Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

261 - 280 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
I can't believe it, in the first pic you can see the green fletches just sticking out of the back of the deer. WOW!
If you look close at the pic where the deer buckled on impact you can see the fletching as well. Two pics show the fletching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Scared up a buck and few does that he was carousing with when I first came in. I was trying to circle the area to get the wind in my favor but they got my scent way before I was able to get around them. Nothing since. C'mon deer... Light getting low...

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Banned
6,739 Posts
Excitement for the day: watched about ninety minutes ago, a spike chasing young doe all around me, came from a pine stand, weaved through some trees, into some young hardwood, then back again and across a fairly open meadow before dissapearing about two-hundred yards out. Closest they got was about 35 yds at a couple points, moving at a good clip, he didn't look like he could catch her if she didn't want him to. I'm pretty sure it was the wonky spike millennial buck.

Otherwise, just does, still visiting crabapples and apples for the few hangers-on. Few apple trees in some pockets along county roads were still loaded down up to this past week. Cold came quick, about 26ºF.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Had my shooter in sights tonight! Pulled the trigger....
I lobbed it! Freaking missed!!!
Don't know wth happened! 20-25 yds dropped the bow? I think I shot out of over confident (this is a easy shot) well, got my butt handed to me! I'm a little of sob can't believe this! And bummed! But he out looking for a doe! Guess what I have one tied up! ( jk)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Welp. I had one doe meandering abou around after I posted no action, but she stayed about 40 yards out and that's outside of my range. Wasn't a big doe, but I would've been happy to say I got my first deer. Gonna switch up and hit a morning spot before work if weather (and my body) allows.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Serious question... do you guys think deer will spook if they smell a fart?
No, I do not. I've thought about this a fair amount and here is my theory. If you've been in the woods/fields/swamps enough, you should have noticed by now the occasional smell that's pretty darn funky. It could be any one of a number of things. Stale water, dead animal, mushrooms, rotting wood or plants, leaf matter that got its own unique recipe for decay somehow. Who knows... So, along those lines, I don't think a fart spooks a deer. It's one of those occasional aggressive scents that happens and they know it. In fact, I've even wondered if a fart might be successful desperation move to cover your scent when a deer pops up and the wind shifts unfavorably. We smell our farts. We don't smell ourselves. I think deer spook from a scent that is uniquely human, one that we're not really aware of.

Test it. With a doe or buck you don't want to shoot. I've gotten the sudden look, but they didn't spook.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Love Nov. 7... and 4th!! The 2 days that I always see a shooter buck 11 of the last 12 years I have lived here. Could not take the day off so I work from home. Walked out at 4:30 and sat on the ground in a little pinch point between two of my neighbors properties. At 4:50 got I "pinched" buy a very large body buck with a lot of junk on his head. I looked over my left shoulder and he was at 7 yards behind a large tree, I could just see his back half. I drew back and when he started to step from behind the tree, he stopped looking in the other direction. I could see the front part of his shoulder and all I needed was about 6 more inches to make a clean shot behind the shoulder. I tried to lean out a little to get a better angle and his head whipped around and he spotted the movement. He turned directly behind the tree and slowly walked away back form where he came form.

Congrats to those that scored today!

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Well my 2 year old 8 point turned into a 3 year old 10. I blame it on the glasses that I now have to wear beginning in October messing with my depth perception. In reality it all happened crazy fast. I shot him at 1215 and was kind of zoning with my hands in the muff of my IWOM when he showed up 25 yards in front and to the right.
Saw him and decided to shoot, got my hands out of the muff and grabbed my bow hes now straight in front of me. Got my release on and came to full draw hes now 25 to the front and left. I had one hole, put the pin on the hole and as soon as the front of his shoulder hit my pin I fired.
Hit him in the ribs and exited through the far shoulder. He let out a roar at the shot and ran hard. He started losing it just as I lost sight of him and then heard the crash.
From the time I saw him to the shot couldn't have been much more than 10 seconds . Usually after I shoot something with a bow I'm a mess afterwards, this time nothing. Happened too fast.
This was the exact scenario envisioned when we hung this stand in August. North wind during the rut and a buck cruising the downwind edge of the bedding area.

He ran 75 yards and died right next to a lane to get out of the woods.

November 7th has been good to me. Shot this guy, a 148 inch 11 point 4 year's ago, and 120 inch 8 point 5 years ago and a 7 point with 9 inch brows 7 years ago.
Screenshot_20191107-180951_Messages.jpeg
CemVZGGj-19705852.jpeg

261 - 280 of 346 Posts