Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 60 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,218 Posts
Regarding the rule question. I am probably the who made OGB leery. If you do a search of this site, you will find that we had this discussion years ago, and it was decided that you could not carry a firearm and a bow if you intended to shoot a buck with the bow and a doe with the firearm. IIRC there was a line in the guide back then that delineated this clearly. This year I don't see that line, and I have read the section included above. That seems to say that it is legal now, but there is some confusion when you look further. The rules for bowhunting state that you may not carry a firearm with you while you bowhunt, not for the purpose of shooting a deer anyway. The rule above makes it clear that you may carry a firearm to hunt with, but it doesn't say that you don't have to then follow the firearm rules, IE it doesn't make clear to me that you can do what we want to do. We are all thinking the same thing, bring both... shoot a buck with a bow and a doe too far away for a bow with a firearm. I messaged Chad Stewart this morning for clarification, a couple hours ago. I will let you know if he answers.

I am not stirring the pot with this, I don't care what anyone else does... I want to know for my own purposes.
Sam. Who is Chad Stewart.

·
Premium Member
30,789 Posts

·
Registered
9,321 Posts
Just to confirm further, I heard back from Chad Stewart, and he says it is legal. I sincerely apologize for breeding confusion and misunderstanding. I hate it when people that here, and this time it's kinda my fault.
No worries Sam. Obviously also you must be wearing orange while carrying both. The DNR wants all the deer dead. I’m not sure they’d flinch if you brought a cannon out with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts

·
Registered
12,751 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
41 - 60 of 127 Posts