hunting at the south end a mile walk. I live in Gib and keep a boat in the water all year, so I did a boat extraction on both of them. Message me if you need a hand.
View attachment 608777 I’m out hunting in the Detroit International Wildlife Refuge this weekend. A little different hunting area than I’m used to! I’ve got a steel factory 200 yards from me and the road I’m on has been nonstop semi truck traffic, but I couldn’t be happier, I’m hunting and it happens to be less than 2 miles from my house!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Hoyt, could you elaborate bit about your stand? What is the light brown we see in the photo? How many acres are you hunting. Your having some good movement it seems like for so late in the year. I’m guessing you haven’t shot anything there yet? The reason I think this, when I plant corn I’d have late season action, right up until one of my buddies wants to shoot a doe. Then it dies down quickly, and they spend very little daylight time out in the field.
That light stuff is just grass that you see. The deer are feeding on the rye before heading into their bedding. I’m the only person hunting this 300+ acres. There is cut corn on the farm but I cannot see it from my stand. Btw- I shot a doe from this spot last Sunday morning. She piled up right next to the farm road so no tracking or dragging which kept any disturbances to a minimum. The two 6’s I saw this morning have been regulars all fall- not much more for bucks on my cams but I keep hoping one of these does will draw in a new guy. Here’s a better view, not zoomed, of the first small 6 that came into my calls.
F42C96B6-DE81-4294-80E1-8F2ACFB1A0A1.jpeg

61 - 80 of 190 Posts