Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

LFTS 12/1/22

4698 66
I’m surprised nobody has started the thread today. Good luck hunters
41 - 60 of 67 Posts
Nice night... Had a few dnf s move thru.
No bucks.

Tomorrow.... I try again.
Oh I thought it was Nov 31st. I hope you know I was joking.
Page 46 in digest gun ends Nov 30 muzzleloader dec 2
Deer are finishing off the last of the rye while the wife and I have been babysitting two grandsons.
Their mom and dad brought home their baby sister and future hunter today.
Back to deer camp.
Sky Tree Plant Natural landscape Fawn

Comfort Textile Baby Toddler Grass
Ah well.
You made up for missing the Nov. 14th rifle opener is all...
:)police: Disclaimer. Don't do it next year. I'm kidding in case anyone is confused.)
Congrats Gramps!

Deer been ignoring my rye.
Deer are finishing off the last of the rye while the wife and I have been babysitting two grandsons.
Back to deer camp.
View attachment 869862
View attachment 869863
Reactions: Airoh
Congrats to all involved 👏
Back to deer camp.
View attachment 869862
View attachment 869863
Lots of movement tonight hope it continues into the morning. Getting excited for the opener!
Anytime you need an extra hand I'd be glad to help you.
Deer in soybeans 2:30 on my way by. Gone at 3:30.

Back and forth to lumber yard. Replaced bad board.
Rehung blind door. (Bad idea solo).
Couldn't find rasp/surform plane in tool box. (Found it there when I got home though...)
Doe that has been crossing shooting lane quick like the last couple times decided to loiter instead today.
Must like Guns and Roses rock blaring from the house down the road.
She frogged around and browsed and kept checking on/for her fawn while I carved on the doorframe with a tiny pocket knife. Fawn crossed after she left the lane.
Bedding is not far away so they probably heard me running screws and such. Doubt they were far when I left. They're my regulars.

Tightened up stovepipe and flange.
I'll bring the plane to finish the door edge where it rubs a little and bring some weather stripping next time.
Ready to hunt again!
First four filed Past the house at 5 followed by a steady stream coming from every direction. Probably 25-30 total, should be a fun weekend out there. Supposed to be sunny and nearly 50 tomorrow. Seems like it will be a perfect night to spill
Some blood. Good luck to all who make it out tomorrow!
I kind of though you were
Looks like I am going to be the first one to post BBD today. After the early archery season and what seemed like a never ending firearm season, I couldn’t wait to hit the woods again and go after a public land buck with my new saddle that I bought on Black Friday and take advantage of this 1 day window where the public land bucks have let their guard down before muzzy season start.

Snuck off work early heading off into the woods for my 2 mile walk. I could park closer, but this new saddle is so light, I figured I could park along side the road further away to save some gas.

As I approached the area that I wanted to hunt I could smell a rutting buck. I quietly made my way to my tree, got setup and applied my carbon infused face paint . Action was slow for the first hour of the hunt. Deer were skittish. Luckily this new saddle kit is ultra quiet and I was able to move and watch without worrying about spooking them but I am a bit concerned that my linemans loops are not the same camo pattern as my Sitka system so I may need to order a different saddle.

While posting about mandatory deer reporting there was some crashing in the bedding area and all the deer I seen froze in place looking back at the bedding.

Was this the rutting buck I smelled earlier?

After 15 minutes of every deer on edge, I started with a very aggressive rattling and grunting sequence. It cleared out all the other deer, but I was not worried. I put on what would be an epic battle between two mature bucks. A fight like that would surely scare any deer, but an equivalent contender.

Not much longer after hanging up my grunt call and rattling antlers on my molle loops with titanium carabiners, a buck emerges from the bedding area on a mission. He is coming right to me ready to see what is going on. Unfortunately he was going to circle down wind and not offer me a great shot. Luckily I am in a saddle and was able to maneuver.

I had to lean straight away from the tree, only one foot on my platform. My tether, ropeman prussick combo was holding rock solid so I twisted my hips clockwise while I pivoted on the bridge counter clockwise to make a 180 degree weakside shot when the buck presented a hard quartering away opportunity.

I ranged him and bottomed out my single pin slider sight at 35 yards. Luckily he wasn't any further away.

I aimed for the exit out in front of the offside leg and let an arrow fly. An eternity passed as my arrow sailed thru the air in what felt like slow motion.

My 2000 grain arrow with a 2 bladed triple bevel fixed broadhead entered right in front of the rear leg and exited out of the brisket.

Boiler Room Shot. This heavy arrow makes my bow so quiet he didn’t even move when I shot and the broadhead was so sharp he had no idea what hit him. He took a few steps, got wobbly and fell. Very fortunate I wasn’t going to have to wait until nightfall to sneak onto the neighboring private land to recover.

I started fist pumping and started sending off text messages to all my buddies. BBD, Smoked him from my saddle, Booyah.

Immediately I started to receive congratulatory text messages with some clear jealousy/envy in what I accomplished

Wow, not what I expected when I read BBD. Congrats I guess...

He could have used a few more years...

Dink!

:rolleyes:

Is that milk on his chin?

Now the real work has started. Got him gutted and sat back and took it all in. There was a little bit of ground shrinkage. Everything looks a little bigger from a saddle, Bet he goes 65-70. Awesome public land trophy. The walk out seemed daunting but, this saddle is so light and I am still conditioned to carrying my old Summit Climber that I decided to throw the deer over my shoulders for the walk back.

This saddle hunting thing is a game changer.

Remember, all hope is not lost after firearm season for us Public Land hunters. This buck is proof.

Wood Fawn Flooring Tail Terrestrial animal

Now off to go post this in Bucks in Trucks.

No actual deer were shot by me today. I do not possess the skill set to hunt down and kill a mature public land BB. I did not shoot that deer or know who did. Randomly sourced internet photo
I was waiting for the Acorn Cruncher to come out of hibernation. I swear they stopped making those because the deer population dropped so fast.
Looks like I am going to be the first one to post BBD today. After the early archery season and what seemed like a never ending firearm season, I couldn’t wait to hit the woods again and go after a public land buck with my new saddle that I bought on Black Friday and take advantage of this 1 day window where the public land bucks have let their guard down before muzzy season start.

Snuck off work early heading off into the woods for my 2 mile walk. I could park closer, but this new saddle is so light, I figured I could park along side the road further away to save some gas.

As I approached the area that I wanted to hunt I could smell a rutting buck. I quietly made my way to my tree, got setup and applied my carbon infused face paint . Action was slow for the first hour of the hunt. Deer were skittish. Luckily this new saddle kit is ultra quiet and I was able to move and watch without worrying about spooking them but I am a bit concerned that my linemans loops are not the same camo pattern as my Sitka system so I may need to order a different saddle.

While posting about mandatory deer reporting there was some crashing in the bedding area and all the deer I seen froze in place looking back at the bedding.

After 15 minutes of every deer on edge, I started with a very aggressive rattling and grunting sequence. It cleared out all the other deer, but I was not worried. I put on what would be an epic battle between two mature bucks. A fight like that would surely scare any deer, but an equivalent contender.

Not much longer after hanging up my grunt call and rattling antlers on my molle loops with titanium carabiners, a buck emerges from the bedding area on a mission. He is coming right to me ready to see what is going on. Unfortunately he was going to circle down wind and not offer me a great shot. Luckily I am in a saddle and was able to maneuver.

I had to lean straight away from the tree, only one foot on my platform. My tether, ropeman prussick combo was holding rock solid so I twisted my hips clockwise while I pivoted on the bridge counter clockwise to make a 180 degree weakside shot when the buck presented a hard quartering away opportunity.

I ranged him and bottomed out my single pin slider sight at 35 yards. Luckily he wasn't any further away.

I aimed for the exit out in front of the offside leg and let an arrow fly. An eternity passed as my arrow sailed thru the air in what felt like slow motion.

My 2000 grain arrow with a 2 bladed triple bevel fixed broadhead entered right in front of the rear leg and exited out of the brisket.

Boiler Room Shot. This heavy arrow makes my bow so quiet he didn’t even move when I shot and the broadhead was so sharp he had no idea what hit him. He took a few steps, got wobbly and fell. Very fortunate I wasn’t going to have to wait until nightfall to sneak onto the neighboring private land to recover.

I started fist pumping and started sending off text messages to all my buddies. BBD, Smoked him from my saddle, Booyah.

Immediately I started to receive congratulatory text messages with some clear jealousy/envy in what I accomplished

Dink!

Now the real work has started. Got him gutted and sat back and took it all in. There was a little bit of ground shrinkage. Everything looks a little bigger from a saddle, Bet he goes 65-70. Awesome public land trophy. The walk out seemed daunting but, this saddle is so light and I am still conditioned to carrying my old Summit Climber that I decided to throw the deer over my shoulders for the walk back.

Remember, all hope is not lost after firearm season for us Public Land hunters. This buck is proof.

View attachment 869881

No actual deer were shot by me today. I do not possess the skill set to hunt down and kill a mature public land BB. I did not shoot that deer or know who did. Randomly sourced internet photo
I only pull out the nut cruncher in October.

Wood Auto part Mallet Fashion accessory Metal
I was waiting for the Acorn Cruncher to come out of hibernation. I swear they stopped making those because the deer population dropped so fast.
Appreciate the kind offer.
You get in the area come summer you're always welcomed out on the tiny property.
(You might scare my resident doe and fawn away during season , ogling them like they're edible or fair game. They're not used to that. Yet.)

I struggle with self induced projects sometimes. We all do! Makes enjoying the results better.
It's just a blind door. And it doesn't drag anymore! Let it snow again.
Rotted board was in a critical location on both ends. One being the approach where it must bear weight. My fault using recycled material there.

Good shooting on your self induced unfinished business out there. A bouncy week in weather is giving all the daytime options /incentives a buck needs to move. Added to some doe fawns and second time around older does coming into season again maybe.
Anytime you need an extra hand I'd be glad to help you.
Congrats!
Not sure if you've been in a tree too long ; or not long enough!

Good write up.
A little light on brand names and sponsors though.

Good catch on taking advantage of deer that after having the morning off from a gauntlet of firearms blaring ; thought they had the evening free as well from hunters.

You going full shoulder or Euro mount?
Maybe a piece of rub tree in the mix of a pedestal mount. Or a licking branch. He might look good locked into another set of antlers on a double mount too!

(Yes I read your disclaimer.)

Dink!

View attachment 869881

I think I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms as I return to work for more than 3 consecutive days for the first time since early October.
Not sure if you've been in a tree too long ; or not long enough
Take some cedar boughs with you. It ll calm you down Plus it smells good
I think I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms as I return to work for more than 3 consecutive days for the first time since early October.
That re-acclimation sucks.

One memorable return to school after nine days tenting and hunting in the U.P. in quiet ; was almost overwhelming.
How can so many people talk at once? And so much?
In later years the conviction of peoples / humans main objective being to make unnecessary noise has just been confirmed over and over. Let alone the volume.
Neighbors shout at each other when they're close. And they're not angry. L.o.l.. Everything else follows suit. Despite my poorer hearing with age.

Most my jobs I wore earplugs. That helped the transition back among the noise.
Stay busy and try not to notice folks running in circles while spinning thier wheels... While I soak up synthetic dust under artificial light. Minding human clocks and timing.
All the while still knowing there's another and more natural clock "outside".
Getting antsy during beginnings and ends of days because it is ingrained to be expecting a natural stirring of creatures on the right clock.
Still do. Indoors or out. Year round.
Ended up seeing 11 different bucks. Weather made a difference. Tomorrow I’m changing stands. I hope I don’t regret it.
You hunting out of state again.
Ended up seeing 11 different bucks. Weather made a difference. Tomorrow I’m changing stands. I hope I don’t regret it.
41 - 60 of 67 Posts